1.    #1  
    anyone know of good IMAP email clients that work with push and the 5way navigator?

i know how excellent Chatter is, but i think it's almost too forward thinking in trying to consolidate email and various IMs into one contact (this as an honest compliment). if only the industry caught up to that kind of thinking.

until then, i'd like to keep my email and chat separate, with more conventional Palm UIs (and fonts). any suggestions would be very appreciated. thank you.
    Last edited by illdefined; 01/18/2004 at 08:33 PM.
    FYI... There are any number of Chatter users who only use it for I(MAP email. The latest test versions also have a more email-like interface option for email. Changes are coming pretty quickly, with many comments from IMAP users being incorporated into the design. You might sign up for the imap discussion at http://lists.imchatter.com if you'd like to keep abreast of developments.

Marc
  3.    #3  
    Marc, i'd like to thank you for being insanely attentive to your project and it's users. i've read all your responses and respect the hell out of your skills and dedication.

i will register, and support your project. like i said, i just think people arent ready for Chatter's ambitious convergence. us common people need two separate IMAP/IM apps that look and act more like Palm/Treo apps. you could charge what you want at that point, especially with your customer service.

thank you. keep up the excellent, excellent work
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Marc, have you ever considered just splitting Chatter into 2 seperate apps, one for IMAP email and one for IM? I'm sure you been asked this before, and it's probably a lot of work and/or in contradiction to your vision for the product, but there are probably plenty of potential customers out there who are scared off by the IM aspect of it.

Not that you asked for my opinion or anything, but I think it would be cool to have a seprate IMAP email app that had a more "traditional" feel to it. (plus support attachments) Who knows, maybe it would even be more profitable to have 2 separate products...?
    I am one of those users of Chatter that use both its IMAP abilities and IM and enjoy using it. It does an excellent job keeping me up-to-date with my email throughout the day. It took a short while to get use to it and frankly, it more than meets my needs. As Marc states, it is being revised constantly and it is a quality product. As for making it "two" applications - I vote against that. Chatter handles more than 100 emails a day for me with NO problems. I even respond to a number of them via Chatter.

Ben

--------------

Originally posted by illdefined
    anyone know of good IMAP email clients that work with push and the 5way navigator?

i know how excellent Chatter is, but i think it's almost too forward thinking in trying to consolidate email and various IMs into one contact (this as an honest compliment). if only the industry caught up to that kind of thinking.

until then, i'd like to keep my email and chat separate, with more conventional Palm UIs (and fonts). any suggestions would be very appreciated. thank you.
    Here's a vote for a separate email program. Marc, you're a godsend to those of us who can no longer deal with Sprint's crappy email service. Thanks for everything. I plan to register my chatter soon.
    wondering if chatter supports IM with SSL?
    I've never been asked about secure IM before... If there were enough demand, I would consider it...

Marc
    sorry i meant IMAP with SSL - not IM with SSL
    I am working on supporting SSL. At the moment, what's holding me back is a bug in the Treo ROM. I'm not sure there's a workaround at this point.

Marc
    hhmmmm VERSA mail does support it
    Asynchronously, and in the background? (SSL works just fine in the foreground with the latest Chatter...)

Marc
    no you are right - versa mail is live pull only - not asynch and not in background...
    ... and THAT'S what the ROM bug prevents! I'm hoping to get some information today or tomorrow on this.

Marc
    happy to be a beta tester when you have it fixed
    Originally posted by mblank
    ... and THAT'S what the ROM bug prevents! I'm hoping to get some information today or tomorrow on this.

Marc
    I have the latest chatter but no way to specific ssl imap or ssl/smtp auth on port 587

any help would be appreciated

thanks

/v