1.    #1  
    I was finally able to speak with someone fluent in English and knowledgeable of CDMA.

Short story: No local service because the Treo (aka Sprint/Verizon, aka the U.S. of A.) uses old CDMA technology.

All of the CDMA phones in China use a R-UIM (SIM). She said the system is setup to only provide local service to phones with a R-UIM. I offered my IMSI, but she said that what is needed is the R-UIM number.

I then asked her why I could roam, and she said that their old system didn't use SIMs, and was converted to handle international roaming.

She said if the phone was able to accept a SIM, she could easily set me up with local service.

What's wrong with America? Not only does China have better CDMA service, but they also have the worlds first maglev train!
    I have the world in my Palm
    China was the first (and probaly still the only one) country to use sim cards in their CDMA phones and that was about a year and half to 2 years ago.
    Because of that people can chage phone freely and frequently and there are many choices of more advanced CDMA phones.
    http://pc-mobile.net
  3.    #3  
    South Korea and Japan also have CDMA.
    I wonder if they also use R-UIM.

December 03, 2002:
    Nokia and Gemplus demonstrate R-UIM for North American wireless

Maybe Gemplus won't let Qualcomm licence the technology?
    are you still on Sprints network, or did you change to UniCom? If you still on sprints, just dial the local 8 digit number, that is what I did. Regards, Matt Burkhard
  5.    #5  
    I should know better to google before I speak...

March 11, 2002
    QUALCOMM Announces Availability of the R-UIM/UTK Software for CDMA MSM Chipsets

The article states that Qualcomm provided China Unicom with R-UIM. Which begs the question even more, what's taking Sprint (and Verizon, I assume) so long?

I am more interested in SMS than voice. People here can read much better than speak or listen.
    Originally posted by thppfft
    I should know better to google before I speak...

March 11, 2002
    QUALCOMM Announces Availability of the R-UIM/UTK Software for CDMA MSM Chipsets

The article states that Qualcomm provided China Unicom with R-UIM. Which begs the question even more, what's taking Sprint (and Verizon, I assume) so long?

----- A short answer may be that the US market does not demand R-UIM.
    Originally posted by goodbyelah

----- A short answer may be that the US market does not demand R-UIM.
    It is a bit late but you should start demanding it now.
    It is better late than never.
    http://pc-mobile.net
    I don't know whether this helps you or not.

There are three CDMA carriers in South Korea. SKT, KTF(pcs), LGT(pcs). Actually there is no GSM carriers in Korea.
    Only SKT phones specially made by Samsung can be modified a little locally to accept CDMA SIM card. All the phones in Korea do not accept SIM card normally.

I know few friends who have converted Samsung phones imported from South Korea and are using local carrier UNICOM which uses CDMA technology.

So if you let local shop to modify the Treo CDMA to take the new SIM card, let us know. By the way, I brought Treo600(GSM) version to China and using it for last two months. No problem. Yes, there is a shortcoming. Not yet to be able to send SMS.