Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Does everyone remember when the T600 was coming? Remember all of the hubub when the details showed up on the FCC web site months and months before its availability? Remember that the FCC just now showed glimpses of 2 new Sonys on the way a few months from now?
    No way a T610 shows up until it appears on the FCC web site because of Bluetooth! No way is it coming in the next few months, if ever!
    A voice of reason? Gee, you're no fun <g>.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    When companies execute correctly, they notify the FCC to go ahead and give tenative approval but request that the FCC not make it official until a certain date. At least that is how I understand it. I don't think this is proof that there isn't going to be a Treo610.

Side note - My guess is that Sony leaked this info (didn't ask the FCC to withhold) because they are getting hit hard by the Palm T3 which they have no real answer to.

Jake
    Jake Pratt
    www.jakepratt.com
    The TREO 600 appeared on the FCC web site on July 21:

-- http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...threadid=35028

and was ... ahem ... launched in what, September?

So, okay, rumored intro date of TREO 610 is March 1st earliest (April 1st? Good day...). Working backwards the same number of days I think we have a couple weeks of rampant exuberant discussion left before we should continue THIS thread!
    True, but last year Handspring was trying to get people to wait for the Treo rather than buying other smartphones like the Sanyo.

Now it's different. The Treo 600 is a pretty solid product and they want to keep it selling rather the preempt it's sale.

BTW: I have no idea if and when a T610 will come out.
    Originally posted by JakePratt
    When companies execute correctly, they notify the FCC to go ahead and give tenative approval but request that the FCC not make it official until a certain date. At least that is how I understand it. I don't think this is proof that there isn't going to be a Treo610.

Side note - My guess is that Sony leaked this info (didn't ask the FCC to withhold) because they are getting hit hard by the Palm T3 which they have no real answer to.

Jake
    So I'd be logical to consider that Palm might be pulling the exact same stunt as Sony did in fear of the pending iPaq 6300?

Very likely, I think...
    I'm not sure I understand why everyone is having such a hard time believing that a new Treo may be around the corner. I thought everyone would be excited when it was announced, not in denial!

I think it was mentioned that the Treo hit the FCC site in July, started shipping in October and was widely available by December. So the new Treo hits the FCC in February, starts shipping in May and is widely available by August. That's a 9 month refresh. That's a reasonable time between models.

The rumored Treo 610 doesn't appear to be a completely new model, simply an upgrade of the existing unit. Most of the rumors describe only screen, memory and bluetooth upgrades. I wonder if this is a "value add" improvement due the changes required for higher power SDIO slots for bluetooth radios? Rather than upgrading the slot, they simply add a BT chip. Either way, assembly lines will probably require minimum modification and BINGO, Palm has a super competitive product to compete with the new iPaqs.

Makes sense to me...
    I don't believe filings need to placed for enhanced models when it involves improved screens, more memory, voice recording or even BT. The wireless technology used for accessing the FCC licensed channels is no way affected by any of the proposed or rumored enhancements expected or being discussed.

Look for an upgrade in March.
    It makes absolutely no business sense, that they currently have a product that they cannot keep on the shelves its so hot. Now they are going to come out with a new and improved version and essentially kill the sales of the 600. Just not logical... Im thinking more like July 04' .
    I thought the reason for the low res screen was to save battery usage. Is the 610 going to have a better battery or use the battery faster?
    PALM, now palmOne, has a "tradition" of Spring/Fall product intros. For some reason my failing memory says PalmOne management addressed the Spring intro question during the latest earnings call or maybe analyst day or something presentation. For some reason that same failing memory says something somewhat negative was said like "We have a history of Spring/Fall product intros but maybe not this time".

Again, I have no idea why my failing memory says this but it actually might be checkable by going to palmOne's Investor Relations site and seeing if they have transcripts or recordings still available - my own interest in this particular matter isn't strong enough to get me to do it...

===

Just an added-later addendum - though I didn't listen to the Analyst Day presentation, I did just skim over the earnings call transcript and found nothing reinforcing my vague memory...
    Last edited by SeldomVisitor; 01/22/2004 at 06:13 AM.
    This upcoming device may have prompted the Treo 610 refresh:

www.brighthand.com/article/RumorMill_Picture_and_Details_of_iPAQ_h6300?site=PPC

I see this device taking a huge bite of the Treo's target market. Not only are the specs hot, but HP has the marketing muscle to make it a success.

I'll bet dollars to donuts that Verizon is already qualifying the new iPaq.
    Originally posted by ToeCutter
    This upcoming device may have prompted the Treo 610 refresh:

www.brighthand.com/article/RumorMill_Picture_and_Details_of_iPAQ_h6300?site=PPC
    This might be a fake.

If true, the reports are that the KB is an attachment.

ie another pretender.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    ToeCutter:

Very interesting - where did the brighthand page go - can't access from shortcut or if you type directly into address bar?
    Palm's quality control could learn a lot from hp, thier handhelds are top notch. If they would only liscense the palm os, life would be sweet!
    Originally posted by dstrauss
    ToeCutter:

Very interesting - where did the brighthand page go - can't access from shortcut or if you type directly into address bar?
    Cut and Paste the link into your browser as is in ToeCutter's initial post, and add the protocol scheme (http://). It's still accessible.
    -- "In the country of the blind, the one-eyed man is king" --
    I really hope that picture is a fake for HP's sake...it's the ugliest thing in the world...period, ever. The ugliness of that device could single handedly destroy the entire remote computing push. Excuse me while I call the optometrist to see about having two buring holes in my eyes patched.

-Rob
    Global Posts
    598 Global Posts
    What I haven't seen anyone say yet is that the Treo "610" might be a new model. PalmOne has many models that have different specs. This new Treo might be a more expensive Treo 600. One is say $500 and the other is say $650. That would be the idea for the better screen and BT. Who knows, maybe they'll use a business version without the camera and lower res screen, great battery. The more expensive consumer version will have all the good stuff, like better screen, BT, camera, etc. My two cents.

Joe
    FCC doesn't require re-registration of product if no new, or changed wireless features. Therefore the 610 is certainly possible for a march release...just don't expect bluetooth.

I for one think that it will happen. It would allow Palm to get their brand on one of the hottest selling products and really improve their WoW factor to investors before their March 31st quarterly report to investors.

The incorporation of more memory and a high-res screen are simple swaps of parts...not any redesign whatsoever...not even a difference in fab process...Just put a different mem module, camera and different screen in the production. I have been told by a friend that they have already begun the process of aquiring the new camera, screen and memory modules so that they can change production in late January early February. The only thing that they seem to be waiting on is the rom change in OS. It appears that they have all the software converted to be 'Palm' branded and even have a few new features that I can't talk about. The big sticking point is weather they will have Java capabilities yet. Verizon is supposidly waiting until the Java capabilities are there so that they can sell their software and addons, before they release the Treo 600 on their network. Palm is trying desperatly to acheive this so that they can not only introduce an upgrade to the product but also an agreement to provide them for the nations largest carrier.

If they get Java worked out expect the announcement WITH IMMEDIATE AVAILABILITY to be made March 1st. Also the model number will be Treo 610. They have decided to keep the numbering series in 10's until Q4 2004 when they intend to release the Palm Treo 7 (instead of the 700) which will essentially be the same as the current model with the change of OS being Palm 6 and a new processor and possible PTT button added to right side. Expect FCC pictures and information in July.

<><
    mykul

I guess when Palm/Hanspring decided to layoff old handspring employees they should have had them sign new Non-Disclosure agreements
    Originally posted by mykbol
    I guess when Palm/Hanspring decided to layoff old handspring employees they should have had them sign new Non-Disclosure agreements
    This sucks. My hopes are now up.

Look what you did!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast