Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 6111213141516171819 LastLast
    Well well, my trip to the store for my new sd disc was worth the long drive, my treo is now working, the only problem is that the AT&T logo is still there, but can live with it, here is the info I got from phone info, in case it is any good for information

Number: Number not on sim
    Operator: XXXXX
    Signal Streangth: 10
    Roam Status: not roaming
    Sftware: treo600-1.07-
    Hardware: B
    Serial: ABCD1234567890
    IMEI: 01234567890
    ESN:
    Lock Status: Locked ( is this normal????? )

THANKS MOL AND THE OTHER PEOPLE THAT HELPED WITH THIS PROBLEM, YOU SAVED ME 560.02 USD, I WAS GOING TO PURCHASE AN UNLOCKED PHONE, THANK GOD AND YOU PEOPLE THAT I RED BEFORE PLACING THE ORDER
    Originally posted by cvt

you might need to enter a new service centre number. this you will need to get from t-mob.
    can someone whos unlocked there phone it try this please. try to get to the voicemail and try to get to the sim address book. on the non native sim i cant do this. using the originak sim I can get these. I am yet to resync the rest of my stuff, i will let you know what happens.
  3. cvt
    To remove your XXXX service provider logos and screes from T600 you can run firmware 2.09 (search discussion for link)
    Note, that this will be permanent, and you get the Handspring screens until you replace them with your own happier screen savers.
    NB one more reminder, this is irreversible. You will also have to run the 'unlock' FW again as any upgrade locks your phone again
    Hope this helps. There are refs to this in the threads, but we are heading for a novel here!
    Thanks for the info, I have the matrix back ground now, it is not too sharp but it helped get the at&t logo out...
    "its done and it works!
    beautiful job fellas - this is truly a high water mark in the war against anticompetitive practices undertaken by certain service providers."

A quote from further up this chain (above). Let me share the economics of phone locking not that I think for a moment that anyone on this thread believes it is truly OK to break the lock. It's a bit like eating veal.

A handset is locked to a provider in order to be able to provide it to the consumer at a reduced cost and guarantee that the actual cost can be recouped from you during your contract period. It's a co-conspiracy to allow you to feel like you are not spending too much up front but you know you will spend it over the contract in easy chunks.

e.g. Phone A costs the carrier $300. They choose to subsidize it by $100 and sell it to you for $200 with a 1 year contract. They expect to make $100/12=~$8.50 per month from your payments in order to make up the hard dollars they paid to the manufacturer.

There is no way that a phone is ever free. Why do you think that handsets supplied for pay as you go use are more expensive than with contract? It is simply because there is no guarantee that you will use service and thereby be able to pay back the subsidy.

If the lock system is abused much, the wireless carriers will simply stop locking the phones and will charge the true cost up front to all of us. Either way, we end up paying for the phone in full but you make it harder for those on lower incomes to get their phone initially as they cannot front the cash for the real cost of the phone. That is anticompetitive and no fun for the poorer folks in our society!

There is no big company conspiracy here. It is simply a way of helping you to finance a phone purchase.

My 2c
    Originally posted by Poryphyron
    "its done and it works!
    beautiful job fellas - this is truly a high water mark in the war against anticompetitive practices undertaken by certain service providers."

A quote from further up this chain (above). Let me share the economics of phone locking not that I think for a moment that anyone on this thread believes it is truly OK to break the lock. It's a bit like eating veal.

A handset is locked to a provider in order to be able to provide it to the consumer at a reduced cost and guarantee that the actual cost can be recouped from you during your contract period. It's a co-conspiracy to allow you to feel like you are not spending too much up front but you know you will spend it over the contract in easy chunks.

e.g. Phone A costs the carrier $300. They choose to subsidize it by $100 and sell it to you for $200 with a 1 year contract. They expect to make $100/12=~$8.50 per month from your payments in order to make up the hard dollars they paid to the manufacturer.

There is no way that a phone is ever free. Why do you think that handsets supplied for pay as you go use are more expensive than with contract? It is simply because there is no guarantee that you will use service and thereby be able to pay back the subsidy.

If the lock system is abused much, the wireless carriers will simply stop locking the phones and will charge the true cost up front to all of us. Either way, we end up paying for the phone in full but you make it harder for those on lower incomes to get their phone initially as they cannot front the cash for the real cost of the phone. That is anticompetitive and no fun for the poorer folks in our society!

There is no big company conspiracy here. It is simply a way of helping you to finance a phone purchase.

My 2c
    True.

One thing though: cellphones aren't a necessity for most people. If someone can't afford a cellphone's true cost, maybe they should be doing other things with their money. (Like saving it.)
    Originally posted by jtw64
    I think I've messed something up. I unlocked by running firmware updater.. then to get rid of the at&t branding i did rom update from the same menu on the sd card. under phone info i now have:
    Number: correct as it should be
    IMEI: correct as it should be
    HS SN: 1234567890123
    SA Number 1001310270
    Firmware 02.09
    Software: Treo 600-0.0/921/02.0
    Hardware Treo 600 x.y

What happened to my handspring serial #? It's gone..

Any ideas on how to get this back??

Mol, Need you help!!!

Phone is unlocked now and can use with tmobile... which i am real grateful for but what happened to my handspring serial #????

Clever self-protection, Mol?

Wonder what Handspring will do when they start getting a bunch of these returned?
    Thanks to everyone who helped solve the unlocking problem. The fix ran without a hitch and changed my at&T treo to a fully functional international phone. I have used my monaco and t-mobile sim's without a problem. Your hard work is greatly appreciated.

ErDr
    by the way you sound, it seem's to me that you are pissed with mol and the rest of the group that helped solve the unlocking issue because you did not came up with a solution, me, I thank the fellas that worked hard for the solution, first I was going to get the shaft from gsmlocker, 149.00 for cable and a link for the unlock code, again I thank the forum because if it wasnt from it I would have been shafted, second I found a better option, buy another t6 but this one unlocked by handspring for 560.02 USD plus 38.00 priority overnite shpping to my receiving address in the states, to my country another 70 bucks, then the forum saves my a$$ again, because of this solution I can use my AT&T t6, it was purchased thru ebay for 450.00 and now I care less for the serial number anyways I cant send it for repair because I was not given a receipt and the us custom would not let it in, by the time my t6 breaks down the new treo would be out, and again I will go to ebay to get it and again I will come the forum for a solution but due that all carriers must unlock their phones in a near future i will not need this procedure again, also if you read 90% of who unlocked the t6 bought their t6 with AT&T and lives overseas,, the rest just wanted to move to tmobil or another carrier. blood sucker
    Originally posted by The Chupacabra

That's not the best way to go about getting help.

I believe Mol's recent crash has probably made the solution a lot easier...

I'll talk to someone and see if I can can get the unlock fix this week. If they can hack the firmware updater, I will post here how to do it.

Congratulations, Mol, et. al. And wise decision to remove the link to the unlocker. Palm is rather "upset" right now...
  12.    #312  
    Originally posted by Poryphyron

My 2c
    Good theory... except for the fact that many AT&T Treo 600's were sold without contracts/plans (especially the upgrade plan for existing Treo 180/270/300 owners). And that the pricing is inline with non-USA non-locked providers.
    Originally posted by treo6.5
    <SNIPPED breathless drivel>
    I didn't see your frothings when I posted the above congratulations to Mol, by the way. First of all, I'd suggest you read this ENTIRE thread from the beginning, in addition to my other posts before you start ranting here. Mol and euroclie are two selfless people that looked at the lock issue as an intellectual challenge - not for any personal gain. Only problem is, no one lives in a vacuum, and the unlock is going to hurt Palm. In a major way. This hack will be around the world by the end of the week and the carriers won't be amused. How many unsubsidized $600 phones do you think Palm will be able to sell without the help of the carriers? Not enough to stave off bankruptcy. Palm needs the carriers, but the carriers don't need Palm. Nokia, Sony Ericsson, Samsung, Motorola, Sanyo, LG, etc. all have phones either already out or waiting in the wings that will easily fill the spots in the carriers' lineups if Treos disappeared tomorrow. It's too late now, but posting the link to the hacked updater crossed the line. I think Mol realizes this and he tried to remedy what he did. But Pandora's Box is now open and anyone (not just the dozen or so hackers that had posted to the thread) can leave their carriers as they choose. Think (and read) before you try spouting off here.
    Blah, blah, blah, blah, read this, do that, you don't know this, I know that, you're wrong, I'm right, blah blah, blah, blah, BLAAAAAAAHHHHH.

<snip>

...the unlock is going to hurt Palm. In a major way. This hack will be around the world by the end of the week and the carriers won't be amused. How many unsubsidized $600 phones do you think Palm will be able to sell without the help of the carriers? Not enough to stave off bankruptcy. Palm needs the carriers, but the carriers don't need Palm. Nokia, Sony Ericsson, Samsung, Motorola, Sanyo, LG, etc. all have phones either already out or waiting in the wings that will easily fill the spots in the carriers' lineups if Treos disappeared tomorrow.

<snip>
    Maybe I'm just dense, but I don't understand two things about this. I don't mean the part about whether posting info is good or bad, or who's a nice guy and who's a pest, what I'm confused about is:

1) How does unlocking a subsidized phone hurt the carrier? (Any phone, not just the T600). I agreed (each time) to a long term contract to get my phones subsidized. My carriers didn't care if I used the subsidized phone itself or not, just that I payed them for the year or two I agreed to. If I wanted out, I had to pay a huge penalty, which was typically as much or more than the subsidy for the phone. Verizon never locked their phones, and I could sell the subsidized phone an hour after I got it, without Verizon caring. Cingular doesn't appear to care either. T-Mobile only cares for 3 months . Orange appears to be afraid you'll skip out on your contract, but will give you the unlock code if you pay your whole contract up front.

2) And how is this different from all the unlocking stuff available for almost every phone already? I know Nokia phones can be unlocked by the user for free, and that there are hundreds of unlocking services for (mostly) reasonable prices. (I know there currently isn't one for the T600, but there probably will be, and once the decoding secret is discovered, the price will be reasonable).

Bill S
    tvBilly

#1 - it doesn't

#2 - it's not different

The t600 is a seriously high demand phone. The average consumer doesn't unlock their phone. Handspring might moderately care that it's been hacked open, but it's not going to result in anything NEAR bankruptcy. Thats just pure BS.

Chupacabra, keep to the apps comments. I'm sick of your unlocking comments. Yes, I admit, I didn't contribute much, anything really. But I ran the code by a couple people and had them have at it. They actually gave me several solutions, but it was at roughly the same time as the solution came here, so I ended up going with the one presented here.

At the beginning of this thread you were actually contributing, now you're all 'LET'S NOT MESS WITH IT!'.

I don't care what your 'contact' at palm says, cut the crap.

Clever self-protection, Mol?

Wonder what Handspring will do when they start getting a bunch of these returned?
    I think the only reason his S/N changed to some default is because he ran the patched version before running the original 2.09.

The fix to correct the S/N that I posted actually works. I can't help it that the TokenWriter lets you set all sorts of information like the S/N, the firmware version and the software version. Though if I find the way to write the IMEI I guarantee I won't post it.
    Originally posted by Mol
    Though if I find the way to write the IMEI I guarantee I won't post it.

Can't wait to get my number cloned, unlocked Treo!
    Many thanks to euroclie, mol, frechfries, ifly2 etc.
    Now I can use my Treo internationally without having to get phones locally or use (the extremely expensive) roaming agreement.

Just my 2 cents on tvBilly's comments:
    1) in order to get the service with any provider (unless you only go prepaid) you are bound by contract for 1 or 2 years. Even if you only are in the basic plan, your "subsidized" phone will have been paid off. So whether you have an unlocked phone or not, the carrier will get its money (and the carrier really doesn't care what phone you use). If you swap carriers with an unlocked phone, you actually are bound to more than 1 contract for x timeperiod.......... and you pay 2 recurring monthly fees.....

Also, keep in mind, that eventually, those companies out there that offer unlocking services, will get to the Treo as well. Whatever you pay them to get your phone unlocked, will definitively not get to either Palm nor the carriers. So why pay them big bucks if you have a (cheaper/free) solution at hand?

Thanks all!
    .MrByte

-----
    mytreo.net the ultimate Treo resource
    Treo Knowledge base (FAQ's)
    To All the people who have posted comments in the last 1 month regarding our ability to unlock the Phone, Well from Today 01.19.04, we our doing remote unlocking within 12 hours after placing of the order.