Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I'm resurrecting this issue (the last thread about it got a little off-topic)...

Almost every day, when I go to turn on my Treo, I'll see a window titled "Service Connection Progress" and inside the window "Canceling..."

Well, the Treo never cancels. It stays locked on this screen. At that point, I need to press in the reset button on the back of the unit.

This happens about every other day, and is pretty annoying. I'm fairly certain it's related to my automatic check for e-mail.

Is anyone else having this problem, or better yet, aware of a solution?
    I have the same exact issue johnson....

Ever get any feedback or find a fix?

Just curious....
    "DOS addresses only 1 Megabyte of RAM because we cannot imagine any applications needing more." --Microsoft, 1980, on the development of DOS.

Short sited-ness is a funny thing....
    My problem has a couple of answers. First, I am a Treo Helper user and when I looked closer at what I had it set to do, it was doing what it was suppose to...

Next - my Treo 600 failed the diagnostics test today at the Sprint store. It had serial problems maintaining contact with the "nearest" tower. It'll be replaced next Saturday. Anyway, with that problem and Treo Helper wanting to connect to Sprint Vision, it would connect/disconnect and at times appear to be hung, when in actuality it was "timing out," a process that at times took between approximately 30 to 60 seconds.

There were times it interrupted apps, if I started making a phone call it would interrupt the call, et cetera.

Ben
    i've noticed that this ONLY happens when i've set snapper for auto message detect AND I power off the device while in blazer. If either condition is false - no lock up
    mine does the same thing, sorta...

ever since i updated to sprint 1.20 -- it takes like 2-3 min to drop a vision connection.

at first i thought it was locked up.
    RWerksman,

This is a deliberate change (I beleive). If an active program like Sprint Business Connection (or perhaps Treo Butler) has the TCP/IP stack open, it needs to wait until this program receives CPU time (a wakeup call) before it can cancel the network connection (which turning off the phone does).

I agree this is totally annoying, but I can see why they made this change.

Glenn

Quote Originally Posted by RWerksman

ever since i updated to sprint 1.20 -- it takes like 2-3 min to drop a vision connection.

at first i thought it was locked up.
    I'll add a "Me too" here. Mines done that FOREVER. I'd be very interested to know how to stop it.
    "me too" - tends to happen when i'm in low signal strength areas. i have snappermail doing hourly updates, and verichat tries to connect in the background as well. no funky apps like treohelper or butler or anything...
    Me too. But only after the Sprint update 1.2. Nice job, PalmOne.
    Mine happened before the 1.2 update, so don't blame that.
  11.    #11  
    My wife and I both STILL have this issue on both of our Treos. I am blaming Snapper at this point. Anyone find a resolution yet???
    I don't run Snapper, so you can't blame it. Unless its how Snapper uses the network lib, like my Chatter does.
  13.    #13  
    The only custom app my wife has installed is SnapperMail. Perhaps it is the network lib, but I have no idea what that means, or what to do. Anyone??
    I don't use Snapper but have had it installed for a while. I had this problem both before and after I removed it.
  15.    #15  
    I'm again having lock-ups on "Service Connection Progress. Canceling...", but now I suspect faulty application coding:

Since applying at least two updates to SnapperMail over the last year, my automatic e-mail updates by Snapper NEVER cause this problem any more. However, other internet-enabled applications do cause the problem: especially Blazer and 4Cast. For example, 4Cast checks yahoo for current weather conditions & local forecasts. I have it set to update/connect every hour-- and since setting this up, I get 1-2 "service connection progress" lock-ups every day. Interesting that this app causes the problem, but Snapper doesn't.

If Snapper can fix the problem, why can't other developers?
    Quote Originally Posted by navinrjohnson
    I'm again having lock-ups on "Service Connection Progress. Canceling...", but now I suspect faulty application coding:

Since applying at least two updates to SnapperMail over the last year, my automatic e-mail updates by Snapper NEVER cause this problem any more. However, other internet-enabled applications do cause the problem: especially Blazer and 4Cast. For example, 4Cast checks yahoo for current weather conditions & local forecasts. I have it set to update/connect every hour-- and since setting this up, I get 1-2 "service connection progress" lock-ups every day. Interesting that this app causes the problem, but Snapper doesn't.

If Snapper can fix the problem, why can't other developers?
    This Canceling problem has nothing specifically to do with Snapper. I don't have Snapper installed, and I have this problem.
    this is a known issue with the treo600...i finally couldn't take it anymore and took the phone into a sprint store...they knew about the problem and I am getting a replacement phone. The problem jas to do with the battery.

greg
  18.    #18  
    I'm not so sure this is related to the battery, as I NEVER have the issue when SnapperMail checks e-mail. If it was related to the battery, wouldn't the problem affect ALL apps? Further, my 600 is relatively new and not part of the 'bad ESN' range that had all the network search problems.
    I replaced my battery in February. The problem seemed to go away. But it came back again with a vengeance the last couple of days. So, I deleted Treohelper, Butler, and KeyCaps600. Voila! No more endless "service connection progress" loops. I'll try adding the programs back one at a time to pinpoint which one is the culprit.
    I personally think it is a server issue as I was recently traveling in the Santa Barbara, CA area and every time I checked my mail, I had the "Service connection...." crash. Driving to down Ventura I didn't have the problem nor when I was in L.A. but as soon as I was back in S.B. I crashed again.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast