1.    #1  
    Hello,

Does anybody know a good GPS system for the TREO 600 ? I mean a real GPS system with a good software that can be used on a boat.

Thank you in advance
    I use a Serial GPS w/ Mapopolis Navigator works great, no gotchas. there are a number of sites with deals, I got my through buygpsnow
    Just do a quick search for GPS on this forum. I've seen a few threads with different setups that people are using.

cash70
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
    I can tell you the following. I spoke to mapopolis about 6 weeks ago in reference to it's latest software, it will work where ever a car can go. So if you want it for a wlaking trip on a city it will do fine. However, I have no idea if it will work on a boat. You might need a general purpose gps and not one made for roads, etc. I would do a search on this site and then ask each manufacter iwhat software it uses and if it woill work for a boat as relation to roads. Take care, Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    The GPS won't matter, it is just a reciever. The mapping software is the issue when using it on a lake. Most of the mapping software is designed to show roads. In the Navigator maps major bodys of water are shown but not detailed (e.g. shorelines, etc...) You can tell you are in the lake but thats about it. You could use Map Edits to register the longitude and latitude of a particular location on the lake and then navigate to it using the GPS screen however.
    Thanks that is about what I assumed as well, take care, jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Does anybody know if these can be used together? The car kit seems to cover up most of the treo (ATT one) and I do not know exactly how the mapopolis works.
    Ok hi, from the photos the car kit is cut out for the shape of the phone, It seems ot "fit in" to the car kit in effect it recesses into the charger.

The igolf unit will not fit into the car kit, at least from what it looks likfe from the photos.

I have a different approach. I am on sprint and the car kit for sprint is not on the market yet.

I have a car charger with a cable and a suction cup type holder for the phone. I have a unit that fits onto the headrest and contains a speaker for your left ear and a boom mic for your mouth on the right side, It pulgs into the treo with an adapter. so I will have room for the igolf since the phone has, clear "head space" over the top of the phone.

I have no idea what HS was thinking, from the design of the car kit/charger. By blocking most of the space above the sd card slot, they have blocked the use of what them must have know would be upcoming producxts.

In additon, the whole thing costs abotu $50! take care, Jay
    I think I will consider a seperate device for now, looks like there is a problem when there is an incoming call w/ mapopolis too.
    Thanks
    Originally posted by scarletcue
    Does anybody know if these can be used together? The car kit seems to cover up most of the treo (ATT one) and I do not know exactly how the mapopolis works.
    The carkit manufacture has their own GPS solution (ChauffeurTalk ) that is due out in the US this year.

http://www.lbszone.com/news/11212003_4.html
    Hi, that would not work for me. I am looking for a unit that can be held in one hand and used on a wlking tour of a city and would require nto carrying anothing other then my treo 600, so that lets out the mouse, the garmin handheld units and from waht I gather this unit as discribed int he aboive link. take care, jay
    I have this device. The drivers are NOT yet available. It was given as a gift for christmas for golf for my T600.

It was shipped with mapolis for pocket PC with the promise that the moment the PALM version is available, the software will be shipped.

Anyway, the point is that I have the car kit from SEDIO and it works fine. I inserted the SD GPS card into my T600 while mounted in the car and it also has no problem fitting in the car mount (vent attached model) while the card is attached.

Seems that this might be a nice solution once the drivers are available.

Hope this helps.

Ed.
    I traded emails with igolf today. I want to use their solution on the road for work (Who wants to haul all that cabling on airplanes)

they told me the driver is done and has been given to Mapopolis for software testing and a mod. to their software to handle the driver. They said this work is expected to complete over the next week. I guess we are in "wait and see" mode.

Till then the Serial GPS solution has worked great for me using a generic "Vent Mount" for the T600, using the normal speaker to get the turning instructions.
    got my fingers crossedthat it will finally show up. I ordered it a month before the 11/15/03 shipping date. I hade hoped to check it out for both a walking a driving trip to Las vegas. However, it was not meant to be. In addition, our flight was about 14 hours late, so we lost a day off the vacation. Oh well, what can you do, take care, Jay