Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast
    Patrick will you just stop posting until you've finished comparing the ROMs? ;-)
    btw you could also check the Created and Modified dates of all files in ROM using Filez. The one(s) that got updated by the unlock should have a recent date & time...
    Originally posted by Mol
    Patrick will you just stop posting until you've finished comparing the ROMs? ;-)
    Yeah! At last someone notices my attempts for the "most verbose message of the year" contest!

OK, I shut up!
    Originally posted by Mol
    btw you could also check the Created and Modified dates of all files in ROM using Filez. The one(s) that got updated by the unlock should have a recent date & time...
    I don't think it's that easy... IMHO it's not a PalmOS database that gets modified, but an area of the ROM inside or near the firware part.

I'll let you know as soon as I have found something interesting!
    Originally posted by euroclie
    On another topic, I think we need a good tool to get a complete ROM dump. I write that because "ROM Transfer Extension" seems to work more or less, but after the end of the actual ROM store, I get some data that obviously come from the RAM...

Are you using his latest version?

ROM Transfer Extension 3.3
    Patrick,

Thank you very much for your efforts. Hopefully it leads to the solution.

Frans-Peter
    I've performed a second ROM dump again using ROM Transfer Extension, and will compare this one with the previous just after the upgrade. Of course, I'll let you all know if I find anything useful!

I hope you don't end up like Lars!

Good luck, 3ur0<l!3.
    Originally posted by The Chupacabra
    I hope you don't end up like Lars!

Good luck, 3ur0<l!3.
    LOL!

If the men in black come knocking at my door, I'll try to send someone my latest findings before they get me!

After a quick look, though, it doesn't seem any more trivial than before... <sigh>
    Hi,

I have an unlocked orange UK treo 600, when i put wireless on it asks to check the sim card or make an emergency call. When i choose to make the emergency call, i suddenly hear a phone going off somewhere. There is no simcard in the treo. HUH? I hang up, because i don't want in the way for real emergencies, but how is this possible. I am even living in Holland....so i think it calls the british emergency centre???????
    @peter017
    Any gsm phone can make an emergency call whitout card.
    Man this is almost as exciting as when we were waiting for the phone itslef to be released. I don't know how often I've checked this thread today...
    @Atari,

Thanks, i never knew and i think it's not the case in The Netherlands either but i will check.

and yes....this is exciting.....
    Originally posted by Mol
    Man this is almost as exciting as when we were waiting for the phone itslef to be released. I don't know how often I've checked this thread today...
    Guess what: I was using 3.3alpha instead of the more recent 3.3 version of ROM Transfer Extension.

I've updated RTE, and now the ROM dump seems better (before I had bits of RAM and bits of other unknown stuff (firmware?).

Grrrr... Silly me!

Now I'm applying the 2.09 upgrade again, so that my device is again locked to get a (hopefully working) ROM dump in the locked state, and another in the unlocked state later...

Sorry about that!

Otherwise, I've found the HS serial number (curiously enough, the device doesn't seem to have the classic "snum" ressource which normally holds the device serial number. Here the snum ressource is filled with blank (0xFF) bytes instead. I'm waiting for the new ROM dump to be completed to post the exact ROM offset of the hardware serial number...
    THREE HOURS!! I need a response...the suspense is KILLING me!

Guess what: I was using 3.3alpha instead of the more recent 3.3 version of ROM Transfer Extension.

I've updated RTE, and now the ROM dump seems better (before I had bits of RAM and bits of other unknown stuff (firmware?).

Grrrr... Silly me!

Now I'm applying the 2.09 upgrade again, so that my device is again locked to get a (hopefully working) ROM dump in the locked state, and another in the unlocked state later...

Sorry about that!

Otherwise, I've found the HS serial number (curiously enough, the device doesn't seem to have the classic "snum" ressource which normally holds the device serial number. Here the snum ressource is filled with blank (0xFF) bytes instead. I'm waiting for the new ROM dump to be completed to post the exact ROM offset of the hardware serial number...

Very interesting. Would you be able to post exactly what was not transferred when you used the current version I had posted? And is the serial in FLASHABLE ROM? Ooops! Et ou est l'IMEI?

If Handspring was sloppy in protecting their simlock, heads are going to roll.

And I suggest you now start posting under the name, Unbelievable Next Big Thing (so the Men In Black won't come over to have a little "chat" with you tonight).

Remember:
    1) Look out for vans with blacked-out windows parked outside your home.
    2) Run the shower whenever you talk to anyone at home.
    3) Always look behind you.
    4) Get used to moving to a new home every week.
    5) Don't expect any more Christmas cards from Jeffy "Unbelievable Next Big Thing" Hawkins from now on.
    6) Watch out for the car (the black sedan) following you. Everywhere.
    7) Listen for unexplained "clicks" on your phone line.
    8) Don't accept rides from strangers.
    9) According to government records, you no longer exist. P.R.: you've been "erased".
    10) Don't let anyone into your home that claims "[their] car broke down and [they] need to use your phone".
    11) Always sleep with one eye open and never turn your back to the door.
    12) How would you like a new pair of cement shoes? Cheap.
    13) Don't sit beside any windows.
    14) Talk to Lars' widow before you post another message here.

15) If you crack it, charge for your time. $50 for unlocking service would be fair.

Treocentral should have an archive for Hall of Fame-worthy threads. If euroclie succeeds in unlocking with a re-flash this thread even beats the one where the generic GSM phone files were used to dump carrier-specific restrictions.
    Originally posted by nodeel
    THREE HOURS!! I need a response...the suspense is KILLING me!
    Set your CityTime to show Paris time...
    Exactly. And don't forget here in Paris we don't start working any earlier than 9.30 am. :-D
    Originally posted by The Chupacabra
    Very interesting. Would you be able to post exactly what was not transferred when you used the current version I had posted?
    Hard to tell... I'd have to have a 100% correct ROM dump to know which part are wrong when transferred with RTE 3.3.

When I used the 3.3alpha version, I had some noticeable differences (i.e. when you browse the ROM with an hex editor, you see the "normal" content of a PalmOS ROM, then suddenly the content becomes completely "obfuscated" and doesn't look like PalmOS databases anymore, and later you again switch to normal PalmOS stuff...

Here with the RTE 3.3 (slightly more recent than 3.3alpha), the result is still not correct, I fear:

I get the normal ROM dump from the start of the Small ROM (offset 0) to the 0x004C0000h offset, then it's definitely not the ROM anymore. At least, not the part I expected to find...
    It might be some other part of the ROM memory (firmware?) or some part of the RAM (video buffer?).

Anyway, a little bit further in the ROM dump (0x00570000h) I get some clearly identifiable PalmOS content again: it's a RAM Store!

The bottom line is that I don't yet have a correct ROM dump...

And is the serial in FLASHABLE ROM? Ooops! Et ou est l'IMEI?
    Didn't find the IMEI yet. As for the serial number, I'd says that it's in protected ROM, as the surrounding content is "0xFF" instead of "0x00" generally found in the non-protected sectors. But the memory offset (in the ROM dump) at which I find the snum is not constant! This means that it's not yet possible to give its exact address. If you want to have a look, I did find mine at offset 0x0052d244h in the "locked" ROM, and at offset 0x0052c230h in the "unlocked" ROM.
    The data there was basically the same, except for a "GoUc" field (9 bytes) which has appeared in the unlocked ROM...

And I suggest you now start posting under the name, Unbelievable Next Big Thing (so the Men In Black won't come over to have a little "chat" with you tonight).
    As long as I don't have anything more useable, I'm not too concerned with that aspect of things...

15) If you crack it, charge for your time. $50 for unlocking service would be fair.
    Hmm... interesting idea indeed! That being said, I remember the problems I had getting my money from PalmGear or simply PayPal (they don't provide a fool-proof bank-account entry form, yet they tell you that if you enter the bank account number incorrectly, they'll charge you some big bucks to cover the expenses involved by unsucessful money transfers... I ended up spending most the cash I received on PayPal by donating it to dedicated webmasters like Shaun McGill at PDA247 or Sammy at PalmAddict, and also purchasing a few UltraLingua dictionnaries, as they do accept PayPal paiments )

And all in all, I'll probably sleep better if I don't try to get money from it. I mean, with my daytime job and family life, I can't dedicate myself to opening such an unlocking business - people would have to wait for days sometimes before I can get back to them, and I'm 200% sure they would complain loudly if they have to wait more than a couple of hours!

Should I find interesting things, I'll make them public and try to upload a clear documentation so that other programmers may use it. That way, I hope that the men in black (or Handspring, or Orange, or other carriers) won't come knocking at my door!

Right now, though, I'm afraid we're stuck again. I'll try to order a serial cable and play a bit with the PalmDebugger and the Treo in debug mode. It doesn't seem to accept to use my USB cable (but then I haven't read the Handspring developer's doc)

Treocentral should have an archive for Hall of Fame-worthy threads. If euroclie succeeds in unlocking with a re-flash this thread even beats the one where the generic GSM phone files were used to dump carrier-specific restrictions.
    Like Mol says in its signature, don't sell the bear's fur before you've shot it! Until further progess, it's only, as Shakespeare would put it, "much ado about nothing"...

Hmm... More than 4Kb for this single message... Not bad for an early morning post!
    Originally posted by Mol
    Exactly. And don't forget here in Paris we don't start working any earlier than 9.30 am. :-D
    I still enjoy some (longer than usual) holidays, so I'm at home at the moment. But my wife's complaining about some work still waiting to be done in the garden, and anyway tomorrow we'll be in the Pyrénées montains for a one-day ski trip, and on Friday afternoon it's time for a trip downtown for the January Sales season opening!

Next comes the week-end in family (more time spent with the wife and kids than in front of the computer).

And on Monday I'm back to work and away from the computer for extended periods of time... <sigh>
    Anybody wanting to volunteer to do Patrick's garden in return for an unlock code? With a bit of luck you can combine it with a skiing trip!
Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast