1.    #1  
    I was away from home for a few days and Murphy's law went to work. My new car charger from Ebay which has been working fine for a month decided to do a hard reset when I plugged it in (while phone screen was off but I guess that didn't help). I have a backup image on my sd card so I thought no big deal and proceeded to do a restore but my feeble mind at the time hit the backup instead of restore so it basically wiped out the image I wanted to restore and overwrote it with the default config of the Treo 600. I lost everything, no phone book, bookmarks, calendar etc. I do have an image on my laptop but sadly didn't have it with me.

Is there some kind of safe guard I can put in so this doesn't happen again? Any ideas welcome.
    I am not familiar with BackupBuddy VFS but maybe the same rules apply...

I use BackupMan myself and it allows me to specify how many back-up images to retain. Personally, I keep 6 images just in case. This would have saved you if you had this option available (& specified!).

Maybe next time...?
    -Brian-
    Global Posts
    499 Global Posts
    What about write protecting the SD card with the little switch?
    Originally posted by dbregman
    Excellent idea, but one of the nice features on the program is the ability to make automated backups, which would obvioulsy not be possible is the card was write protected.
    Originally posted by dbregman
    Excellent idea, but one of the nice features on the program is the ability to make automated backups, which would obvioulsy not be possible is the card was write protected.
    Originally posted by jimmyk001

BackupBuddy VFS free edition does not have an automated backup issue so for the original poster this might be a good suggestion.
    I've had this multiple times (using 3rd party usb charger) and it's such a pain. Never realized there was an easier way to restore from my SD card!

Going to have to look at both BackupBuddy and Backup Man -- any good threads to point me to that discuss the bennies of one over the other?
    I'm thinking about getting Backup Buddy on the SanDisk SD card. The price seems to be right--$22.78--from this online vendor:

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/produ...=33538&_LOC=US

Has anyone seen this item priced less?

Note: The current software for BackUp Buddy is version 2.1:
    http://www.bluenomad.com/bbvfs/prod_bbvfs_details.html

###
    Originally posted by KevMeister
    I'm thinking about getting Backup Buddy on the SanDisk SD card. The price seems to be right--$22.78--from this online vendor:
    Kev: Dont cheap out. Go for at least 256 in a memory card. You'll pay about 50 bucks, but it will be worth it for future purposes.
    People happy with BUMan? It seems to be a steal for just $10...frankly I only care about immediately being able to restore phone and contacts in case of hard reset...
    Originally posted by dslunceford
    People happy with BUMan? It seems to be a steal for just $10...frankly I only care about immediately being able to restore phone and contacts in case of hard reset...
    Dont you sync with your pc?
    Originally posted by jimmyk001

Dont you sync with your pc?
    Yeah, that's why I haven't ever bought a backup program. The need/issue is when I'm on a day trip and away from the PC and lose data (by car charger causing reset, etc.) and am not able to get back for a synch. That's when this will help -- those emergency situations where I'd otherwise be without a way to get to my contact lists/#'s or calendar.
    BackupMan works very well and is reliable. Also, if you do need support, they are very responsive. Best purchase that I've made!

When I tried it last (a couple months ago), Botzam Backup was problematic and could not be trusted to restore my Treo.
    backupman is an essential. I normally keep several staggered backups on an SD card. I do quite a bit of beta testing, so it is essential. It has restored my treo after numerous hard crashes and unrecoverable configurations...
    Take a look at Botzam Backup as well:

http://www.botzam.com/bzbackup_details.htm

After selecting restore, it asks you if you are sure first.

It also features compression to save space and encryption for security which can ask for a password before performing a restore or backup.

Botzam allows for multiple backups as well and only updates the files that have changes, allowing for quicker backups.

I have been testing the latest BETA version and it now features 5 Way Support, additional Sync options including backup after each Hot Sync as well.