1.    #1  
    Although I use a Palm VII when I travel to connect to AOL to read my email, the technology is old and slow by today's standards.

My wife has seen and admired the Blackberry, but it is not available to us, as we use Mac OS X and AOL email (I hate AOL too, but we keep it for historical purposes; we use Netscape on top of SBC DSL to access our AOL email at home, so as to avoid AOL software).

That brings me to the Handspring Treo 600. It appears that AOL for Palm 3.1 "may" work with the Treo.

We also have our choice of Cingular, Sprint and possibly T-Mobile for its use.

My wife and I are currently on Verizon, and it is not clear to me if we could purchase a "naked" Trea 600 for CDMA and get Verizon to activate it.

One advantage of Verizon, not well publicized, is that they offer the "Mobile Office" - a Verizon ISP by cellphone for no additional charge; i.e., it uses only your mobile minutes. I use this feature when I connect my cellphone to my Powerbook G4 to access the Internet when a HotSpot is not available.

How is email accessed on this device? That is, do you call into an ISP and then get ur email, or does the cellphone company provide an ISP. Is it "always on?"

Is there a stationary "hands-free" device available for her car, such as we have from Nokia, so that she can just pop the Treo into it and talk handsfree easily without the need to plug into a cigarette lighter. Also the Nokia device provides a handset, so that she can have privacy in the car when needed.

Any and all observations about this use would be appreciated. Thanks.
    Any photos?
  3.    #3  
    Originally posted by The Chupacabra
    Any photos?
    Here tis... Be sure to post a photo of your wife!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    moving sprint 600 to verizon, from what I have read on this site, is possible. Some ppl have done it, but from what I remember, it is complicated and then you only get voice not data.

I believe PalmOne has stated that they are talking to verizon to include the 600 in their line up. Somewhere there is an online petition.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    If she wears her fingernails long, have her try typing on one, first. Personally, I can't imagine typing on it with long fingernails. In fact, since getting the Treo 600 I cut my nails a LOT more often than I used to. At least my thumbnails.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    My fingernails extend about 3/16" past the tip of my finger and I have no trouble typing. (except "T" and "R" for some reason)
    Originally posted by MichaelLAX
    How is email accessed on this device? That is, do you call into an ISP and then get ur email, or does the cellphone company provide an ISP. Is it "always on?"
    I access my e-mail (both work and home) through POP-3 accounts using Sprint's ISP. I could have it "always on" and have my e-mail program check for messages on a regular basis. With Sprint you also have the choice of PCS Business Connection and GoodLink.

Originally posted by MichaelLAX
    Is there a stationary "hands-free" device available for her car, such as we have from Nokia, so that she can just pop the Treo into it and talk handsfree easily without the need to plug into a cigarette lighter. Also the Nokia device provides a handset, so that she can have privacy in the car when needed.
    Here is the OEM Treo Installation Car Kit, however, it only supports the GSM version. A version for the CDMA is supposed to come out this Spring if I am not mistaken. There are other options out there. But I'm don't think that they will work the way you describe.
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
    Originally posted by meyerweb
    If she wears her fingernails long, have her try typing on one, first. Personally, I can't imagine typing on it with long fingernails. In fact, since getting the Treo 600 I cut my nails a LOT more often than I used to. At least my thumbnails.
    I think it depends on your technique.

My gf has long fingernails and types ok.

If your nails curl downwards you might have a problem. If they are straightish or curl up you should have no problems.
    My nails are generally 1/4" long, and it was never an issue with my treo 180. Dunno about the 600, I only got a chance to use it once and though it was a short time it seemed fine. I'd go with Cyril's statement though... if your nails curl alot maybe that would be an issue.