Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Having just ordered my CDMA Treo 600 I was getting a bit nervous, so decided to try to get some info from ATT.

Just waited through ATT's long phone queue, spoke to the CSR, who confirmed that the 600s are backordered, so I said "the guy in the store told me the 610 is coming out soon." The guy hadn't heard of it so put me on hold to ask around. He said he asked several people including his supervisor and they hadn't heard anything about it. Hmmm, I'm going to try to call PalmOne now .
    Last edited by rgreene07; 01/21/2004 at 11:20 PM.
    Originally posted by rudychow
    Actually, you guys shouldn't dismiss the rumour just because the time lapse between the T600 and T610 is too small. Remember, this is the same company that released the Tungsten T2 on July 23, and the T3 on October 1st.
    I'm with you on this one.

The Tungsten and Zire Lines have been enhanced /modeled in a rapid manner. I would not be suprised in the least if Palmone moves quickly on the Treo. It appears to be their modusoperandi with their newest units, and I think Palmone has some very big plans for the Treo line. I don't see Palmone sitting on their hands in the very least. $160 million investment tells me so. I think March is very real. and I would not be suprised if another 1 or 2 additional uppgrades or models by years end occurs.

When I purchased my 600 in October 03 I figured no more then a year before an upgrade becomes justifiable with Palmone at the helm. In fact, add a voice recorder and I'm there.
    If you use the Tungsten T2 and T3 as a model:

T2 .....T3
    $329...$399: price increase is a factor of 1.2

SO

T600...T610
    $599...$719

So if the rumour (and my calculations) do pan out then the new Treo will be about $719 before carrier subsidies, more than I can afford anyway, so I guess I won't return my 600 when it comes tomorrow .

NOTE: This doesn't factor in that the T2 was 399 when originally released. But I can hardly see them dropping the T600 price by 17-18 % in the next 3 months, what do you think, Treo 600 for 499 by March? If they did that than using the above calculations the Treo 610 would be 599 retail.

EDIT: Another thing to factor is that if many people took advantage of carrier subsidies to get the 600, than those people will be locked in a contract for at least another year, and unable to take advantage of the subsidies again, meaning it will be very expensive to upgrade. This is an aspect of the phone market that differentiates it from the PDA only market, and possibly influencing PalmOne's upgrade schedule.
    Last edited by rgreene07; 01/22/2004 at 01:33 AM.
    Global Posts
    128 Global Posts
    BigTex> The T600 ARE on backorder from AT&T.

Fry's in Fremont, CA had a whole pile of them tonight at the AT&T kiosk...
    PalmOne concentrating on the SmartPhone market:
    http://news.com.com/2100-1041-5144710.html?tag=cd_top
    Global Posts
    390 Global Posts
    On the ATT Wireless website the T600 is bckordered.

This might not be a NEW model but simply an upgrade/replacement.

I seem to recall that Sony Ericsson or someone else had a problem with a production model. They fixed the complaints mid-stream and change the model # slightly to relect the fixes and kept cranking out the "fixed" units which were really just the original model with the complaints addresses.

If this rumor is true it may not be a competitor to the T600 it will more-than-likely BE the T600 with the bugs/complaints fixed.

BigTex
    Waiting for Palm Pre on AT&T then can replace my iPhone. Needs Doc To Go and Flash

Mutley - Passed 4-18-06. A better friend one could not ask for!
    PalmOne concentrating on the SmartPhone market:
    http://news.com.com/2100-1041-5144710.html?tag=cd_top
    Yes, I saw this. If they are going to concentrate on smart phones, that can only be good for Treo fans.

However, what would be good for Treo customers would be for them to deliver on what they have already announced. They seem to be much better at hype and press releases than at execution.
    Originally posted by Rendition
    PalmOne management said Treo 600 production is JUST ramping up to full steam NOW.. why would they launch a 610 when 600 isn't at full steam yet? They barely getting enough parts together for Treo 600. "major shortages!"

It makes ZERO sense. Just cuz one lame brain store clerk said so, it kind of stupid to put credence to it. My guess is we won't see a new Treo till late summer/fall.
    I personally think it makes terrific sense because Plmo is shifting production from the current suppliers that Handspring used to suppliers that Plmo wants to use. There are substantial cost savings involved. So what they do is start making the new product at their new plants, and on March, their best customers will be able to offer the 610 or whatever they call it. It ends up being a preemptive strike in preparation for the introduction of the new Samsung phone this spring. It seems they wanted to make these improvements earlier, but the technology wasn't right. Also with the cost savings anticipated, they might just keep the price point at its current level.
  9. S1M
    Would Treo 610 run palm OS6? Any indications that it will or will not?

Cheers
    Originally posted by S1M

Cheers
    Highly doubt it.
    The Treo 610 is basically the Treo 600 done "Palm's way".

I read somewhere that in the days leading up to the PalmOne-HS merger, HS had intentionally ran the promotions & turned up the hype machine for the Treo 600, "forcing" PalmOne to launch the Treo 600 on HS's own terms.

If that is true, this March update could actually be what PalmOne had intended to do for the Treo 600 in the first place but were unable to (due to prior commitments established by HS).
    Originally posted by rvwink

It ends up being a preemptive strike in preparation for the introduction of the new Samsung phone this spring.
    LOL, if Samsung's past performance when it comes to releases holds true for this "new phone," you won't see it until Q1 2006.

Boy, do I not like Samsung!
    My Treo: Treo 650, Sprint CDMA. SW: 1.08, HW: A.
    My Plan: $105/mo for 2000 AT, Unlimited N&W starting at 7pm, Unlimited PCS to PCS, No Roaming Charges in the U.S., Unlimited PCS Vision, Unlimited SMS & PictureMail.
    My Stats: Using an average of 50MB of PCS Vision per month. 2,500+ photos in my PCS PictureMail account. Had a Treo 600 since 10/24/03, switched to a Treo 650 on 1/5/05.
    Originally posted by Rendition

My guess is we won't see a new Treo till late summer/fall.
    Accurate if not bold. The real question is whether we will see Treo 600 T-Mobile by then?
    Last edited by whmurray; 01/22/2004 at 01:52 PM.

Highly doubt it.
    The Treo 610 is basically the Treo 600 done "Palm's way".

<snip>
    If that is true, this March update could actually be what PalmOne had intended to do for the Treo 600 in the first place but were unable to (due to prior commitments established by HS).
    It will be interesting to see who's philosophy of architecture prevails. For example, handspring never puts a real serial port on their machines, just a couple of digital IO lines and then they embed RS232 converters in the cable.

Handspring has always excelled at the software and user interface but been extremely cheap on the hardware. Hopefully the best qualities of both can be combined.
    Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    Treo killer on the loose with HP iPaq 3600!

Screen of 640 x 480 while we are crawling at 160 x 160

This rumour better crystalize!

Once HP gets a fashion designer and makes the ipaq prettier the Treo is a gonner!
    Originally posted by mgauss
    Treo killer on the loose with HP iPaq 3600!

Screen of 640 x 480 while we are crawling at 160 x 160

This rumour better crystalize!

Once HP gets a fashion designer and makes the ipaq prettier the Treo is a gonner!
    Right, and when might we expect that? Right after Pigs get wings.
    Originally posted by S1M

Cheers
    God, I hope not. Given the number of apps that Palm 5 broke, why would anyone want Palm 6? Give us a break. A little stability and predictability would be nice.

I upgraded my Treo 270 from Palm 3 to 4, had to fall back. Did so much damage that it took days to get back to stability. God save me from Palm upgrades.

In MS, one wants to change HW and SW at the same time. In Palm, one does not. ( In Palm, one does not want to change either very much. Software has gone down hill since the Palm Vx with the Palm 3. Where I use to be able to get AA Gates and Times in a few seconds, it now takes the better part of a minute.) In MS one gets new function as a reward for upgrading; admittedly each upgrade breaks old apps. With Palm one gets new bugs to replace the fixed ones, and all apps must be re-written.
    I dont see a point in having a 2MP camera, maybe 1 as a novelty - this isnt Sony you know..haha....

They seriously need to get rid of the external nubby. I hate those! Maybe the model for Tmo will be called the 610 since they had issues with it on their network (so I heard) just as the 270 was tmo and 300 was sprint..... could be just a definition numbering scheme for carriers.
    :Watch the Sky:
    www.godmode.com
    I'm not an expert in FCC rules, but a manufacturer can request confidentiality for a period of time to prevent public access to their proprietary info. I would think that Palm could happily go about updating the Treo 600 without lifting its skirt to the masses of palm watchers. Here's an example of a request from Handspring to the FCC to keep info on the Treo 600 out of the publics reach prior to launch.

FCC Link to PDF of Handspring letter

Palm has no filings whatsoever since July, and I find it very hard to believe that they don't have new devices in for approval. I just don't think the FCC site is a good measure of anything we don't already know about.
    On the contrary - the FCC site is exactly as good for the ... ahem ... "TREO 610" as it was for all the other TREO models.

The Next Great Thing eventually will show up In There BEFORE The Next Great Thing shows up Out Here.

Good enuf.

Keep watching that site!
    Well, now that I have had my T600 for almost 4 months, I can not see how a hi res screen and BT are going to make my life any better, or make me a more productive person. I for one, will sit this one out. After jumping on every new piece of hardware over the past few years, I can not believe I just typed this. I want Vision speeds of 1-2 MB per second. That is when I will be all over a new device.
    Carl
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast