Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    CV:

Good idea, incorporating these features into TB. BUT, I have a few issues with how they work.

First: Alarm Grabber. For both pages and VM, TB keeps sounding the alarm until I either read the SMS or listen to the VM. That's too much work to shut off the alarm. Treo Alert Manager (TAM) lets me shut off the alarm by simply acknowledging that a page or VM has arrived. That's much better. If I'm in a meeting, or just too busy to read the page or listen to the VM right away, I should just be able to "click" once and shut the darn thing up.

Second: Invisible keyguard. Obviously having it "invisible" is a problem, which you've acknowledged above. With no warning, I forget it's active and keep tapping the screen wondering why nothing happens. Or worse, hit the right button repeatedly to try to ignore a call and the darn thing keeps ringing.

And how is IKG supposed to work. Does it just replicate the functionality of the built-in keyguard, or is it supposed to do more?

I like the way Keepoff works better. Mostly. With Keepoff, I can mute the phone with the power or volume buttons, with only one keypress. And the alpha keys won't mute the ringer accidently. With IKG, it seems the alpha keys will still mute the ringer.

It seems the only features of TB I'm really making use of now are the voicemail waiting LED, and the KLaunch. The KLaunch alone is worth the $5 I paid to register it, btw.
    My 2 cents worth,
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Originally posted by meyerweb
    CV:

First: Alarm Grabber. For both pages and VM, TB keeps sounding the alarm until I either read the SMS or listen to the VM. That's too much work to shut off the alarm. Treo Alert Manager (TAM) lets me shut off the alarm by simply acknowledging that a page or VM has arrived. That's much better. If I'm in a meeting, or just too busy to read the page or listen to the VM right away, I should just be able to "click" once and shut the darn thing up.

My 2 cents worth,
    I agree. Alarms need to stop sounding as soon as things are ack'd. You can certainly keep the LED state until the VM is listened to or the SMS message is read.
  3.    #63  
    Originally posted by stuartr

I agree. Alarms need to stop sounding as soon as things are ack'd. You can certainly keep the LED state until the VM is listened to or the SMS message is read.
    thanks for the comment folks I agree about the design and that's actually what I thought I'd done! The design is that the alarms will stop sounding once you have pressed the centre button once.

Could you double check that this isn't working for you?
    If not - give me as much detail as poss and I'll try to figure out why not.

The only exception here is that the vm led alert will stay lit until you have actually listened to the VM (on working networks only)

Re
    -
    And how is IKG supposed to work. Does it just replicate the functionality of the built-in keyguard, or is it supposed to do more?
    -

IKG is supposed to replace the keyguard as a much simpler alternative. It doesn't do anything clever (like not springing up when you have a phone call) and most importantly - it doesn't interfere with alarms playing (you've all read the threads about alarms not working properly)
    Hobbyist Software
    VLC Remote - Control VLC from your Pre
    Remote - Control iTunes from your Pre
    Originally posted by confusedvorlon
    IKG is supposed to replace the keyguard as a much simpler alternative. It doesn't do anything clever (like not springing up when you have a phone call)
    I think the behavior when the phone rings with IKG is ergonomically confusing. If you want to ignore a call, you have to first press the center button with Answer highlighted, then move to Ignore and press again.
  5.    #65  
    just actually did a test - when the phone rings - the treo doesn't try to put up the keyguard - so the IKG doesn't kick in. E.g. behaviour is as you would expect and want.

Hurrah!
    Hobbyist Software
    I am registered and get this meesage when trying to "disable all "from the main menu:

"(Polite Cough)

Perhaps disabled would like to register Treo Butler? I will remind..."

It does in fact "disable all," but I think the message is incorrect. It shoud say something like: "all settings have been disabled, sir," no?
    I was previously having trouble with Attention grabber crashing the Treo with SMS, sometimes randomly, but every time when an SMS came in while playing Ptunes.

I upgraded my CDMA ROM tonight, which was supposed to fix some SMS issues (which I never experienced unless Attention grabber was active, others, it seems, have had lots of SMS troubles in general on Sprint CDMA)---attention grabber seems to work perfectly now, even with Ptunes!!

Anyone experiencing instability, especially with SMS, should consider the ROM upgrade as Sprint is apparently rolling out new SMS functionality. There's a lengthy thread in the Hardware section on the upgrade. Mine went flawlessly.

Still can't get the alarm to play an MP3....but if SMS stays stable, I'm registering anyway..

John
    OK, I've done some more testing. Here are my results:

For a page alert, TB does seem to stop the alarm after the acknowledgement. I think what was messing me up was maybe that I have to hit the center button twice because the first press only disables (invisible) keyguard.

A voice mail alert seems to work the same way.

But. IKG seems to confuse things. Sometimes, when I get a call, I can just hit Center to answer it, or right / Center to ignore it. Other times, I have to hit Center first to turn off keyguard. This may be related to the IKG timeout, but I'm not sure yet.

In any case, IKG doesn't really seem to offer me any benefit. (Then again, I'm one of those people who seem to be able to use TAM and TB at the same time. I DID disable TAM before doing these tests, btw.) And not seeing any prompt that it's active is very confusing.

If you can make TB do the following, I'd be a very happy camper:

1. Prevent the 3 "special" keys from answering, etc. when the phone rings.

2. Prevent the alpha keyboard from muting the ring when the phone rings.

3. Prevent the 4 hard buttons from muting the phone when it rings, but still allow the volume buttons and power switch to mute the ring.

4. ALLOW the Dpad and Center button to still work to answer calls / select buttons on the screen when a call comes in.

Thanks,
    Bob Meyer
    Originally posted by elysian9
    I am registered and get this meesage when trying to "disable all "from the main menu:

"(Polite Cough)

It does in fact "disable all," but I think the message is incorrect. It shoud say something like: "all settings have been disabled, sir," no?
    This happens to me as well...
  10.    #70  

"(Polite Cough)

Yup - silly error. It's just inserting sir/madam and disabled into the wrong alert message. This does not mean that tb thinks you haven't registered.

DrTango - great that the sms bug is fixed. Still concerned that mp3 won't work for you - would you be willing to work with me to fix this? Please check your private messages if you are. otherwise - if anyone else is having mp3 problems and is willing to work with me to fix them - please pm me.

re phone locking functionality - that's pretty high on the to-do list.
    Hobbyist Software
    It's hard to pin down, and sorry for not being able to provide more info, but the error logs always indicate Treo Butler as the cause, but the odd thing is that I am never actually in TB when the crash happens, so clearly there is a conflict with another app, and my guess is PhoneGuard, even though I'm not in that one either when the reset occurs. It's tough to test because the resets seem random, unpredictable, and are not easily reproducable.
    It's hard to pin down, and sorry for not being able to provide more info, but the error logs always indicate Treo Butler as the cause, but the odd thing is that I am never actually in TB when the crash happens, so clearly there is a conflict with another app, and my guess is PhoneGuard, even though I'm not in that one either when the reset occurs. It's tough to test because the resets seem random, unpredictable, and are not easily reproducable.
    elysian9 ,
    What are you using to read error logs? I'm not that familiar with PalmOS just yet.Thx.
    -- "In the country of the blind, the one-eyed man is king" --
    Originally posted by aolumide
    elysian9 ,
    What are you using to read error logs? I'm not that familiar with PalmOS just yet.Thx.
    Use the main phone app dialer. For GSM, which I know you are, tap # * 377 (err), then tap the dial button, and you will see a log entry of your last reset or error. A very useful feature for troubleshooting stuff.
    Another issue:

Maybe this is intentional, but it doesn't work for me. TB's Alarm Grabber (TBAG) also intercepts calendar alarms. I don't want it to do that. I use Datebk5, which offers far more robust alarm handling than TBAG. More options on tones, on repeats, on delays between alerts. TAM ignores calendar alarms and lets Datebk5 handle them.

There also seems to be a problem with it. Maybe a conflict with Datebk. I got a calendar alert. I told TBAG OK, I was done with it. But the LED stayed orange (OK), the little icon in the top left corner kept flashing (OK), and the alert kept sounding every minute (not OK.) I couldn't figure out any way to make it stop. I finally had to delete TB to shut the thing off. And then had to do a soft reset to turn the orange LED off.

I still like TB for some of its features, and I'll keep using it (I paid for it, after all!). But for the time being, TAM will handle my alerts.
    Bob Meyer
    CV,

Here is some feedback. I have version 0.996 and it seems to be working fine, including MP3 alarms. Few comments to further increase the functionality.

1. IKG works fine BUT it is still very confusing. I understand this is high on your "to do" list. May I suggest that you add a little "lock" sign at the middle bottom of the page to indicate when this functionality is activated. This will drive away a lot of confusion.

2. Some people have suggested to block the special keys that are not blocked by keyguard and are used for answering phone, viz., space, back space, and enter keys. I use these quite often and would like to request if you are planning to block these please make it a user definable functionality.

3. Volume keys work great. Couple of potential improvements, specifically for the application launcher. If the lower volume key is allowed to have an added functionality to enter "OK" if held longer it will improve the application. Secondly, once the selection reaches the bottom of the page some capabilty that makes the "curser" go to the next column will add sideways mobility to the volume keys. These are obviously not very crucial but if you can get to these some time it will of big help.

This is a great app and I am lovin' it!!
    Has anyone else with TreoButler installed tried Lightwav? I'm unwilling to disable TB to see if that's what's conflicting with it, but it isn't working for me.
    Originally posted by confusedvorlon
    So - a few answers and a question

The idea is that TB will mean you don't need attention manager. The two seemed to conflict and as I have no idea why - this seemed the best solution.

The nags should stop as soon as you have pressed the centre button. - I'd appreciate it if you could test to see if that works for you.

I'll try to figure out why having pt active and getting a nag causes a crash.

This app is Treo Butler - so it is intended to replace older versions (once the bugs are worked out)

Finally - are you managing to get mp3s to play for the alarms?

thanks fot the encouragement - and assistance - there's no way I'd get this working properly without everyone trying their own particular circumstance!
    I have been trying out the latest version of Treobutler (0.996) and I really like it so far (I have a CDMA Sprint Treo600).

There are however a couple of issues that I have with it. The biggest one is that whenever I get an alert (voicemail or other alert), the phone screen will stay on until after I actually acknowledge or dismiss the alert. Am I the only one encountering this problem?

The only other issue I have is a far less important one. I have my voicmail indicator set to show "red" when I have voicemail and I have all other alerts set to show "orange." Now I know that the "orange" will supercede any other color until I dismiss the alert. However, once I dismiss the intitial orange alert, the voicemail alert doesn't change to red, it just disapears.
  18. 666
    very nice program so far ans it's solved my biggest let down with the treo600 (gotta have an alarmclock!)
    just one issue with the latest version in that when my alrm goes off in the morning i have to actually go into pocketunes to stop the mp3, is it possible to have it so that i can just touch the sceen to turn it off the same way it used to work when using tone alarms?
    it was a real struggle trying to work my way round the phone this morning in a mad attempt to turn the alarm off before it woke the wife up!

if it's not possible no worries i'll just go back to using tone alarms again since this app definatly works very nicely in all other aspects

also is it possible add more alarm settings?it would be nice to be able to set up more than just my regular morning alarm call, something similar to what megaclock does would be ideal but doesn't have to be quite that good
    Whenever I receive a phonecall and accept it, the KLaunch does not work after I hang up when I am still in the phone application. E.g., if I hold down "M" for "Memo Pad" it would not work while I am still in the phone app after hanging up on the call. If I get out of the phone application then it starts working. I have the KC600 activated, and IKG is also on. I hope this can be addressed.

Thanks!
  20.    #80  
    Originally posted by 666
    very nice program so far ans it's solved my biggest let down with the treo600 (gotta have an alarmclock!)
    just one issue with the latest version in that when my alrm goes off in the morning i have to actually go into pocketunes to stop the mp3, is it possible to have it so that i can just touch the sceen to turn it off the same way it used to work when using tone alarms?
    it was a real struggle trying to work my way round the phone this morning in a mad attempt to turn the alarm off before it woke the wife up!
    A few comments - firstly - if you select 'go to' in the attention manager - it'll open treobutler where you will have the option to turn off pocket tunes (if it's active). Unfortunately this won't actualy dismiss the alarm!

added to to do list - 'OK' will turn off PT; 'go to' will dismiss alarm

also on the to do list (but a fair bit further down) is to add another alarm and add the ability to select which days they go off.

also - no idea why keylauncher stops working after a phone call - will investigate
    Edit: it seems that the phone favourites don't work after recieving a call (try it with tb completely disabled). As tb uses this mechanism, it has the same limitation. This is really one to send to Handspring!

re
    -The biggest one is that whenever I get an alert (voicemail or other alert), the phone screen will stay on until after I actually acknowledge or dismiss the alert. Am I the only one encountering this problem?

I'm guessing you're not using the IKG - in which case tb has to disable the keyguard in order to be sure of playing the alarm sound. IKG should fix that - particularly when it stops being invisible!

Re the voicemail alert - does it work when you don't have any other alarms set? If not - I suspect you're just on a network where that function doesn't work.

You'll see some improvements over the weekend.

Enjoy!
    Last edited by confusedvorlon; 01/29/2004 at 10:46 AM.
    Hobbyist Software
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast