Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    My PCMobile headset thingie arrived this morning.

More info here:

http://pc-mobile.net/tr6aa.htm

A short review based on my initial impressions:

What you get is a small retractable cable thingie, much like the retracable synch cables that are available but smaller. On one end you have a very small 2.5mm jack with a right angle joint. The other end is the mic, an answer button, 3.5mm socket and a tiny weeny switch to switch between Stereo headphones and handsfree telephone modes. It's noticable that this switch is REALLY tiny. There's a volume dial as well, whtich is welcome given that I find PTunes volume control to be a bit "grainy". Also included is a clip to pin the thing to your collar (or whatever) and a single earbud with about 12cm of cable.

When in use the connections all fit nicely. The sound quaility from PTunes doesn't appear to be affected. The clip grips well on the collar of my coat. The single earbud sounds OK, but obvously you're going to want stereo, so I can't really see it getting a lot of use.

If the phone rings while you're listening, you simply flick the switch across and press the answer button. With my earbuds the sound is fine. I'm using Philips earbuds that cost 2 quid at tesco, and they're fine.

In all I can't really fault the functionality of the thing, but it's worth pointing out that the build quality is really poor. The thing feels like it came out of a christmas cracker. But at the end of the day I'm really only worried about the functions and if it'll fall appart. Only time will tell if this little bugger can retain it's structural integrity with my enegretic lifestyle :^)

In summary, it works exactly as advertised, but feels like crap.

Rich
    Well I just can't wait until mid Feb to get these from the website. I've been asking for basically this exact thing from the day the Treo came out. It's disappointing that the build quality doesn't seem to be great, but it's something I'll happily live with.
    Hopefully mine will arrive soon. I can't wait!
    I've got a random question. I know it comes with an ear piece, but it doesn't seem to come with stereo headphones. I suppose this is a feature so that I can use my own headphones, but because my headphones have a long cord, it defeats a lot of the purpose of the retractable cord. I now would have two cords. I suppose I could tie up my current headset, but that's kind of ugly.
    Well, if you reallywant to dedicate pair of 'phones to the Treo, it's not that hard to cut off the existing cable and solder on a new plug from rat shack.
    Originally posted by meyerweb
    Well, if you reallywant to dedicate pair of 'phones to the Treo, it's not that hard to cut off the existing cable and solder on a new plug from rat shack.
    Well I use my headphones on another mp3 player right now, but even so I wouldn't have something to solder anything with or know what I would solder. I was just hoping for a pair of stereo headsets with a mic and a retractable cord. I'm sure it's infinitely complex given the Treo's messed up sound system, but from a consumer point of view it shouldn't be that difficult at all. There are many things like it on the market.
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    I've had a little time to play with this now.

I use the cheapo headphones tied up with a wire closer thing that they came packaged with. I put this bundle of cable through the buttonhole on my coat lapelle and it acts as a hook to keep the whole thing in place. The clip it's supplied with is a bit flimsy and doesn't really grip the cable well.
    It is o.k. but there must be a better option.
    What really bugs me is that the coil retractor is in the middle of the cable WHY if he coil retract device was made to clip on to the phone allowing you to uncoil to answer calls or listen to music, I would be happy.

Sound quality is not that good out of the box. But if you snap in a good pair of stereo head sets .. well then it great. And this is what make the unit nice. The fact that you coudl have high quality head sets of your choice and still maintain the phone mic abilty.

But for me I just wnat it to uncoil from one side.
    Sorry about the typing errors; I'm all thumbs.
    I'm going to go looking for an extension for it, so that I can leave it coiled, yet have it closer to my chest than the Treo (which is normally hanging from a bag on my hip). That should take care of the problmem nicely.
    Originally posted by bmacfarland
    I've got a random question. I know it comes with an ear piece, but it doesn't seem to come with stereo headphones. I suppose this is a feature so that I can use my own headphones, but because my headphones have a long cord, it defeats a lot of the purpose of the retractable cord. I now would have two cords. I suppose I could tie up my current headset, but that's kind of ugly.
    Several earbuds/phones come in a version that has a short cord and an extender. This is specifically for players (mp3, etc.) that have a remote, so that you don't have a lot of extra cord. Usually there is less than 10" of cord from the earbud cord joint. Sony has this one, for example. Generally Sony's with only long cords have "L" in their name; "SL" has an optional extender cord included and "S" is only the short version. I can vouch for the ones above.

That should solve your problem neatly. Good luck!
    Originally posted by TreoTheo

Several earbuds/phones come in a version that has a short cord and an extender. This is specifically for players (mp3, etc.) that have a remote, so that you don't have a lot of extra cord. Usually there is less than 10" of cord from the earbud cord joint. Sony has this one, for example. Generally Sony's with only long cords have "L" in their name; "SL" has an optional extender cord included and "S" is only the short version. I can vouch for the ones above.

That should solve your problem neatly. Good luck!
    Should except that I was hoping for the price it would include a short corded set of earbuds. If I go with a new set of earbuds, the ones I just paid $20 for go to waste, and I have to spend something like another $50 for the ones you suggested. Add the price of the PCMobile set and it's a total of around $75 (not including shipping). That would make my total outlay of just headset ot be $95 (including the earbuds that I have now that would go to waste - though perfectly fine, I don't think I could resell them for much). I was really just hoping for a $25-35 dollar solution that would include a set of short headphones, even if they aren't of the best quality.

It's especially frustrating because it looks like it comes with a mono ear piece, which defeats the whole beauty of the system. If it came with just a stereo earbud instead, I'd save some $50.
    so, other than the earphone issue, how does the device work?
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Other than the earphone issue....

Because you put the stereo earphone into the adapter, the microphone winds up way too low - even if you use the tiny short mono earbud included with it. The sound quality is awesome when using stereo headphones, and downright incredible when pumped through your car stereo. The microphone (when you get it close enough to your mouth to use), is staticy more often than not. It really needs a better microphone and a longer cord.

It's still better than anything else currently available.
    Originally posted by bmacfarland

Should except that I was hoping for the price it would include a short corded set of earbuds. If I go with a new set of earbuds, the ones I just paid $20 for go to waste, and I have to spend something like another $50 for the ones you suggested. Add the price of the PCMobile set and it's a total of around $75 (not including shipping). That would make my total outlay of just headset ot be $95 (including the earbuds that I have now that would go to waste - though perfectly fine, I don't think I could resell them for much). I was really just hoping for a $25-35 dollar solution that would include a set of short headphones, even if they aren't of the best quality.

It's especially frustrating because it looks like it comes with a mono ear piece, which defeats the whole beauty of the system. If it came with just a stereo earbud instead, I'd save some $50.
    Point taken, but if you wanted to listen to an mp3 player with good sound, you'd spend the $50 on replacement earbuds anyway. Personally, I think the sound quality is worth it. But you can find cheaper ones than the ones I suggested.
    Originally posted by TreoTheo

Point taken, but if you wanted to listen to an mp3 player with good sound, you'd spend the $50 on replacement earbuds anyway. Personally, I think the sound quality is worth it. But you can find cheaper ones than the ones I suggested.
    I think the $20 ones that I have from Panasonic are pretty good, but they don't have that kind of attachment. At circuit city I compared all the airbud's frequency responses and all that stuff and it compared favorably with ones that were in the $40-50 range. And it sounds excellent to me.
    Release date: 3rd week in February
    Any one in the US get one yet?

It is the third week in February, but still not able to purchase.

digidep
    I got mine way back before the holidays. I'm still enjoying it. Solved my problem with a cheap stereo bud that I tied up. I leave the winder half out, and it winds up the perfect length.
    is there some trick to ordering one?
    the "buy" link is not active on the website
    Originally posted by rswst8
    is there some trick to ordering one?
    the "buy" link is not active on the website
    You need to change the light bulb first before you can buy.
    Everythng is slow after a long Chinese New Year holiday especially for production business in China.
    There were many parts/parties involved and hiccup in one inevitably held up the whole operation. And ther were a few hiccups.
    Moreover, we had to reject the first batch of production for some reason and that set us back at least another week.

Hopefully (experience shows that nothing can be definite until it is definite), we should be able to take order and ship before the middle of next week.
    http://pc-mobile.net
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast