1.    #1  
    HI there -
    I am trying to become a techie but I wasn't born with the gene. I'm learning as I go on TreoCentral. (Any other sites that could teach would be very aqppreciated) I have a Mac and I love my Treo 600.
    QUESTION:
    I am really into displaying pics (that were taken from another digital camera) on my Treo. I have downloaded SnapperMail and JpegPhoto and PDA Photo. (Any other programs youd recommend would be great)
    HOW DO I COMPRESS A PIC THAT IS LIKE 684K INTO A FORM THAT COULD BE USED IN A SLIDE SHOW OR PIC CALLER ID AND STILL HAVE GREAT QUALITY? The quality of a pic opened in PDA Photo or Treo Pictures SUCKS - opened in JPEG Lite is GREAT BUT TAKES FOREVER TO OPEN. Anyway to make a pic open immediately and still have great quality?
    Does that makes sense? I am willing to buy a new digital camera, memory card or anything that will make pics appear ASAP in the best possible quality. Because, as we know, the screen quality in general isn't so hot.
    THANK YOU THANK To anyone who responds!
    Adam
    For a picture to use with caller id, your only option is the pictures you take with the built-in camera, so that's really a nonissue.

Have you looked at either SplashPhoto or AcidImage? Both are great, versatile programs although I'm not sure if you can use either on a mac. The advantage of programs like these is that they compress the image when importing them. I've seen a few other image programs mentioned lately, including Rescoviewer (?). You might want to try a search, or just go straight to PalmGear and see what turns up. Most programs do offer trial periods so you can see what works for you.
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    For a picture to use with caller id, your only option is the pictures you take with the built-in camera, so that's really a nonissue.

I've taken pictures that I took with my 3.3 megapixel camera, cropped out a face and resized that to 160x160. Then I put that picture in the TRANSFER folder in my Treo Pictures folder on my desktop. After my next hotsync that picture was in my pictures application on the Treo. I was then able to use those pictures for caller id.

Having great quality is going to be hard on a 160x160 screen with 12bit color.

Jason
    Originally posted by jasonsf

I've taken pictures that I took with my 3.3 megapixel camera, cropped out a face and resized that to 160x160. Then I put that picture in the TRANSFER folder in my Treo Pictures folder on my desktop. After my next hotsync that picture was in my pictures application on the Treo. I was then able to use those pictures for caller id.

Jason
    Actually ANY picture you can get on your SD card can be transfered to local memory using the pictures app.
    I use Splash Photo with my Mac and Treo and I am quite satisfied with the photo quality. Even quality of videos are not bad on the Treo at all.

Also you can use any picture or image, from your Mac, for caller ID and for Treo Wallpapers for that matter. For those that I use for caller ID or Wallpaper I email them to me as attachment. When I retrieve the email from my Treo, they get loaded to the Camera photos automatically. However, the pictures that you will transfer to your Treo through the Splash PHoto cannot be used for Picture ID
    Ed
    Originally posted by jasonsf

Jason
    Jason could you please tell us how to use pictures for caller id? I took a look at my Treo Pictures and phone program but don't see how or where this is done. I have the Sprint version Treo.

Thanks
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    Originally posted by GeekyMom
    Jason could you please tell us how to use pictures for caller id? I took a look at my Treo Pictures and phone program but don't see how or where this is done. I have the Sprint version Treo.

Thanks
    You have to set up your contact as a favorite from within the phone application. From within the favorite settings you can define a picture to be used for caller id. Hope that helps.

Jason
    Great tip! I sized a picture down to 160x160 and e-mailed it to myself. When opening the attachment I was offered the choice of opening it with SplashPhoto or the camera application. Once I opened it with the camera application it was available to use for caller i.d.
    Ditto that! This is awesome knowing how to do yet one more thing with "My Baby."

Thanks again Jason.
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
    I had a nice big digital picture that I wanted to use as my backdrop - I pulled it up on my computer and took a picture of my computer screen with my Treo. Kinda cheezy, but it was quick and easy - and you don't really notice much quality degradation because of the small screen anyway...
    A related question: I too am a Mac person, and so don't have the Treo Pictures desktop app (right?). I am trying to get a jpg from my Mac to the phone, and then use it as wallpaper. So far I have tried:
    * putting the file on my SD card via card reader, both outside and inside of various folders. Photos doesn't see it.

* putting it into SplashPhoto Desktop and doing a hot sync. it didn't show up.

* taking a picture of the Mac screen with the Treo's camera (as suggested above) It saved to the card (didn't ask me) and I get a "bong" when I try to select "set wallpaper" in the Photos app. So I . . .

* tried to use Filez to move the file to the handheld. It won't let me move this file, or several others I've tried. I just d/l this today, and can't get it to work at all for moving files. It says something like "an error prevented the file from being moved"

Can anyone help? I have also emailed it to myself, but since I have no cell service at my house, I will have to drive into town to attempt this method. I'm headed there now--I'll let you know what happens!

Thanks to all!
    Okay, emailing it worked beautifully--now all I need is a signal at home, so it doesn't require a field trip to check these things!

I would still appeciate any comments on getting the other methods to work.
    For those who say that when they take a picture it defaults to their SD card, why not just pull the SD card out before you take the picutre?

Also for those of you who are cheap like me, instead of emailing the picture try sending it via MMS, usually much cheaper than what they charge for using "internet" airtime.

Another note. It is not necesary to resize the picture before you send it to yourself. They key is to save the pictures with the rest of you Treo Pictures. Has anyone tried putting pictures right on your "Treo Pictures" folder on your computer, then as you HOTSync the pictures just copy themselves in, now there is an idea huh?

Now, it is a pain in the rear that Treo doesn't give one many choices "browse" the SD card and the internal memory when trying to associate picture with caller id.
    Let me add my .02 cents here. One of BEST IMAGE VIEWERs for PalmOS has to be Resco Viewer. I heartily recommend this over options. If you really want Tiff support, then just get Photogather which is much better deal than AcidImage IMO. In addition, another advantage of Resco is the feature that allows you to move images from the SD card into ram and vice versa. AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $no$ $other$ $viewer$ $does$ $this$. $Finally$ $another$ $viewer$ $that$ $needs$ $to$ $be$ $mentioned$ $here$ $is$ MyAlbum from Toysoft which actually lets you zoom in and resize images natively on the Palm w/o a desktop conduit...

Anyway as others have stated, the best way to view images taken from another digicam is to resize them and then transfer them via a conduit like with Resco. If you want the Treo Picture App to have access to the image, then you have to transfer using the transfer conduit of Treo Picture on the desktop. Right now there is no app that can natively move images into the Treo picture app library natively on the Treo (I emailed Resco about this but they said they didn't want to do this b/c it would be "dangerous"? ) Anyhoo...I hope that helps...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    I've given up on trying to have fun with the Treo camera. I've gone out and bought myself a credit card sized LCD camera and taking real pictures now.

Really, by the time one goes through the guts, humiliation and balls it takes to take out a camera, take a picture of people, to have the outcome be a treo picture and get no results was not worth it.

I thank treo for reintroducing me to the camera world. Its like a personal diary kind of, when one is out there taking frequent pictures.

So now I carry the treo and the camera. Make sure you get a small one. From a $ 150 2 Oz exilim casio to a $ 500 Sony T1 6.2 oz, make sure you get one that hides behid a credit card. Otherwise it will hide behind a layer of dust.

One day Treo will give us hi res and a decent 2 mega. THEN its worth the graphic talk. For now at 160 x 160 what are we doing?