Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    I am slightly confused about what exactly needs to be installed.

Do I only need to install the Phone_SPR10.DAAK.prc file?

Or is there something additional that needs to be first installed to make this work? I see reference to AQUA_Phone and AQUA Graphics but I don't currently have either of these nor do I even know what they are.
    Many of us have adopted different keys in an aqua format. You can download these (and see screenshots) here. You can read -- more than you want to know -- here about how they figured it out, and how to install. It is easy -- just hotsync the phone_logo.prc and phone.prc, downloaded from treoessentials.

If you don't have the aqua keys, the only thing you need to hotsync is the relevant phone.prc file. I like the aqua keys -- they are three dimensional in appearance and give the phone a more high-tech look. You can readily delete them if you don't like them.
    Another thread just posted another fix called "Phoneguard"

http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...-t46924/s.html

It has 3 checks boxes for Space Key Answers Call, Return Key Answers Call, Backspace Key Ignores Call.

It works perfectly on my Sprint 600 and does not mute the ringer/vibrate at all.

It also has an option available to turn the screen off during a call after a choice of duration time.
    Tried it on my GSM treo 600 (unlocked version) but does not work. Perhaps a different version is needed?

Originally posted by SprintTreoUser
    Another thread just posted another fix called "Phoneguard"

http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...-t46924/s.html

It has 3 checks boxes for Space Key Answers Call, Return Key Answers Call, Backspace Key Ignores Call.

It works perfectly on my Sprint 600 and does not mute the ringer/vibrate at all.

It also has an option available to turn the screen off during a call after a choice of duration time.
    Probably. The author does mention that it has only been tested on the Sprint version.
    And here's another approach to the problem:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...-t46928/s.html

It locks ALL the keys, including the 4 hard buttons and the Center button. So you need to tap the on-screen answer button to take a call. It appears to work on the GSM version of the phones, too.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Originally posted by SprintTreoUser
    Probably. The author does mention that it has only been tested on the Sprint version.
    Users are reporting that PhoneGuard works on their GSM phones. However, on phones with carkit.prc, the screen won't turn off. I'm looking into this.

Please give the beta a try if you're interested. The funtionality to disable the keys is free and never expires.

Keep in mind that it is beta software, so install it at your own risk. I encourage anyone who tries it to backup their data before installing PhoneGuard.

Sincerely,
    Geoff Akens
    geoff@geakware.com
  8.    #88  
    Well I see that DAAK has some company; that didn't take long.

A couple of observations.

1) If someone actually gets an application to do the right thing, it's easier and safer to install than a patched version of your Phone.app (which is what DAAK is). Plus there doesn't have to be a different version for every carrier. Plus I don't have to keep making patches every time a carrier releases a new version. So I have my hopes up along with the rest of you. I won't mind retiring DAAK after it's no longer needed.

2) From what I've read on the forum so far, there's a ways to go before PhoneGuard is ready for prime time. The hard part will be to get PhoneGuard to be selective enough to do its thing only when it's supposed to. I have high hopes for PhoneGuard though. (Very nice name, btw, and also the perfect place to put the "turn the backlight off when I'm on a call" control, if you can make it get along with everything else that wants to control the backlight).

3) The keepoff utility that replaces the built in KeyGuard doesn't do what I want. I happen to like the way the built in KeyGuard works, I just don't like the way the built in phone application ignores it.

I only want two things. I want the three special keys to not be special, only while there is an unanswered incoming call!, after which they should go back to being special. DAAK already does this. And I don't want any of the keys to mute the ringer (again, while there is an unanswered incoming call). DAAK doesn't fix this (yet?). I don't want the "fix" to effect keypresses in any other application, and I don't want it to effect keypresses in Phone unless the phone is ringing.

4) I'm not giving up on DAAK, btw. I still need someone to send me the AT&T Wireless version of their Phone.prc to patch, as well as the Orange UK, Orange France, and T-Mobile (1.05 INT?) versions. Or any others I've missed. Please try to help out with this if you can, it will help others. Send me a private message here and I'll give you an email address where you can send them. You'll need an SD card to get your Phone.prc out of the ROM. I'll patch them and post them on my site along with the others. (And no, you don't need to send me your SD card, you just need it to extract the Phone.prc file before you ZIP or Stuff it and attach it to an email).

4) I have a few days off before I have to leave town again, and I hope to find another patch to take care of my second desire, removing the "any key mutes the ringer" problem.

Bill S

ps

Originally posted by Preston
    One thing I didn't understand from reading this terrific thread. I'm using a cingular phone, with the Aqua skin, and firmware 2.08. TVBilly's site says the aqua skin DAAK comes from Sprint 1.0. Is the only difference between the cingular version and the sprint version the graphics? That is, do I have the latest and greatest phone.prc when using DAAK_AQUA?
    No, you don't (unless you're using a Sprint Phone). AQUA was built with the Phone.prc file from the Palm developer's kit, which happens to be the complete Sprint 1.0 Phone.prc file. AQUA only changes the appropriate graphic resources. So everyone that is using the Phone_AQUA.prc version is running the Sprint 1.0 phone application.

It turns out this is unnecessary (at least for me), and if I put all the necessary graphics in an appropriately constructed Phone_LOGO.prc file, everything works fine, and I'm using the 1.09-INT version of the phone application. I have no desire to run the much older 1.0-SPR application. This (in itself) has nothing to do with DAAK being installed or not. With DAAK removed, and the only phone application the one that exits in ROM, my Phone_LOGO.prc gives the nice AQUA buttons (and the T-Mobile connecting and disconnecting screen I use). I need to talk to Derek when I get a moment, as I don't think there's any need any more for the two file version of AQUA; I think it should work with a single LOGO file with no Phone.prc replacement necessary. More on this later, probably in another thread.
    I'm very much looking forward to the next installment.
    I want the three special keys to not be special, only while there is an unanswered incoming call!, after which they should go back to being special. DAAK already does this..
    PhoneGuard currently functions this way also.

And I don't want any of the keys to mute the ringer (again, while there is an unanswered incoming call). DAAK doesn't fix this (yet?). I don't want the "fix" to effect keypresses in any other application, and I don't want it to effect keypresses in Phone unless the phone is ringing.
    I have this feature mostly implemented now. I expect to release a new beta soon.

Thanks for giving your feedback. I appreciate it.

One other thing to clarify. PhoneGuard doesn't affect the keyboard backlight at all, it turns off the screen after a call is answered\placed.

Geoff
  11.    #91  
    Originally posted by geakware

One other thing to clarify. PhoneGuard doesn't affect the keyboard backlight at all, it turns off the screen after a call is answered\placed.

Geoff
    Never thought it did. I said backlight, and meant the screen backlight rather than the keyboard backlight, but I can see where just calling it the backlight could be confusing.

Keep up the good work.

Bill S
    I was about to "glue" a piece of black plastic below the spacebar to help keep it from being pressed while in the case. Hate to deface the thing though...

I vote for just disabling the space bar. That is the only one that gets pressed uninvitingly for me. I didn't know about the other buttons' functions. I'd like to try using those and keep them alive as they sound useful and I doubt they're getting pressed in my case.

Thanks for your contribution!!
    I installed the DAAK fix (thanks) and it seems to work but I have had two soft resets today when I've gotten a series of quick IMs from folks (verichat) I get a soft reset... anyone else seen the same...
    I installed the DAAK fix (thanks) and it seems to work but I have had two soft resets today when I've gotten a series of quick IMs from folks (verichat) I get a soft reset... anyone else seen the same...
    DAAK has nothing to do with the sms/verichat resets.

see this thread:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...46583/s/h.html
    actually i meant this thread...sorry

http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...46755/s/h.html
    hmm, never had the problem before today... I'll keep an eye on it...
  17.    #97  
    Originally posted by stecz
    You don't mention if you're on Sprint or not, as Sprint users here have been reporting frequent resets the past week due to changes in the way Sprint is doing SMS (or something like that).

I can't think of any reason that you should be getting soft resets due to DAAK, but if they continue (or you can cause them to happen if someone sends you an IM from verichat), try removing the (DAAK) Phone.prc file you installed, and see if the problem goes away.

Make sure you turn OFF the Wireless Mode of your phone before you delete the Phone.prc file, and then make sure YOU soft reset your T600 right after you delete the (DAAK) Phone.prc file.

If it turns out the problem is NOT the (DAAK) Phone.prc file, you can always install it again.

Bill S

(keep us all posted)
    Originally posted by tvBilly

It turns out this is unnecessary (at least for me), and if I put all the necessary graphics in an appropriately constructed Phone_LOGO.prc file, everything works fine, and I'm using the 1.09-INT version of the phone application. I have no desire to run the much older 1.0-SPR application. This (in itself) has nothing to do with DAAK being installed or not. With DAAK removed, and the only phone application the one that exits in ROM, my Phone_LOGO.prc gives the nice AQUA buttons (and the T-Mobile connecting and disconnecting screen I use). I need to talk to Derek when I get a moment, as I don't think there's any need any more for the two file version of AQUA; I think it should work with a single LOGO file with no Phone.prc replacement necessary. More on this later, probably in another thread. [/B]
    I haven't seen the 'one file aquaskin' appear in another thread - did I miss it? Ever since reading this, I've removed aquaskin because I don't know if the 2.08 FW update has a better phone.prc than the original sprint version.
  19.    #99  
    Originally posted by Preston

I haven't seen the 'one file aquaskin' appear in another thread - did I miss it? Ever since reading this, I've removed aquaskin because I don't know if the 2.08 FW update has a better phone.prc than the original sprint version.
    I've been busy on the road with work, and haven't had time to create an instruction sheet with the info on how to AQUA your phone without having to replace the whole Phone.prc app. So no, you haven't missed anything yet.

I'll try to allocate some time this week to do it.

Bill S

ps the 2.08 and 2.09 updated DO have a newer version of the Phone.prc app than the Sprint 1.0 release, but I don't recall anyone mentioning that they were having problems with the old version. You can probably continue to use it until I get around to writing up some instructions.
    I'll look forward to the instructions or file.

I hate it when my phone crashes when I'm on or answering a call, which it does rarely. This is enough of an unknown risk that I'd prefer to use the newer phone.prc. I guess I'm a "form follows function" person. Aquaskin looks better, but doesn't work better, and might even work worse...
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast