Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    Now, you are supposed to reply with a long, spirited diatribe about how you are only trying to help (code for "you aren't even smart enough to wipe your own bum") us, then let it devolve into another tyranical rant from on high...

Come on, don't let us down!

And for Pete's sake, pick something scarier than a humanoid goat killer that scares the indians in South America to intimidate us quivering masses of ignorant blobbies waiting to be led....
    Originally posted by Lighting1
    Derek - I'm with you. I swear, someone told Chupacabra how to get under my skin. Happens almost every time he wastes valuable space with his posts. He seems to switch from moral barometer to corporate kiss-a**.

No joke, a complete nitwit.

If PalmOne is monitoring the forums hopefully they're see the major complaints people are posting and do something about it rather than fight with the damn people who own their products.
    Last edited by gyrfalcon; 01/23/2004 at 12:56 PM.
    I have been a very happy AT&T Wireless customer for a long time and have 3 lines with them. In the one year I was with Cingular, they never got my bill correct.

That said, I travel extensively and in Asia it is common for people to have mobiles or landlines that cannot dial IDD (international) calls. Therefore I need to pop a local SIM into my phone so that my friends and customers can contact me when I am there. When I am back in the USA I only use my ATTWS SIM.

I am NOT trying to defraud ATTWS, I DON'T want to change carriers, but I DO have a very real need to put a local SIM into my phone when I travel and ATTWS prevents this without disclosing this fact anywhere. For these reasons, I believe that I have every right to unlock MY phone.

As others have said, there are penalties involved with cancelling early and this is supposed to compensate the carrier for the lost business. Years ago when each carrier used incompatible equipment locking a phone didn't matter since it wouldn't work with another carrier anyway.

Just as number portability was mandated, it seems like the government needs to mandate phone portability as well.
    Hello.
    Can someone please email me detailed instructions on how to "free" my phone? I am new to this, so I'll need all the files and step-by-step instructions. My email address is [Don't post email addresses on the boards -miradu] I don't really want to unlock my phone, just play around with it's capabilities .

Thanks for your help.
    I'm going to close this thread because i think the discussion after page 4 took a turn for the worse...

I agree that the legality of this unlock is in question, and hence we will not host the file ourselves. However, whether we are allowed to post links to it is an open question.

We have a more than 4 year relationship with Handspring. This has carried over to PalmOne. I am told that most employees spend some time each days on the boards. We generally communicate very well, and they have never feared to immediately contact us if they don't like what we are doing. When the whole italian firmware thing came about we were called shortly after the news broke, asking us to ensure that users know that doing this voids their warrenty. It is to my knowledge that this is what their feelings on unlocked phones are; you are voiding your firmware, and palmone has 0 responsibility to help you ever again. If they asked us to take down links, we would try our best to do so asap.

I also want to remind people what they agreed to when registering to this site:

Although the administrators and moderators of TreoCentral.com will attempt to keep all objectionable messages off this forum, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the author, and neither the owners of TreoCentral.com or Jelsoft Enterprises Limited (developers of vBulletin) will be held responsible for the content of any message.

By clicking the Agree button, you warrant that you will not post any messages that are obscene, vulgar, sexually-orientated, hateful, threatening, or otherwise violative of any laws.

The owners of TreoCentral.com have the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason.

As for site readership, 476 is a bit small It is my belief that about 7% of all treo owners read this site. We have almost 10,000 (9500?) or so active REGISTERED users (people who have posted, or registered with us over the last year). Site readership is even more than that; only a fraction of those that read this site have registered.
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456