1.    #1  
    Look at how this board has died. It's been what ... Aug. 2002 since the Treo 300 came out? A little over a year and everyone has moved on. Interesting.

Are all of us Treo 300 old-timers just happy that we the damn thing stable, so we don't have much to talk about?
    Not in the least.

I have been comparing my 300 to the 600 quite a bit lately, and am starting to think that I don't even want to upgrade.

Doing some "Racing" between the 300 (which uses a Proxy) and a 600 (which does not by default but can be used from what I hear), I found that the 300 was outrunning the 600 for surfing.

This has kept me posting in the 600 forum lately, probably other 300 users doing the same sort of thing..

Also, I have my 300 solid and stable, am able to do everything I need, and with the exception of having the card slot and being able to watch movies, there's not much the 600 has that I need.

Unless my boss reconsiders and has the company reimburse me, the 300 will be my phone for a while.
    ----------------------------------------
    mk3cn4 uses a Treo 600 with ReqWireless Web Browser (others are useless IMO), Snappermail, Xiino, PalmVNC... and is a big infone fan. Cheaper and magnatudes better than Sprint's 411 ripoff, www.infone.com.
    I think they should revisit the 300 design. Remove the antenna nub, make it internal. Add SDIO, WIFI, BT, HIREZ+, 400mhz, 128meg ram, mp3 ringtones, OS6, beef up the flip hinge, and we're good to go!

...did I say forget the lousy camera?
    David
    i have the 300 and am not really looking to change to the 600 even though the geek in me wants the latest. however my 300 does what i want it to, and i prefer the flip to protect the screen. frankly it comes down to 'it ain't broke'
    Change is a challenge to the adventurous, an opportunity to the alert, a threat to the insecure.
    I too am a dedicated 300 user. I guess I understand the form factor improvement on the 600, but only IF you you want it more phone like. Me-I definitely prefer more pda like. As to speed on the web, my brother has a 600. we raced to a site after clearing cookies, same location, same carrier, same signal. While I did not beat him, his 600 finnished the page barely a hair faster.
    As to durability, I'ver had my 300 since October and not one problem(though the stylus silo is a bit loose).

Too bad Palmone wont offer a treo900 with flip top and pda leaning form factor.

eek
    Here here,
    I'm sticking w/my 300 until the next post 600 Treo or ? iteration from PalmOne. Yes it has issues and after the warranty expires you need to go under the hood once and an while to keep it running smooth, I just don't think the 600 features justify the upgrade.

Just my 2 cents
    GG
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    How can you guys fail to mention the VASTLY improved battery on the 600s?

My 300 can barely last a work day with SnapperMail checking 4 POP accounts every 10 minutes. If I have even one decent length phone call, I am in the red by 6-7pm.

I've been lugging around my power cord for a while now. The 600's battery life will be welcomed with open arms.
    shush... I'm still using a Treo 180
    Agreed, the battery life of the 900mAH battery is the T300's biggest weak point.
    After my warranty ran out and the old batt was at 20% of it's original capacity, I upgraded to the same battery capacity as the T600, 1800mAH. A little dremel work, minor soldering, and some kapton tape was all it took.

The added weight is well worth the advantage of "2-3 day use" between recharges. It still fits into my Casetechworks case and it keeps the guts covered up.

GG
    I noticed on TV last night Mark Geragos (Peterson's lead attorney) was using a 300. He could easily afford a 600 if he wanted to upgrade. The 300 has outlasted it's contemporaries (7135, i330) and mine recently took a nasty fall onto asphalt and is still working.
    David
    I bought a new battery for my Treo 300 and installed it yesterday. I've owned my Treo 300 for 14 months now. It's been good to me, but I would never buy another handheld or Smartphone from Palm/Handspring. I already own a Sanyo 6400 cell phone and pay nothing extra for it. As a phone, the Sanyo 6400 is so superior to the Treo 300. I'm talking about reception, signal strength and clarity.

I only get ripped off once from a company. What nerve to put a cheap battery like that in a smartphone!

I've just set up a 801g wireless home network going at speeds of 108 mpbs with my D-Link 624 Router and DWL-650 Notebook Cards. I'm going to wait for either Sony to come out with an 801g handheld or switch to Pocket PC wifi Platform.

Palm/Handspring proved to me how cheap they are.
    Originally posted by rarebird
    108 mpbs
    does me little good when the DSL at home and work is only 1.2 mbps.
    David
    Actually, I think the death of this board isn't entirely due to upgrading. I don't know how many people have tried to find information on this board lately, but since moving threads to general categories, like ringtone discussions, etc. etc., it is very difficult to find information related to the 300 specifically. Since information regarding the 600 does not apply to the 300, it is annoying as well as disheartening to have to plow through tons of posts with non-applicable information.

Before the threads were moved/reorganized, we could come to our phone section and discuss all related topics. Information was easy to find, and in effect, a community was built and maintained. Now, the entire discussion board is flooded with 600 users, and the information related to 300 software issues/ringtone/etc. etc. is scattered.

Beyond the fact that the converter (midi to pdb) was taken down- I guess since 600 users don't need it, treocentral decided it wasn't necessary, at the expense of those of us who cannot or don't wish to upgrade. I would upgrade if I could- but who has $599 to spend on a 600 when the 300 I have works perfectly??
  14.    #14  
    Very good point. I totally agree -- don't like the reorg. I feel like a T3 Classic NIMBY snob. The T6 people are ruining it for us.
    Originally posted by MobileDave
    Very good point. I totally agree -- don't like the reorg. I feel like a T3 Classic NIMBY snob. The T6 people are ruining it for us.
    Or maybe itís because the people who run this site are making money off of the 600? It would be in their best interest to try and make 300 folks switch.

J.
    You think with all these adds for cell companies, palm-one, ect., that there may be an issue with objectivity of the site. hmm . . .

Anyway, I am still living with my 300 for the time being. I donít think Sprint or Palm-one will deliver enough value for me to reinvest with them. Kind of sitting on the fence.

Russ
    Is the new battery the same 900mA as the original?

Geoffrey

Originally posted by rarebird
    I bought a new battery for my Treo 300 and installed it yesterday. I've owned my Treo 300 for 14 months now. It's been good to me, but I would never buy another handheld or Smartphone from Palm/Handspring. I already own a Sanyo 6400 cell phone and pay nothing extra for it. As a phone, the Sanyo 6400 is so superior to the Treo 300. I'm talking about reception, signal strength and clarity.

I only get ripped off once from a company. What nerve to put a cheap battery like that in a smartphone!

I've just set up a 801g wireless home network going at speeds of 108 mpbs with my D-Link 624 Router and DWL-650 Notebook Cards. I'm going to wait for either Sony to come out with an 801g handheld or switch to Pocket PC wifi Platform.

Palm/Handspring proved to me how cheap they are.
    Yes, the battery is the same 900 mA as the original. Installation was supposed to be simple, but turned out to be very difficult for me because the bottom screw on the right hand side of my unit wouldn't come out with the small screw driver that was supplied. It was a defective screw that was stripped. I was able to get the other 3 screws out. I had to force the back cover open from the left hand side and as I forced it open the defective screw fortunately came out. The old battery was glued very solid to the unit. I had to put a knife under the battery and push up to dislodge it from the unit. I then had to put some crazy glue under the new battery to keep it solidly in place. I just made sure that I connected the black and red wires from the battery to the connecter in the same orientation as before. It only took about 75 minutes to charge the battery before the green light went on again. Putting the cover back on, along with the screws was relatively easy. Now I get about 2/2 1/2 hours of use on my Treo before I have to recharge it rather than just 30 minutes.

I don't have enough confidence in Handspring/Palm One to buy a different smartphone from them every year. And this is coming from someone who has owned a Palm IIIx (and carried around an external 19.2 Novatel Modem in 1999 through Verizon's service), a Palm IIIc, Handera 330, Palm M130, Treo 300 and Treo 90. I like the Treo 90 much better than my Treo 300. I bought the Veo SD camera for my Treo 90 and it works great. Moreover, I can connect my Treo 90 to the Internet via my Sanyo 6400 phone with a small data cable and the battery life seems to be better.

I've had lots of aggravation with the Treo 300. The cheap Treo headset broke and I had to buy a Plantronics one, which, by the way, is much better. Moreover, I was rarely ever able to sync my Treo 300 via USB without having Windows XP crash with the blue screen of death. I have not had this problem with my Treo 90 or any other handheld. That problem got resolved by buying a serial cable and doing serial and network syncs.

Don't get me wrong, I have had a lot of fun with the unit. Connecting to the Internet via Blazer and Xino while I'm outside my home, along with using Verichat, has been great. I've never had a problem connecting here to the Internet in NYC. However, Email options have been disappointing. I don't think too much of Snappermail. I think that program is way over-hyped. I use Papimail and Fastmail's SMTP server.

Sorry, but I refuse to buy the latest toy because I think the company that makes the toy is cheap.
    I'll tell you one thing that will definetly make me look for another product when the time comes for me to make a change --- Sprint.

Sprint is evil. There, I don't know how else to say it.

They lie, or are uninformed, then refuse to make it right. I have wasted hours upon hours with their incompent support. The last time was the last straw .... I have never been treated so poorly from customer service in my life. And this was with a manager because that is whom I wanted to speak with upon calling because previous calls to non-managers were so frustrating. The manager not only refused to consider fixing THEIR multiple billing errors but put me on hold after waiting an hour or so to talk with someone. Suffice it to say, I am a calm man but actually ended the conversating screaming at expletive at this person. Obviously, you say, that is not going to produce the desired result. Agreed, but there was no result to be had. I was told effectively to go screw myself. I was being robbed and told to go screw myself. I don't even care anymore. I won't call back. It won't be made right. But every person I ever talk to for the rest of my life about phone companies will not go with Sprint. There is a marketing rule of thumb that says: one unhappy customer will reflect 50 lost sales in the future. Conversely, a happy customer is the best sales tool available. I was the Treo's best sales tool. I love the gadget and told legions of people about how great it was. Not any more.

Long and short, I will only consider an upgrade that does not involve Sprint (the only carrier for the 600 in my area).

They are the worst company I have ever dealt with in my entire life. Bar none.
    Sprint Customer Service Sucks, bar none. They refuse to respond to written correspondence from me because they don't want to put anything in writing that would hold them accountable. They want you to call them so they can give you a different answer every time you call them. Hence, no accountability for their actions. Just getting a straight answer from them is act of God. I am gone in a month from Sprint and I bid them good riddance.

Russ