Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I have i tunes on my mac and wanted to know how to add the songs my pocket tunes? Ive tried everything. I give up. help
    thanks to anyone who has insight.
    The only way that I know how to do it requires an SD card.

First, you mount your SD card using some sort of SD card reading device - I have a powerbook and I use one that resides in my PC card slot. Open the card, and drag the song directly from iTunes to the SD card - in the AUDIO folder if there is one there (or just create it). You should have no problem playing the files from pockettunes.

Please let me know if this was unclear or not specific enough and I will try to help further...
    doesn't itunes do aac files?

is so, pocket tunes doesn't do aac.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Originally posted by Felipe
    doesn't itunes do aac files?

is so, pocket tunes doesn't do aac.
    iTunes does mp3 (and wav and aac).

The iTunes music store sells songs in protected aac format, but (1) iTunes itself was playing mp3 long before there was an iTunes store, and (2) you can convert the protected aac files you buy from the iTunes store to mp3 (or wav) if you want.

Bill S
    Originally posted by tvBilly

(2) you can convert the protected aac files you buy from the iTunes store to mp3 (or wav) if you want.
    How?
    Burn them to a CD-R or CD-RW. Built right into iTunes. That unprotects them. I burn them to CD-R, as I want a physical copy of all the songs I buy, so if anything happens to my hard drive or backup, I still have a copy. If you don't want this, just use a CD-RW, which can be used for this purpose over and over again.

The CD you burn is a standard redbook CD (the songs are wav format). You can use iTunes (or many other programs) to turn them into mp3's if that's what you want, and put them on your T600.

Bill S
    Someone hwo can program should write an Applescript that automattically takes a folder of iTunes AAC files and turns them into mp3 files. So far the only way I have found is to burn to CD-RW, and then re-import them into iTunes, choosing mp3 as the import file choice in the preference pane first, and importing from the CD by clicking on the import button in the upper right of the iTunes window, or using the Advnaced pull-down menu choosing Convert Selection to MP3 if you just want to choose a few songs from a CD instead of the whole thing. Then drag them onto your SD card if you have a SD card reader( $15 and worth it because it loads 40-50 times faster than Hotsync, which will take 5 minutes per song!!), or if you have no card reader, just drag them onto Hotsync Manager, and choose to put them on the SD card instead of the internal Treo drive.
    iTunes has a menu choice to do an automatic conversion of AAC to MP3. Export them to your desktop. Then drag them to the SD card mounted to your desktop using a card reader.
    Originally posted by jposin
    iTunes has a menu choice to do an automatic conversion of AAC to MP3. Export them to your desktop. Then drag them to the SD card mounted to your desktop using a card reader.
    Tried it but I got a message that the AAC file is a protected file and cannot be converted. (Clicked on Advanced -"Convert Selection to MP3")

Also tried to drag the AAC file to desktop and dragged it to the SD card. The file got transferred but Pocket Tunes did not recognize it because it remained in AAC format even after I transferred it to the card.

Am I doing it differently? Pls. tell me I am wrong. It's a hassle trying to rip a CD just to convert AAC files to MP3s
    Ed
    Originally posted by edkalama

Tried it but I got a message that the AAC file is a protected file and cannot be converted. (Clicked on Advanced -"Convert Selection to MP3")

Also tried to drag the AAC file to desktop and dragged it to the SD card. The file got transferred but Pocket Tunes did not recognize it because it remained in AAC format even after I transferred it to the card.

Am I doing it differently? Pls. tell me I am wrong. It's a hassle trying to rip a CD just to convert AAC files to MP3s
    You're not wrong. The "problem" is not that the file is AAC, it's that the file is a protected AAC. iTunes is happy to convert standard AAC to and from MP3, it just the protected AAC files that require special handling.

Apple's deal with the music providers required some sort of protection from copying downloaded (purchased) music. Apple also wanted people to be able to access their music on other than an authorized computer or an iPod. This is the compromise they came up with. You need to shuffle the song(s) to a CDR or CDRW first, to unlock them. (You can also find a program for the PC, not Mac, that can rip the music without the protection, but I don't know what it is).

Bill S
    Hi...

I've tried everything in this thread, but nothing works for me. When I click on a purchased tune in iTunes, then on Advanced, I do not have a "Convert selection to MP3" option. I do have a "Convert selection to AAC" option. I've tried ripping a CD, then importing the tune back into iTunes, then copying it to my SD card. Pocket Tunes still doesn't recognize it.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Regards,
    Linda
    Try Lame Encoder (converts AAC to MP3):

http://www.blacktree.com/apps/iTunes-LAME/
    If it is a protected AAC file you need to burn it to an audio cd and then rip it to an mp3.
    Thanks drrjv... which of the two files should I download?

Treo Mike... I tried burning the files to CD then making MP3's from them, but it didn't work.

--Linda
    Are you using Windows? If so...do a google search for a program called CDEX. It will rip just about anything out there.
    Hi Treo-Mike...

I'm on a Mac.

--Linda
    I was so annoyed (more like really pissed off) when I found out that I could not in a straightforward way use my PAID FOR music on my Treo.

After much searching, I found out that it is possible to convert the protected files to unprotected here is the software: http://www.hymn-project.org/
    Global Posts
    112 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lindaracine
    Thanks drrjv... which of the two files should I download?

Treo Mike... I tried burning the files to CD then making MP3's from them, but it didn't work.

--Linda
    I'm not trying to belittle, but when you ripped the CD, did you have your iTune preferences set to import as AAC or MP3?

Because I have no problem putting protected AAC files purchased from the Apple iTunes store on my Treo.

Are you putting the MP3s into the right folder on your SD card?
    Theta...

Belittle me? Surely you jest! I'm a total novice, and don't know enough to even pretend that I might feel belittled. I'm grateful for any and all help I can get.

I checked iTunes Preferences and found that I had my Burn CD option set to burning audio CDs. I changed it to burning MP3's, but when I tried to burn the purchased tunes to CD, I got an error message stating that none of the items in the playlist could be burned to disc.

--Linda
    You want to burn an audio CD...the kind that will play in your stereo or car. THEN...take that audio CD and rip the songs off it as mp3s. Then you can use them in Pocket Tunes.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast