Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Perhaps. However, based upon track record this kind of rumor mongering is exactly what HS/P1 would do and the denizens of this forum will play their game.
    I would think the opposite. Wouldn't P1 not want to spread rumors about a new phone? It would only cause people to hold on the T600 now and hurt sales.

That would imply that at least the rumours about BT are false.
    So BT counts as an additional tranciever? There are no minimum requirements that the FCC puts forth for a transciever to require approval? I mean, my norelco razer probably puts out some signal, did that get FCC approval? (Maybe not cause it doesn't recieve a signal?)
    I was lukewarm on the idea of BT. I have a powerbook with BT built in so it would have been cool to wirelessly sync.

But then I found the ultimate accessory. After I saw this I realized my next phone had to have BT!
    Originally posted by CmdrGuard

I would think the opposite. Wouldn't P1 not want to spread rumors about a new phone? It would only cause people to hold on the T600 now and hurt sales.

Would you indeed? Then I think that perhaps you and Miradu both make the mistake of assuming that HS/P1 behave rationally or even honorably. There is nothing in their behavior of the last six months to suggest that. They have been very successful in art and deceit and are unlikely to change.
    Looks like a tiny upgrade.

I'll keep my 600 and wait for the 620!!!
    Originally posted by CmdrGuard
    So BT counts as an additional tranciever? There are no minimum requirements that the FCC puts forth for a transciever to require approval? I mean, my norelco razer probably puts out some signal, did that get FCC approval? (Maybe not cause it doesn't recieve a signal?)
    Look on the back of every electronic device. It most likely says something like "Meets FCC Requirements". It is only devices with *real* wireless that needs a FCCID.

And yes, BT counts as an additional tranceiver because BT transmitts on another frequency than WiFi, and what counts is the frequency .
    Current setup: myTouch 4G Slide (main), hp Pre2 and Veer 4G (backups)
    Bluetooth runs between 2.402 and 2.480 GHz in the unlicensed industrial band (also used by IEEE 802.11 WiFi networks and microwave ovens).
    SPRINT USERS ONLY:
    I very much doubt that Sprint will release a bluetooth phone and keep their vision plans available for it. They make change their technology or plans down the road, but if they keep policy the same as it is now, Vision (as in unlimited data for $15) won't be allowed on bluetooth phones.
    Sprint monitors its "unlimited" data use very carefully. There are several threads on here made up of people who got nailed with a large Sprint bill for using too much "unlimited data" by hooking their phones to their laptops.
    Sprint does not like you to share your Vision with other devices.

As for the Treo 610 - I think we will see something along those lines before the end of the year. But keep in mind it usually takes at least four months to relase the phone after passing FCC and that hasn't happend yet.

Also keep in mind that release doesn't always mean release - as you TM folks already know.
    Actually, you guys shouldn't dismiss the rumour just because the time lapse between the T600 and T610 is too small. Remember, this is the same company that released the Tungsten T2 on July 23, and the T3 on October 1st.
    FWIW, even if this rumor IS true I doubt that palmONE will call it the Treo610. This is because SonyEricsson makes a phone they call the "T610."
    Maybe palmONE will call it Treo700 (or something like that), but they will just be creating confusion if they call it Treo610.
    just my $0.02
    Originally posted by jskier
    FWIW, even if this rumor IS true I doubt that palmONE will call it the Treo610. This is because SonyEricsson makes a phone they call the "T610."
    Maybe palmONE will call it Treo700 (or something like that), but they will just be creating confusion if they call it Treo610.
    just my $0.02
    Treo 600x ??
    I would go for a faster processor, personally, of course Hi-Res, Wi-Fi, BT, and .amr would be pluses
    Originally posted by rudychow
    Actually, you guys shouldn't dismiss the rumour just because the time lapse between the T600 and T610 is too small. Remember, this is the same company that released the Tungsten T2 on July 23, and the T3 on October 1st.
    I do not dismiss it for the reason that you suggest. I dismiss it because it is planted and because the putative source, HS/P1, is not credible.
    Originally posted by doyouflip
    I was lukewarm on the idea of BT. I have a powerbook with BT built in so it would have been cool to wirelessly sync.

But then I found the ultimate accessory. After I saw this I realized my next phone had to have BT!
    Do a little searching around. Though I agree that this is the coolest thing ever, apparently it's not all it's cracked up to be just yet. I've seen stories of trouble pairing phones with it, and apparently it's even harder to unpair. Check some Acura forums or something, I'm sure a lot of the issues are discussed there.

However, I do see this as being the future of hands-free phone usage in cars. I really hope they iron out the bugs and this is the next big thing, since it's such a great improvement for safety. It's definately a cool usage of BT, and before I saw this I couldn't care less about BT and had absolutely nothing I'd want to use it for.
    Originally posted by jskier
    just my $0.02
    Well let's see... the numbering scheme so far has been 90, 180, 270, 300, 600.

So I agree that 610 just doesn't seem to fit in. I sucked at those number relation problems on standardized tests, so I can't see the relationship besides them being divisable by 2, 3, or 30. I know they're not prime numbers or anything.

610 isn't divisable by 3 or 30 though, only 2. Seems awkward and illogical. But who knows.
    why would the FCC need to approve the BT??? you don't need an FCC license for low power (10W in case of FM radio band) and BT is a low power transimssion standard for very short ranges.
    I am pretty sure that I read on TC way back when (no time to search now to verify) that the circuit board of the T6 has a space allocated for a bt chip. I believe the board is even pre-drilled and marked to indicate such (thereby saving Handspring money by being able to use the pre-existing mass-produced board in future upgrades). This board, along with the rest of the then existing T6 unit and specs thereof, was submitted to the FCC for their approval.

Now, my question is this... Does Handspring/Palm have to resubmit a unit with a working bt chip or does the pre-existing design and the approval thereof stand on its own?

Obviously, I am hoping that further FCC review is not necessary and that we indeed could see an upgrade soon without ever seeing any tell-tale fcc filings.
    Originally posted by JudBaird
    I
    Obviously, I am hoping that further FCC review is not necessary and that we indeed could see an upgrade soon without ever seeing any tell-tale fcc filings.
    Hope springs eternal etc.

We all hope.

We hope that HS/P1 will ship to T-Mo customers.

We hope that they go on the water wagon.

We hope that they will finally tell the truth, at least when the truth will do.

We hope, we hope.

We hope but we are losing faith and charity.
    Good by June (the time I actually need the treo 610) we should have something more substantial.

Is it ironic that I actually just got a Sony Ericsson T610
    Global Posts
    390 Global Posts
    I believe this rumour is true. here is why:

1.) P1 knows that T600 had problems but released it anyways before too many defections to PPC Smartphones

2.) This is a "minor" upgrade in the minds of P1. Fixing existing issues on the same assembly line with the same components (Except for the screen, memory and BT)

3.) The board was pre-drilled for BT

4.) Lack of High-rez screen has been impacting T600 sales.

5.) P1 may be using "just in time" manufacturing, a'la Dell, so they may not have "wasted inventory"

6.) The T610 will replace the T600 on the assembly lines so no wasted inventory (explains why invenotry has been tight everywhere)

7.) T-Mo is holding off on T600s. Ans Sprint may not relase a CDMA version with BT or they might but they are 1 of 3 carrier currently selling T600 in US and then there is ORANGE in Europe.

8.) To base the Name on being divisible by 3 is not a compelling argument. P1 in NOT HS

9.) BT may have already been approved but dropped from T600 for cost

10.) Makes prefect sense...T600 is close but not quite there as you have all noted on this forum

11.) P1 is totally focusing on Smartphones now and they need to have a "best In class" product. With the existing T600 issues( Speaker buzz, rattles, low rez screen etc.) this is a great opportunity for P1 to have a BEst In Class product, address the complaints, and do so without more dev costs (which they cannot afford right now.) http://www.brighthand.com/article/pa...ounces_Layoffs

BigTex
    Waiting for Palm Pre on AT&T then can replace my iPhone. Needs Doc To Go and Flash

Mutley - Passed 4-18-06. A better friend one could not ask for!
    Global Posts
    390 Global Posts
    Subject to some dispute

" So you're not going to believe this .....

Went to another store today and a store rep was on the phone talking about a treo 610 some time in the next month or so. Says it's basically the same except different firmware and a better speakerphone. So it sounds like it might be just a fine tuning of the treo 600 and not really a NEW treo.

She also saw they were dumping the current old treos on the web and on phone orders and not in the stores. "

The T600 ARE on backorder from AT&T. maybe this is true

BigTex
    Waiting for Palm Pre on AT&T then can replace my iPhone. Needs Doc To Go and Flash

Mutley - Passed 4-18-06. A better friend one could not ask for!
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast