Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101116 ... LastLast
    Originally posted by euroclie

The funny thing is that if you try to save the trace on the SD and you're missing the appropriate directory, the command fails with an error message, whereas if you try to save the simlock status, the command reports success but nothing seems written!

Does anyone know if there's some SD cards with a builtin LED like some Lexar MemoryStick? That would let us know if an application is accessing the SD card... My Sony units had such a builtin LED to signal card access, but not the Treo 600...
    I used several disk edition techniques to check change on the SD. Change happens at the SimLockDB file descriptor level (two bytes are modified). A simple test is to create the
    DeviceCustomizer directory, create a fake SimLock.pdb file and ... surprise the file is deleted after issuing the savesimlock command ...
    However, I doubt we could find something usefull in those two bytes ...
    It's certainly the result of the file being deleted ... (not a FAT expert ...).

On another topic. The SIMLock status is I think part of both the compressed ROM and expanded ROM in RAM. The Handspring customer support procedure to solve erroneous network locking issues on the Treo phone is to perform a hard reset (K+<-+reset) without connecting the Treo to a power plug. I think this procedure completely wipes out the RAM ... and of course keeps your Treo locked if it was before ...

FrenchFries
    Originally posted by frenchfries

I used several disk edition techniques to check change on the SD. Change happens at the SimLockDB file descriptor level (two bytes are modified). A simple test is to create the
    DeviceCustomizer directory, create a fake SimLock.pdb file and ... surprise the file is deleted after issuing the savesimlock command ...

FrenchFries
    I can't test it but I think the SimLock.pdb is to store the PIN that the user can set to lock the SIM card. I can't find the letter that came with my SIM card so I can't enable the PIN, but I'm pretty sure the savesimlock is saving the PIN so that it can be restored after the flash.

If you go into the Phone Lock of the Option of the phone app you will see that this feature is called Lock SIM.

One path less to explore.
    >>I can't test it but I think the SimLock.pdb is to store the PIN
    >>that the user can set to lock the SIM card. I can't find the letter
    >>that came with my SIM card so

Pin1,pin2,puk1,puk2 are stored in sim card..no need to be stored in phone.
    Originally posted by atari
    >>I can't test it but I think the SimLock.pdb is to store the PIN
    >>that the user can set to lock the SIM card. I can't find the letter
    >>that came with my SIM card so

Pin1,pin2,puk1,puk2 are stored in sim card..no need to be stored in phone.
    Good point. I don't know what I was thinking when I wrote the post above.
    Originally posted by frenchfries

On another topic. The SIMLock status is I think part of both the compressed ROM and expanded ROM in RAM. The Handspring customer support procedure to solve erroneous network locking issues on the Treo phone is to perform a hard reset (K+<-+reset) without connecting the Treo to a power plug. I think this procedure completely wipes out the RAM ... and of course keeps your Treo locked if it was before ...

FrenchFries
    Odd. Others have posted that their "unlocked" status survived a hard reset. Which would make sense if it's backed up to ROM (or if protected RAM somehow survives a hard reset).

But if hard reset really results in loss of unlocked status, the unlock flag must not be backed up to ROM.

What exactly do you call the PhoneOS? As far as I could tell, there's just the usual PalmOS with some additional or revamped applications (phone, various GSM/GPRS related libraries, etc...), and also a firmware for the radio part. Is it the firmware you call the PhoneOS?
    When I say "PhoneOS", I'm referring to the entire software package normally present on the phones, including phone libraries, core apps, etc.

I would be extremely surprised is this is the case (i.e. if the RAM version of the ROM is backed up to the (Flash)ROM. It is not supposed to be modified normally, so implementing compression functions would probably be useless. I've only seen decompression stuff in the updater ROM image (at least in its uncompressed part).

The type of chip used to hold the compressed files should provide a clue. Is it rewriteable like FlashRAM, or non-rewriteable like Mask ROM?. Also, if Handspring had planned for the Treo 600 to be upgradeable and for the upgrade to survive a hard reset, RAM backup to ROM would be necessary.

I guess you're getting closer to the trhuth... <knock, knock> Do I hear the men in black knocking at your door?
    No. That was just the pizza I'd ordered.

I doubt that Handspring would ever waste money trying to go after me:

John Smith
    12 Main Street
    New York, New York
    U.S.A.
    I started playing with the TokenWriter.prc today.

The list command will show you 8 tokens:

hser (sorry, I'm keeping it for myself)
    gmfl GM
    hwvr A
    prnm Treo 600
    crnm INT
    revn 1.09
    GoUc CD>F=>@> and then a little square
    GpUc <undefined>

I was courageous enough to do a

write crnm MOL

and indeed when I go into Phone Info it does show up as a MOL version instead of INT.

I'm wondering whether I could change the hser (i.e. the serial number) with this, but I'm not sure of the consequences.

Also, I'll be very interested to hear what other Treos display for GoUc and GpUc, in particular the unlocked versions of course.
    BTW, is there an easy way to check if a phone is unlocked, apart from the obvious check with a SIM card from another operator?
    Hi Mol,

I've noticed that i am not as technical into this stuff as the average guy here, but if you tell me wehere to get that prc, i will do my best for you to find iut the values. Btw: i have 2 orange UK trteo 600's at the moment here, and i am willing to experiment more if you can tell me what to do.

I have contacted Handspring UK and Orange UK both. Orange UK can unlock the phone for me for GBP 300 (whahahahahahaha I said). Handspring UK didn't answer at all. After that I contacted Orange UK again by mail, asking them what they would ask if I would buy at least 10 UNLOCKED black orange treo 600's. Then I got an Email from Handspring UK (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! not Orange, but Handspring!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!):

==========================================
    Because of a business agreement we cannot help you
    out with this issue. The graphite Treo 600 is with simlock
    and we can not unlock it . Simply, because we do not have the code.

The only legal exception I have found :

http://www.phatphones.com/unlocking%...phatphones.htm

Should you have further questions do not hesitate to contact us.
    ==========================================

So, if anybody has further questions........... ....... for example about the cooperation between handspringUK/OrangeUK......

It seems that you have gold in your hands with a black/graphite treo 600 as Orange is the only one who may sell it and only in 3 european copuntries....that is what i thoght until I visited the turkish handpring site: http://www.handspringturk.com
    Did somebody use photoshop on an orange phone?

Peter
    Originally posted by Mol
    Also, I'll be very interested to hear what other Treos display for GoUc and GpUc, in particular the unlocked versions of course.
    Here's what I get on my device:

hser (my hardware serial #)
    gmfl GM
    hwvr A
    prnm Treo 600
    crnm INT
    revn 1.09
    GoUc EEFE@CBF
    GpUc <undefined>

(the is actually the square character mentionned by Mol)
    Here's the TokenWriter.prc

I don't think you need any of the other firmware files to run it but let me know if it's complaining about a missing file.
    Thanks Mol,

After starting up my first Treo 600 displays:

Welcome to Tokenwriter...
    Built: Sep 19 2003 12:27:06
    Build_4
    Please make sure your device is
    plugged into the charger!

i did.......what to do next?

Regards,

Peter
    just enter "list" without the quote and hit return.
    without the quotes, I meant.

the mobile site is lacking an Edit function ;-)
    device 1/device2:
    hser - yes....only the two last digits differ
    gmfl - GM
    hwvr - A
    prnm - Treo 600
    crnm - OUK
    revn - 1.0
    GoUc - <undefined>
    GpUc - <undefined>
    Number of Tokens: 8
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Originally posted by Mol
    Not an easy find, but the 1.9.9.0 version can be obtained from this German site:
    SyncWizard 1.9.9.0
    You can also get it here --> http://www.palmgear.com/index.cfm?fu...e&prodid=30737
  17.    #117  
    Mines a locked AT&T flashed with the SIAM upgrade:

hser - serial number appears right
    gmfl - GM
    hwvr - B
    prnm - Treo 600
    crnm - INT
    revn - 1.09
    GoUc - >>>>>>>>(then a square box)
    GpUc - <undefined>
    Number of Tokens - 8
    Originally posted by vulcan
    Mines a locked AT&T flashed with the SIAM upgrade:

hser - serial number appears right
    gmfl - GM
    hwvr - B
    prnm - Treo 600
    crnm - INT
    revn - 1.09
    GoUc - >>>>>>>>(then a square box)
    GpUc - <undefined>
    Number of Tokens - 8
    Did you try an unlock code after applying the upgrade? If so, does it happen to be 11111111?
    Could one of the Cingular unlocked Treo users try to run this program?
    Let's hope there is a Cingular unlocked on this forum, MOL. In the meantime.....I assume you have upgraded something (1.09) in the treo 600? What exeactly and did you do it? Can i try to do it as well on one of my treo 600's to help you with more information?

Regards and thanks for all your efforts,

Peter