Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I've been taking some free time and digging through the Phone application with the hope of finding the code that allows the space key (and the backspace key, and the return key) to act when a call comes in, even if keyguard is on.

I found the code about an hour ago. I patched it. My phone no longer treats the three special keys as special, and doesn't do anything if you press them while the phone is ringing.

Oh, and the patches are free.

However, though the hard part is done (for me, anyway), I have some questions before I release the patches.

1) The Phone application code doesn't distinguish between when the keyguard is on or off. The patches will disable the 3 special keys even if you don't use keyguard. If I can figure out a way to get the Phone application to only ignore the special keys when keyguard is on, and continue to process them when keyguard is off, I will, but after looking at the relevant sections of code, I doubt it. There isn't enough free space for me to patch in all the code needed to check if keyguard is on or off. Note that the patch only effects the special keys when a call is coming in, not all the time the Phone application is running.

How big a deal is this to everyone?

2) I can selectively patch out any or all of the 3 special keys. At first I thought that just patching out the space key would be enough, but I'm not sure that's the right decision, and I would appreciate your thoughts on this. The three special keys are the space key, the backspace key, and the return (or enter) key. The space key and the return key answer the phone call, and the backspace key ignores the call. Since the "fix" is a patch to the code, there has to be a different patch for each variance. That's 7 patchers to cover all possible combinations (the 8th isn't needed as "all special keys enabled" is how the Phone application comes unpatched).

What do you think? My current thought is to patch out all 3 special keys.

3) This is the hard part. How to get the patches to the world. There are a bunch of gotchas here.

3a) First of all, there is more than one version of the Phone application. I have two different versions here, and there may be more. The code in question is minutely different in the two versions of the Phone application I have, and at different offsets in the files.

3b) The Phone application is in ROM and can't be modified (easily). This means a copy has to be put in RAM, and that copy has to be used. Many of you are already doing this, as that's the method currently being used to change the dialpad and favorites graphics. The same rules for installing a "graphics" patched version of the Phone application (will) apply to this patched version.

3c) If you add up all the possible combinations of the Phone Application with my patches and the graphics patches, it's pretty staggering. I don't see the answer as having 15 or 31 versions of the Phone application available for download.

3d) I can give out instructions on how to install and patch the Phone application, including what to do if you already have a graphics patched version installed, but if there are more than two versions of the Phone application, you're gonna have to send me the versions I don't have so I can update the instructions. This also means you really have to be whiz to be able to hand patch your own files, etc.

So I have no real answer yet to problem #3, and I really need some suggestions. I can certainly put the patch instructions in another message in this thread, but I really think it's gonna be pretty hard for most people to deal with this.

Thanks for your thoughts on this.

Bill S

ps This is gonna require a bit of testing, to make sure I didn't mess up something, as I only have about a half hours worth of testing done myself.
    Thanks for your hard work. I think you should bribe some of the case manufacturers out there with this before you go public with it - I bet some of them would pay you money for your efforts.

Also - I'd be glad to post the files at Treo600Essentials for you.
    Originally posted by tvBilly
    I've been taking some free time and digging through the Phone application with the hope of finding the code that allows the space key (and the backspace key, and the return key) to act when a call comes in, even if keyguard is on.

I found the code about an hour ago. I patched it. My phone no longer treats the three special keys as special, and doesn't do anything if you press them while the phone is ringing.

Oh, and the patches are free.

However, though the hard part is done (for me, anyway), I have some questions before I release the patches.

1) The Phone application code doesn't distinguish between when the keyguard is on or off. The patches will disable the 3 special keys even if you don't use keyguard. If I can figure out a way to get the Phone application to only ignore the special keys when keyguard is on, and continue to process them when keyguard is off, I will, but after looking at the relevant sections of code, I doubt it. There isn't enough free space for me to patch in all the code needed to check if keyguard is on or off. Note that the patch only effects the special keys when a call is coming in, not all the time the Phone application is running.

How big a deal is this to everyone?

2) I can selectively patch out any or all of the 3 special keys. At first I thought that just patching out the space key would be enough, but I'm not sure that's the right decision, and I would appreciate your thoughts on this. The three special keys are the space key, the backspace key, and the return (or enter) key. The space key and the return key answer the phone call, and the backspace key ignores the call. Since the "fix" is a patch to the code, there has to be a different patch for each variance. That's 7 patchers to cover all possible combinations (the 8th isn't needed as "all special keys enabled" is how the Phone application comes unpatched).

What do you think? My current thought is to patch out all 3 special keys.

3) This is the hard part. How to get the patches to the world. There are a bunch of gotchas here.

3a) First of all, there is more than one version of the Phone application. I have two different versions here, and there may be more. The code in question is minutely different in the two versions of the Phone application I have, and at different offsets in the files.

3b) The Phone application is in ROM and can't be modified (easily). This means a copy has to be put in RAM, and that copy has to be used. Many of you are already doing this, as that's the method currently being used to change the dialpad and favorites graphics. The same rules for installing a "graphics" patched version of the Phone application (will) apply to this patched version.

3c) If you add up all the possible combinations of the Phone Application with my patches and the graphics patches, it's pretty staggering. I don't see the answer as having 15 or 31 versions of the Phone application available for download.

3d) I can give out instructions on how to install and patch the Phone application, including what to do if you already have a graphics patched version installed, but if there are more than two versions of the Phone application, you're gonna have to send me the versions I don't have so I can update the instructions. This also means you really have to be whiz to be able to hand patch your own files, etc.

So I have no real answer yet to problem #3, and I really need some suggestions. I can certainly put the patch instructions in another message in this thread, but I really think it's gonna be pretty hard for most people to deal with this.

Thanks for your thoughts on this.

Bill S

ps This is gonna require a bit of testing, to make sure I didn't mess up something, as I only have about a half hours worth of testing done myself.
    Nicely done!

L
    Lee Ladisky
  4.    #4  
    derek985 -> Nah, no charge, for anyone. This should be free; Palm should have made the interface work this way in the first place. I hope they see the light and make it a preference. If it sells more cases, great; I don't need a piece of their action.

And I would be delighted for you to make it available on your site for those who want it. It works fine with your graphically enhanced Phone downloads, btw, I tested it with one

---

I just spent the last hour testing, and I think the patch is fine. The patch, btw, is one byte. Change a 7 to a 0.

It works 100% when the phone is ringing, but unanswered (ie the keys do NOT answer or ignore the call, the phone just keeps ringing).

Once you answer the phone, the special keys do what they're supposed to while you're in the call. (The special keys do special things while your call is in progress, like turning the speakerphone on and off, or hanging up the call, etc).

When you're using the Phone application and the phone isn't being used for a call, all the keys work as they should.

It also works fine with Treo Alert Manager, with your Phone application being "skinned" or not, and even if you're using "Skinner" to change your Phone's graphics. [edited: I have been having some soft reset problems with Skinner after I installed DAAK; be sure to read the documentation FAQ about this!]

I'll post the raw patch info tomorrow, if people really want it NOW, but I would prefer to figure out a way to distribute it other than forcing people to copy a file from ROM to RAM and edit it.

Bill S
    Last edited by tvBilly; 01/24/2004 at 02:13 PM.
    KEWL!!!
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Oh yeah! Great job, Bill~!! Looking forward to trying it out!

BTW, what are you going to name this useful utility? Any suggestions anyone?
    Originally posted by TR30
    BTW, what are you going to name this useful utility? Any suggestions anyone?
    I vote for DumbButtons 1.0!
    Originally posted by tvBilly

Have you verified that pressing any other key during an incoming call) has no effect? Seems I remember that hitting other keys will stop the ringing. If true, this is just about as bad as you may never know the call is coming in.
    Good Question....With your patch active, can you still tap the power button for a one time ring mute?
    Sounds nice, thaks for the hardwork, but I am sure your enjoyed it, right?

Regards, Matt Burkhard
    This is great and I really appreciate your efforts, tvBilly!

I recently wrote to Handspring about this. Here is what I sent them and their stupid response:

MY LETTER
    "I have found incoming calls are being missed whenever I carry the Treo in my Pocket, Purse or Case. The problem is due to pressure on the keyboard's spacebar. Since the pressure is already applied, (even though the keyboard
    is locked,) the Treo will automatically answer the incoming call. With even the slightest bit of backgound noise you can totally miss the ring tone because the pressure on the spacebar button stops the ringing. Is there a software fix for this problem? I need some program to disable the spacebar button when the key guard is activated. "
    Handspring's Response:
    "Thank you for contacting palmOne (formerly Handspring) Technical Support.

We are sorry for the inconvenience caused. We understand that the call is answered when you press the space bar key. We also understand that you want to know how to disable this option.

We are sorry but there is no option to disable this. While designing the Treo, our designers though it necessary for the user to be able to receive a phone call under a variety of circumstances. They decided to allow user to receive a call even with the key guard on by using the Space bar, Center button of the 5-way navigation and by the Enter key.

If you ever have any other questions or issues, please do not hesitate to email us again, quoting the case number 4249528 in the subject of this email. This will assist us in tracking your case history, and for further troubleshooting.

If you would like the latest updates and news concerning our products, please sign up for our free eNewsletter at www.handspring.com.

Additionally, you can also find troubleshooting articles, FAQ's and
    downloads at www.handspring.com/support.

Thank you,

Renjith Chacko
    PalmOne Technical Support
    Hard to believe they are so obtuse that they can't see this is a major problem with their design.

I can't wait to get you fix!
    myline = Treo650 w/SprintPCS
    TvBilly, Can you make it where just the space bar and enter are off and the center of the 5-way still works to answer a call? THanks
    Great work! I'm sure many treo owners with cases will be overjoyed!

As for question #2, my suggestion is also to go ahead and disable all 3 "special keys". #3 however is quite the quandary. Which versions do you have so far, so that others may send you ones you need?

Once again thanks for the effort tvbilly.
    Originally posted by derek985

I vote for DumbButtons 1.0!
    LOL! Good one there, Derek! How 'bout "ButtonKillah 1.0"?

I agree with Burkhardi, I think you should keep the 5-way center button to answer calls. I don't think any case presses against the center button as it is pretty much in there.

It would be nice to have the ability to assign which button(s) can answer calls and mute calls. But I think it may be too much work.

Keep us posted, tvBilly!
    Last edited by TR30; 01/20/2004 at 11:16 AM.
    why do people keep mentioning the 5-way center button? this program is meant to disable any (or all) of the "3 special keys" as they're being referred to. They are the spacebar, backspace, and return keys. never was it implied that the center button's functionality would be changed.

tvbilly's question was if we wanted all 3 keys disabled or not, which I agree is the way to go instead of only disabling spacebar. That in response to his question #2. Question #1 - the one about keyguard being a factor - has so far gone unanswered by anyone so I'm assuming this isn't an issue for anybody. I personally think it's not a big deal either.

I like the "buttonkillah 1.0" name more
    ButtonsOff or SpaceOff 1.0 will work for me!
    myline = Treo650 w/SprintPCS
    How about these:

forgotten_feature 1.0

i_thought_i_was_an_engineer 1.0

crap_we_forgot_that 1.0

or my favorite:

daa! 1.0
    Originally posted by chriskurn

daa! 1.0
    How about Doh !!
    Should the patch kill all three "special" keys, or just the space bar? Frankly, I'd do whatever is easiest. The real problem seems to be the space bar, but I never use the special keys at all.

How to distribute? First, I don't think you can take responsibility for matching your patch to every other modified version of the phone app. If other people have made other mods, and want to make yours, I think it's their responsibility to see how they match up. You could publish the block of relevent code to help them isolate where the change needs to be made, but I don't think your responsibility runs any farther than that.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Originally posted by norpah
    This is great and I really appreciate your efforts, tvBilly!

I recently wrote to Handspring about this.

Hard to believe they are so obtuse that they can't see this is a major problem with their design.

I can't wait to get you fix!
    What address did you write to at Handspring? Maybe we should start an email campaign to try to convince them that a lot of people are unhappy.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Originally posted by jennyfur
    why do people keep mentioning the 5-way center button? this program is meant to disable any (or all) of the "3 special keys" as they're being referred to. They are the spacebar, backspace, and return keys. never was it implied that the center button's functionality would be changed.

I read the word "enter" and for some reason my brain assumed it was the "center" button. LOL! My bad. Now I know why I don't usually post replies this early in the morning.

tvbilly's question was if we wanted all 3 keys disabled or not, which I agree is the way to go instead of only disabling spacebar. That in response to his question #2. Question #1 - the one about keyguard being a factor - has so far gone unanswered by anyone so I'm assuming this isn't an issue for anybody. I personally think it's not a big deal either.

Q#1 -- No biggie to me either.

I like the "buttonkillah 1.0" name more

Hehe, kinda shows how I felt about the auto-answer problem, eh?
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast