1.    #1  
    I mean, I've been using the blazer browser 3 and I do see an option to add the proxy, IM I MISSIN SOMETHING HERE????

Should I switch back to blazer two? is it faster?
    Originally posted by godfather
    I mean, I've been using the blazer browser 3 and I do see an option to add the proxy, IM I MISSIN SOMETHING HERE????

Should I switch back to blazer two? is it faster?
    Usually when they refer to "Proxy-Based" it means there is an Automatic cache-proxy, say at Sprints servers (for Sprint users). AOL is a big example of this.

This kind of setup reaps maxim benefit from a Cache-Proxy, as the more users that use the Cache-Proxy, the more likely that someone else has already asked for the page and it has a cached version which would be delivered to you faster.

If you enter your own Proxy in the configuration, you probably wont have as many people using it, thus a smaller cache and less of a speed increase.

Some Proxies attempt to compress graphics to make them a smaller filesize. From my web browsing experience, this would benefit the Treo.
    Pete
  3.    #3  
    Originally posted by PeteEMT

Usually when they refer to "Proxy-Based" it means there is an Automatic cache-proxy, say at Sprints servers (for Sprint users). AOL is a big example of this.

This kind of setup reaps maxim benefit from a Cache-Proxy, as the more users that use the Cache-Proxy, the more likely that someone else has already asked for the page and it has a cached version which would be delivered to you faster.

If you enter your own Proxy in the configuration, you probably wont have as many people using it, thus a smaller cache and less of a speed increase.

Some Proxies attempt to compress graphics to make them a smaller filesize. From my web browsing experience, this would benefit the Treo.
    so is blazer 3.0 (the one included with the 600) proxy based??? u think using 2.0 for example would make my web experience faster on the treo 600
    Last edited by godfather; 01/21/2004 at 11:07 PM.
    Never used 2.0 so I don't know

As for 3 being Proxy-based, it seems not to be by default, but I just read on another thread of problems with Blazer on Verizon that makes them think Sprint may indeed be using a proxy.
    Pete
    My observations from web browsing on the Treo 300 vs. the Treo 600, both on the Sprint network...

Treo 300 (Blazer 2) used a proxy server. Pages were shrunk and graphics reduced before sending the page from the proxy server to the Treo. The number of bytes needed to download the same web page was less than using the Treo 600. However, the Treo 300 had a much slower processor, and seemed to process these bytes much slower.

The Treo 600 (Blazer 3) processes the incoming bytes much faster, but since it is not using a proxy server, is required to process more bytes to download the same web page.

While Treo 600 seems to be faster overall in downloading web pages, it is not as much faster as I had hoped.

I would think that using a proxy server with the Treo 600 would result in a further speed increase, but some who have tried it say this isn't necessarily the case.