1.    #1  
    Disregarding the software aspects and that of having two units at all times; PDA and a phone: Pros and cons between the Treo 600 and iPaq h4350? What would you choose?
    I've used Palms starting at III, and I tried a pocket pc device when it came out. I tried carrying a cell phone with PIM sync.

Now, I carry a Treo 600. Your request to compare the two devices without looking at software or combined phone is like asking us to compare apples and oranges but don't count taste, or color.

My major reason for buying the Treo 600 was that this was the first device that really felt like a phone that had the Palm OS on it. It was a device that gave as much consideration to the phone features as to being a PDA. The first set of pocket pc devices with wireless phones on them reminded me a lot of the old Handspring Visors with that cell phone springboard. It looked like you were holding a VHS tape to your head.

I'm not sure why you asked the question, but the real question is, what are you looking for in a device? Your requirements should dictate which one fits the best.
    I own both.

I actually haven't used the 4350 since December. It is just too inconvienient to carry two devices. I found myself quickly switching over to the Treo purely out of sub-conscience convienience. I originally bought the 4350 for its great wireless features and iPaq name. I was reluctant about the Treo 600 because of its' 1) low screen, 2) low memory and 3) low-resolution screen.

1) I have not only gotten by with the Treo 600's wireless connection I prefer it to Wi-Fi or bluetooth. It is very easy to use and is blazingly fast for what it has to do...no it isn't cable modem speed or even a DSL line...but it is more than fast enough to do everything I want without waiting...plus I can use pqa's for enhanced speed.

2) I had issues with the treo's speed in the begining...until I learned how to utilize my SD card for programs and space. I now use a little under half of the available memory on the device while using a pretty big chunk of my 512mb SD card. I find that the Treo 600 handles programs on the SD card more efficiently than the 4350...even with its blazing speed. Also I seem to find that the Palm software is considerably smaller in size than that which is written for the PocketPC...maybe this is why it seems to run faster.

3. The screen on the palm being only 160x160 is not the same thing as a high-res screen. If there is one gripe about this device it would be the screen. However in comparison I would rather have the 160x160 screen on my Treo 600 than the High-res but VERY YELLOW screen on my 4350. The 4350 really has a poor screen. My photos look unnatural at anything but a direct angle view. I have gotten used to the lower resolution screen of the Treo and find that because the physical size of the screen is smaller the pixels layout is much denser, therefore making the photos look smoother than on a normal low-res device. Overall I am satisfied...the colors are vibrant and clear, the brightness is amazing and the viewing angle is enormous.

Okay,
    In summary I suppose that I seem a little slanted towards the Treo...but I am not a Palm Rules PPC Sucks kind of person. I really like the PocketPC platform and have enjoyed using it in the past. I just prefer the Palm now after trying both. The speed is amazing. I know that the processors are drastically different but when I search for a contact out of my contact list, around 5000 contacts, the Treo 600 finds it noticably faster. I searched by company name and by last name and the Treo 600 took less than 2-seconds to find it and the 4350 took over 40-seconds. I don't know why this is...but when I am looking for a contact speed matters. There are many more features that could be explained and spoken of but I guess it boils down to usage. As I have said before I have owned PDA's since 1996 and HAVE NEVER REALLY USED THEM. I have always tried to use my PDA's but could never leave the paper planner behind. Didn't want to carry another device in addition to my cellphone. Carry keys in one pocket and cell in the other. That left the pda either bulging out of the phone pocket, being scratched-up by my keys or dorking out my belt. (no offense intended). I wanted to use the previous pda's but I was always trying to find a way to "get in the habit of using them" Now that one is built into my cellphone it is truely second nature. I actually started with both the Treo 600 and the 4350 carrying the Treo 600 as just a cellphone and the 4350 as my palm. Slowly...then quickly...I found myself using the Treo 600 "instead of" my 4350. Quickly after realizing this I made the dedicated decision to try just the Treo 600. That is the last time I touched the 4350.

I hope that you find my comments helpful in your decision.

Whatever your decision I wish you the best of happiness with the device you choose.

<><
    mykul
  4.    #4  
    My primarey usage is:

1 - Receive and respond to short e-mails (not edit attachments on the unit for then to send on)
    2 - Write and send short e-mails (not write attachments as Word and Excel for then to send on)
    3 - Receive and view faxes via email in TIF format
    4 - Download Word documents to the PDA, edit and then upload
    5 - Browse the web (news and stocks primarely)
    6 - Access and edit contact list (700 contacts) and call through phone
    7 - Access and edit calendar, tasks and notes (memos)
    8 - Able to jot down notes freehand
    9 - Access and edit simple database
    10 - Access to dictionary
    11 - Clock (check time in a variety of cities)
    12 - A photoalbum

I need a PDA with long battery life. Wi-Fi not important. I am fine using two units (I am using a Treo 600 now, and still use the mobile separate). Actually I prefer two units; the phone is with me all the time and sometimes (70% of the time), and it gives me more battery life. Some days I am on the phone 3-4 hours per day. On the PDA. I prefer a comfortable screen, good keyboard (a PDA without a keyboard for me would not be the best thing). I will need to use the phone and PDA both in formal and leisure contexts. I hope this describes the requirements and type of usage. Look forward to your comments.
    Originally posted by pacpac
    Disregarding the software aspects and that of having two units at all times; PDA and a phone: Pros and cons between the Treo 600 and iPaq h4350? What would you choose?
    How can you disregard the fact that one has a phone in it and the other doesn't? Seems like you are going out of your way to promote the iPaq.
    For the uses you have described above I cannot see a reason to keep using the 4350. The only advantage it would have is the larger screen and higher-resolution. these things would help your freewritten note-taking...but as for all other uses...I think that using the 4350 is just adding an extra step and device.

<><
    mykul
    My primarey usage is:

1 - Receive and respond to short e-mails (not edit attachments on the unit for then to send on)
    2 - Write and send short e-mails (not write attachments as Word and Excel for then to send on)
    12 - A photoalbum

Both devices do all the above, and quite well. The only consideration I see is that Palm searches contacts faster (as was previously posted), and whether to use Quick Office for Palm or Pocket Word.

If you don't mind or prefer two devices, then the HP wins, why carry the extra baggage of a phone if you already have one in your pocket? As stated before, what I see in the Treo is the balance of two devices that I get to carry (and yes, I dork out my belt) as one device.
    My primarey usage is:

12 - A photoalbum

The Treo600 can do all these functions well. The advantages of the h4350 is wifi, higher rez screen, and more roomy thumbboard. It also depends if you prefer PalmOS vs PPC which is an entirely different discussion. Also the whole one device concept is big here. You say you prefer two devices, then why are you considering the Treo600? If you want an all-in-one convergence device with thumbboard and decent size get the Treo600 (the G1000 is a monstrosity)...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    pacpac asks the Q but then says he is already using a treo 600? why would u buy an ipaq then? u've already got what u need!?! this smells fishy . . .
    Treo, Treo, Treo. It is the greatest device you will ever own. What sets it apart from the pack is the phone and all of the calling features that come with it. You won't find any other device that does everything Treo can do.
    "Those left standing will make millions writing books on the way it should have been"
    I think it comes down to convienience. I've used a number of PDAs, cell phones, PDA/Bluetooth Cell and finally the Treo.

I initially thought that a bluetooth/PPC combo would be the ultimate setup. I've used a Sony T616 with both a Clie TG50 and an iPaq 2215. While a hi-res screen is nice, it simply isn't worth the connection hassles.

I can tell you that the Treo beats the other combinations hands down. It's just damn easy to use. You can literally send an email, with one hand, while driving

It's more than just the hardware. the navagation implementation is dead on. I can do 90% of what I have to with just one hand.
    I've got both and I would recommend the Treo 600 here's a short summary of why.

You aren't going to surf the internet like you think on a pocket pc. When they come out with a VGA screened one you will but until then, it isn't gonna happen. I think many people are fooled.

The second reason is the need for always on internet. When you have the pocket pc with bluetooth and you receive data, it won't process it unless it is on. This is a serious disadvantage.

The thing you'll miss about pocket pc if you have it is the contact management. The contacts on the palm aren't nearly as sufficient. They need 2 addresses. You'll also miss wireless activesync. I use the Treo 600 regulararly. Pocket pc sits in the basement. Go with the 600 you won't regret it.
    My primarey usage is:

12 - A photoalbum

I need a PDA with long battery life. Wi-Fi not important. I am fine using two units (I am using a Treo 600 now, and still use the mobile separate). Actually I prefer two units; the phone is with me all the time and sometimes (70% of the time), and it gives me more battery life. Some days I am on the phone 3-4 hours per day. On the PDA. I prefer a comfortable screen, good keyboard (a PDA without a keyboard for me would not be the best thing). I will need to use the phone and PDA both in formal and leisure contexts. I hope this describes the requirements and type of usage. Look forward to your comments.

PPC has the capability to receive, respond, edit, including manipulating various standard office file attachments. The email apps will also work as full email client able to connect via BT/WiFi/IR/cradle or IR/BT modem.

If built in email client is not sufficient, here is an email client replacement.
    http://www.pocketinformant.com/Mail.php

TIFF is a standard feature in a lot of image editor. What is more the h4355 is able to send/receive Fax directly. (act as a fax machine)
    http://www.ksesoftware.com/products/...2/default.html

full featured wordprocessor is available. Textmaker is a full service wordproc than can open/edit/save/manipulate major office files format.
    http://www.softmaker.de/tmp_en.htm

there is also specialized viewer to open all office files
    http://www.westtek.com/clearvue.htm

4355 has built in browser, but if that is not suffienct there are 2 other browser replacement.

sample view how browser look on 4355. (it can also uses resolution changer)
    http://www.wince.ne.jp/snap/ceSnapView.asp?PID=1584

But specifically to stock, there are more than enough stock software and data service. Some free, some pay service. Some of apps is simple freebie stock ticker feed, another have more elaborate data management.

http://www.pocketx.net/products/psm.html
    http://www.siliconmachines.com/pocketcharts/index.htm
    http://www.pocketquotes.net/index.html

more
    http://www.pocketgear.com/software_browse.asp?cat=71

depending how elaborate your PIM need is, the top PIM apps in PPC is pocket Informant. It has more than enough customization and hook to all sort of data. Most people who have thousands of contacts and appoinment use this, because of how far it can be customized.
    http://www.pocketinformant.com/PocketInformant.php

It is a built in functionality, and of course there are more than enough total replacement.

screenshots of built in notes
    http://www.cewindows.net/wce/42/wind...iscscreens.htm

the high end replacement.
    http://www.phatware.com/calligrapher/

12 - A photoalbum

Survey those apps here.
    http://www.pocketgear.com/

in general you can find a freebie low end all the way to elaborate full features $20-30 apps with all sorts of functionalities.

for cities, you can not only get clock, but there are also online service, city guides, city map+GPS, talking/phrase dictionaries, traveling guide, travel log/manager, etc.

h4135 characteristic:
    it has the biggest battery in the market, replaceable, including optional large battery. This is convinient when traveling and using WiFi to access hotel/airport hotspot.

the h4135 also capable of playing full length movie (.mpeg compression) or able to do voice recording, including attaching it to email/office documents.

The biggest feature however is GPS/voice auto router via BT. It works surprisingly well in a lot of situation.

Another type of apps you might be interested is free form note/database. It's a cross between, diagram and todo list. It can have multimedia, graphical notes, calender/PIM item attached and organized in graphical form.

pocketmindmap
    http://www.pocketmindmap.com/Docs/PMM_EN/tour1.ASP
    mindjet
    http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/foru...1226757f972537

cheers.
    Last edited by suskind; 01/28/2004 at 07:20 PM.