Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Definitely "Doh 1.0". Heck, the default beep almost sounds like that anyway

Also... I'd disable all three buttons in the initial version at least.
  2.    #22  
    Thanks for all the kind words. To answer a couple of questions:

1) The patch only disables the special effects of the 3 special keys. The center button still works to answer the call.

2) Hmm, I didn't know that the power button mutes the ringer. It doesn't on my patched version. It just stops the ring for a moment (ie each ring is very short), but the next ring sounds (see #3 below). It's not convenient for me to remove the patched version and test this on the stock (in ROM) version right now, but I'll test it in a few hours when I have the time. The side volume buttons do the same thing (shorten each ring, but don't cause it to mute). I don't have my 4th button mapped to power anymore, so I just tested this with the top power button. If any of you would like to chime in with whether this works to mute the ring on your unpatched version, it would save me time later. (ie if your unpatched version doesn't completely mute the ringing when you press the power button, I don't have to uninstall the patched version on my phone to see how it works).

3) When you press any key (not just the special keys), the ring is shortened. Each ring is about a half second, and then it stops for a half second and rings (for a half second) again. This behaviour is unchanged from the unpatched version. If your case were continuously pressing against some keys when the phone rang, you would still hear the ringing, but each ring would only be the first half second of the midi ring. So if your ring was "dum-dee-dum-dee" and normally lasted 5 seconds before repeating, you would hear "dum-dum-dum-dum" with a half second pause between each "dum". I looked at this already, and it does not look like it's changable with a patch.

4) I can easily change which buttons do the special things (like the "A" key would answer the phone, the "I" key would ignore the call, etc, but I really don't see the purpose. I could also leave the backspace and enter keys active, and just disable the space key. But so far, the way I'm thinking, disabling them all is the right answer, and that's the way mine is right now. I don't plan on keeping the info secret anyway, so people could probably do whatever they wanted, if they're able to hand patch their code.

and yes Matt, I did enjoy it. I'm still enjoying it. The personal satisfaction is all the pay I need.

Bill S

ps So far, I like DAA the best, or maybe DAAK.

ps I was looking through the code for the latest version of the Phone application (which was installed with the 921 updater) versus the code for an earlier version of the Phone application (which comes with the graphic enhanced download from treo600essentials), and there are a significant number of improvements in the code in the newer version. Extra timing loops that wait for multiple events that can come in almost simultaneously and will be missed in the older code. Handspring didn't change the version number of the Phone application though; I wonder why.

pps I don't know if the Phone application that comes with Sprint (CDMA) phones is different. The code in the GSM Phone applications I've been looking through appears to support CDMA as well as GSM. Have any of you with Sprint CDMA phones used the graphic enhanced version of the Phone application? If so, and it works, then there should be no problem with using this patched version as well.
    What would be really slick is a simple utility app with a gui that patches phone.prc on the fly with options. This way, there's no need to distribute multiple phone.prc versions etc.

Billy, I don't know if it's within your capabilities or desire to do this but it would make a nice app. If you're not interested I may be able to put you in touch with developers that might be interested in taking what you've learned and creating a product from it.

Just something to consider.
    Originally posted by tvBilly
    Have any of you with Sprint CDMA phones used the graphic enhanced version of the Phone application? If so, and it works, then there should be no problem with using this patched version as well.
    I've been using Derek's phone skin on my Sprint T600 and it works fine for me.
  5.    #25  
    Originally posted by TR30

I've been using Derek's phone skin on my Sprint T600 and it works fine for me.
    Did you patch in the phone skin or did you just download two prc files from treo600essentials and install them? (I use "Dekek's" skin too).

If you just downloaded two prc files from a site, then it's good news, because it means that the patch should work fine with ALL T600s, including the CDMA version.

Bill S

ps derek985 -> A patcher application would be the best solution, but it would delay the release of this by weeks, and require lots of testing on my part, since it's been many years since I built an application for the Palm platform. I could probably also use one of the pirate serial number patcher programs to make the patch, but I would rather not have the association. I think I am just going to post instructions, and also make a couple of different versions "pre-patched" and let you host them. To that end, I wanted to ask you how many graphic versions are popular, and what your feedback has been from people downloading and installing a new Phone application (which is what they do when they get one from your site, and is exactly the same as what they would do with this version. The only difference is the graphic versions have pictures "patched" and my version has code patched). Also, the graphic version on your site has an older version of the Phone application, and if we make a combo graphic and keypatched version, I would think it should have the latest version of the Phone application, not an older one.
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by tvBilly

Did you patch in the phone skin or did you just download two prc files from treo600essentials and install them? (I use "Dekek's" skin too).

If you just downloaded two prc files from a site, then it's good news, because it means that the patch should work fine with ALL T600s, including the CDMA version.

That's good tah hear, cuz I did download the two .prc files to install them.
    I'm kind of new to the palm world, so... If I put this patch on my phone, can I back it out?

I think this is great... I constantly answer my phone taking it out of the case....
    you must let us at least make donations. Please let me know your Paypal account so we can donate!

Thanks,

GM
  9.    #29  
    Originally posted by stecz
    I'm kind of new to the palm world, so... If I put this patch on my phone, can I back it out?

I think this is great... I constantly answer my phone taking it out of the case....
    Yes, you can back out at any time. (It's not like a firmware/ROM update).

Originally posted by gerryoil
    you must let us at least make donations. Please let me know your Paypal account so we can donate!
    Nope, but thanks.

Bill S

ps Just got home, I've been writing up an instruction sheet on how to do this. It's gonna require some work. The patch is so easy, but I'm paranoid about forgetting to mention something, and in forgetting, causing someone trouble rather than a big smile.
    I have no real answer yet to problem #3, and I really need some suggestions.
    My suggestion is as follows:

Have people submit to you their phone application and review them to find the offset your patch is applied to in each one. This will give you a list of offsets and, more importantly, the context around the offsets, which you'll check for matches.

Next, using the context around the offset of all the KNOWN versions of phone you've looked at, code up a small windows/linux/mac app to open up a phone.prc, check for the context around each of the known offsets you discovered above, and determine from that exactly which offsets you need to patch.

From there it's trivial to rewrite the .prc with the patched offsets, leaving the user with an original .prc file and a patched .prc file. Furthermore, it's trivial to add command line options to the program to patch (or not) each of the keys.

I'd be glad to help code the linux version. I don't have a convenient windows coding environment setup.

Jeff
    Personally, I would prefer to not disable the backspace button. There are many instances where I prefer to send the call to voicemail.

However, I can simply use the 5-way to select the IGNORE button, so if this will save work for you, then simply disabling the three buttons would be excellent.

Funny, but I never knew I had a problem with answering the phone with the space bar until you guys mentioned it! I keep my phone (antenna down) in my pants pocket. Now it seems that just about every time the phone rings and I grab the phone to take it out of my pocket to see who is calling, I inadvertantly answer the calls I did not want to answer.

Doh!!
  12.    #32  
    Originally posted by pelican
    Personally, I would prefer to not disable the backspace button.

However, I can simply use the 5-way to select the IGNORE button, so if this will save work for you, then simply disabling the three buttons would be excellent.
    Doh!!
    The actual patches themselves are trivial. It's no harder for me to patch out one or two of the special keys than to patch them all out. It's the making of multiple versions for everyone that becomes problematic. Since the 5-way enables us to ignore the call, I think I have made the decision to only release one version, which disables all the keys. If someone really wants a different version, I can hand code it for them (or tell them how to do it themselves, if they're up to it).

sysvr4 -> While writing up a comprehensive patching instructions document, I've been coming to the conclusion that it's too difficult for most people to safely do. You have to have an SD card, as you can't copy an application from the ROM to RAM with anything I know of, and you can't get the Phone application to your computer via a hotsync because it's not (got the right bit) set for backup. So the only way to even get your Phone application out of ROM is to have an SD card. Once you get the file to the SD card (FileZ will do it, and it's free), then you have to patch it. You can do this on the SD card, but the only program I know that can edit files on the SD card is Palm Insider (a great program, btw, but not free). FileZ won't do it, and I haven't found anything else that will. Patching it on your computer should be easy (it is on my Mac). The search strings (of hex) are unique in the whole file, not just in the code resource they reside. But teaching people to hex edit files on their computer is not something I want to undertake . And I'm too busy to start coding patcher applications. It's not the logic to find the code to patch, it's the trouble of making the patcher program. And since I code on the Mac (and the Palm), and you code on Linux, that would leave out all the Windows users, who (sadly) greatly outnumber us.

I think the best thing to do is for me to make a version that uses the latest (from the SIAM 1.09 updater) version Phone application, and for me to make another version that patches the AQUA graphics version from Derek's file on treo600essentials. In fact, I've already done this. The problem with the AQUA graphics version is that the Phone application it's based on is an older version, so I may make up a composite version that uses the latest Phone application and Derek's graphics, but I haven't done this one yet.

I'm gonna send derek985 a message here when I get through reading, asking him if I can send him the two versions I have done, so everyone can start using them.

Bill S

ps to whoever asked if the power button still mutes the ringer (sorry, I can't find your name in part of the thread I can see while composing this). It doesn't on my un-patched version either. Are you sure you can mute the ringer on your T600 by pressing the Power button (on the top of the phone)? Can anyone else?
    Really looking forward to this Bill. You sure you wont let us make a donation for your efforts?

As far as the mute thing goes....

I have the prc AQUA patch from treoessentials in place and my power button on the top of the phone mutes the ringer just fine. Same as it did right out of the box. Sprint CDMA version.

Woof
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
  14.    #34  
    Originally posted by Woof
    Really looking forward to this Bill. You sure you wont let us make a donation for your efforts?

As far as the mute thing goes....

I have the prc AQUA patch from treoessentials in place and my power button on the top of the phone mutes the ringer just fine. Same as it did right out of the box. Sprint CDMA version.
    Yes, I'm sure re: the donation, but thanks for offering.

How strange about the top button muting the ringer. It doesn't on my GSM phone, even with the stock unpatched (in ROM) Phone app running.

Just to make sure we're talking about the same thing, I'm talking about the momentary button on the top left, next to the antenna, that you normally use to power the T600 up and down with; the same button you use with a long press (ie you hold it down), to turn the wireless part on and off. I am not talking about the slide switch on the top right that silences the whole T600.

When I push the top left button while the phone is ringing, it momentarily stops the ring, but after a half second or so, the ring continues. This is the normal behavior of my phone when ANY button is pressed while the phone is ringing. (Except the special keys and the 5-way pad, but including the 4 application buttons). If I hold the top left power button down while the phone is ringing, rather than just pushing it once, it powers down the phone.

Anyone else want to check this out for us? It may be that the older versions of the Phone application work that way, and the newer versions (which I'm running) don't. Or it may be that the CDMA version works a little differently. Or it may be something else entirely.

Bill S

ps I have packaged up two versions of the DAAK patched Phone application, one the latest version from Palm with no graphics modifications, and the other a DAAK patched version of the graphically enhanced AQUA_Phone application found on treo600essentials. As soon as I hear from derek, they should be available for download from his site.
    Originally posted by tvBilly

When I push the top left button while the phone is ringing, it momentarily stops the ring, but after a half second or so, the ring continues. This is the normal behavior of my phone when ANY button is pressed while the phone is ringing. (Except the special keys and the 5-way pad, but including the 4 application buttons). If I hold the top left power button down while the phone is ringing, rather than just pushing it once, it powers down the phone.
    My Sprint CDMA T600 totally mutes the ringer whenever I press any of the keys (except the special keys), including the Power button on the top left next to the antenna. Ringer doesn't come back at all throughout the duration of an incoming call.
    My CDMA (Sprint) T600 also completely mutes the ring when I press any key, including power button (next to antenna), volume buttons, or the keyboard. (Have not tried the hard buttons yet.)

Curious to see if it still works that way after your patch.

Also, I'm a bit leary of installing the GSM version of the phone app. Can you also publish instructions on how to identify and modify the code, so I can check out the CDMA version myself.

Or, if you'd like, I can email you a copy of the phone.prc app from my Sprint version.

Thanks,
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    Looking forward to trying this patch!

Fittske
    "When Palm announced today that its new smartphone would run an operating system from Microsoft, it was the equivalent of Coca-Cola agreeing to fill its bottles with Pepsi." ~David M. Ewalt, Forbes Magazine
    ----------------------------------------------------
    My Phone history.....
    Originally posted by meyerweb
    My CDMA (Sprint) T600 also completely mutes the ring when I press any key, including power button (next to antenna), volume buttons, or the keyboard. (Have not tried the hard buttons yet.)
    ditto for my Sprint Treo as well.
    yep.
    Bill

It's the one next to the antenna, just like all the other say. Maybe your phone is messed up.

Woof
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
    anybody with a GSM version have the same behavior? seems that everyone who answered has the sprint version...
    (though I don't believe Woof mentioned which his was, if it is in fact GSM then sorry)
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast