Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    No new filings:

-- http://svartifoss2.fcc.gov/prod/oet/...ericSearch.cfm

"o8f" is the Grantee code to enter (and the only thing one has to enter).
    I thought the reason Treo 600 didn't have bluetooth in the first place was because Sprint didn't want it. They don't want people using it to connect their laptops to the net. If they allow bluetooth now, will they make people go to the $80 a month unlimited vision plan who buy this phone. This whole thing sounds a little fishy to me!
    What's leading anyone to believe that this rumor is based in truth?
    > What's leading anyone to believe that this rumor is based in truth?

Well...==3== months is a long time, right?

That's what the rumored intro date is.

(Or, hey!, maybe we should discuss LAUNCH dates again!

Then we can get into SHIPPING dates!

Yes!)
    I'm not sure Derek, but it was a very small post with no sources listed, and seemed suspect to me from the beginning. I hate to say it but these sorts of posts with no real source usually result in nothing.

....and yes, Sprint would probably not want BT and would charge more for vision access on a phone with BT. That was their intention with the T608. I personally would rather get by with what I have now than to incur additional vision charges.
    I SERIOUSLY doubt it will come out in March. Just a hunch, even if they had a model ready, why would they launch it when 600's are flying out the door.

My best hunch is late summer/ early fall, they will have a low-end treo (cost reduced current model (600) and a high-end one.
    http://www.firstadopter.com - where early adopters discuss great stuff first
    > ...why would they launch it when 600's are flying out the door...

Jumping to the conclusion that "TREO 600s are flying out the door" because TREO 600s are out of stock everywhere is silly and probably (undoubtedly, IMHO) very very wrong.

There are a multitude of possible reasons TREO 600s aren't available including:

(1) They're flying out the door.

(2) They never made it into the door to fly back out again.

(3) They made it into the door but then were pulled back before they could fly out (i.e. recalled).

Please note - (2) and (3) above have MORE evidence backing them up than does (1).
    Personally... I want a new treo to come out or prices to be lowered for existing sprint customers. I never bought the 600 with the Treo 300 upgrade deal cause no Sprint Store in my area had one. I wasn't willing to plop down $400 for something I can't physically see before I buy it. Now it looks like I'm paying for it every day as I read the boards and all the great things about it.

Bring forth a new treo, or lower prices, or do something. Why am I being punished for my long contract and loyalty to sprint (not to mention I'm a bit of a shareholder)?
    Global Posts
    244 Global Posts
    Originally posted by Tribalenvy
    ....and yes, Sprint would probably not want BT and would charge more for vision access on a phone with BT. That was their intention with the T608. I personally would rather get by with what I have now than to incur additional vision charges.
    Thats correct. If you activate the Sony T608, Sprint makes you go on a plan with a limited amount of vision (such as 4MB), this would most likely be true for future BT phones that are released (if any).
    Not all treasure is silver and gold.
    I agree with Burkhardi that these new features aren't enough to get me to upgrade, yet... assuming that this phone is even in the works. Regardless, there will eventually be a replacement for the T600 and BT and hi-res screen will certainly be considered. My suspicion is that Sprint will resist heavily the introduction of BT on the CDMA model.

I really really wish there was a way to get BT to work with voice and not data (maybe Sprint would be more accepting). I'd love to be able to get into my car and answer the phone in my pocket without having to dig it out when I'm driving.

Anyway, I still love my Treo... till next year.
    i agree. i will wait till a completely new line of treos is released rather than upgrading for some minor improvements overall in the phone.

even still, i will be keeping an eye out for it.
    Originally posted by DSDxp

Thats correct. If you activate the Sony T608, Sprint makes you go on a plan with a limited amount of vision (such as 4MB), this would most likely be true for future BT phones that are released (if any).
    Not if you add it to your existing Treo 600 plan
    PalmOne management said Treo 600 production is JUST ramping up to full steam NOW.. why would they launch a 610 when 600 isn't at full steam yet? They barely getting enough parts together for Treo 600. "major shortages!"

It makes ZERO sense. Just cuz one lame brain store clerk said so, it kind of stupid to put credence to it. My guess is we won't see a new Treo till late summer/fall.
    http://www.firstadopter.com - where early adopters discuss great stuff first
  14.    #34  
    While I don't necessarily think we'll see a new model in March, it doesn't seem that the "610" is that much different that it couldn't simply replace the 600 on the assembly line.

Geoffrey
    more like a mid year upgrade. I agree..
    I have some doubt in this rumor. Even though in my prediction article I said otherwise, I now believe (hint hint) that we will see only one new treo, and it will be available in fall. However, cellphones have to be certified by the FCC, and then it takes 6 months or so before the carriers allow them on their networks, so we may see it leaked/launched by PalmOne in march/april, but then wouldn't ship until fall. If I were PalmOne though I would try my best to keep it under wraps as long as possible.

As for the specs given, I think some of them are too conservative. This Treo would carry them another year, so they would want another great set of features/specs...

As for battery life, palmone has shown that battery life is a #1 feature of a Treo, so I doubt their changes will affect the battery life of the Treo.

As for bluetooth, corporate custumers want bluetooth believe it or not, and Sprint wants to sell them service. Selling to consumers though is confusing, because from what I hear Sprint people don't know what the right plans are for consumers to use bluetooth. (corporate plans are very different from consumer plans). Hence the trouble with the t608.
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
    camera included allows wireless carriers to gobble up data usage minutes= more revenue

lack of voice record allows carriers to charge for features like voice command (which will become common place with most carriers)= more revenues

lack of blue tooth keeps users from abusing current minutes / data usage plans=protecting revenue.

these are omissions and inclusions often driven by the carriers. they have a great deal of say on features desired or not for their phones, especially on the treo which had very active collaberation with Sprint.

what makes sense for improvement may not actually happen.
    Why does everyone always assume that this is related to the wants and needs of Sprint?!?

There are other carriers out there and Miradu even speculated that the exclusivity period with Sprint was nearing it's end.

Just a comment...
    Originally posted by bosox
    Why does everyone always assume that this is related to the wants and needs of Sprint?!?

There are other carriers out there and Miradu even speculated that the exclusivity period with Sprint was nearing it's end.

Just a comment...
    If sprint had said no to hs they would still be pushing prisms at best.
    the pull of sprint on hs was tremendous, or it's relationship and collaberation extremely close. that's well known.

the sprint treo relation is so strong that palmone was willing to pay 160 million for hs. without sprint hs and palmone would not have been. palmone lacked a strong carrier relation and is quite convinced that smartphones are the future. that means you pay a toll to use the wireless roads. that toll is called carrier pull.
    Last edited by JTREOB; 01/19/2004 at 01:46 PM.
    The ONLY new model I could see them coming out with in 3 months is a camera-free model for the secure-concious business user. I don't think that would require an FCC-revision (most companies get FCC approval from "fully loaded" models, and then they can strip features without resubmission.)

When I worked for a hardware manufacturer, typical EARLIEST turnaround from FCC filing to customer's hands was about 90 days. Usually, it took longer than that.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast