Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast
    Sorry for the delay, I purchased a second copy just now for donation.
    Thanks, Great App looking foward to updates.
    Jim@treo1.com
    <a href="http://treo1.com">
    treo1.com
    One Stop, plain and simple
    <a href="http://treo1.com/index650.htm"> Visit our new Treo650 optimized site!!</a>
    <a href="http://palmoscentral.com"> Visit our new website palmOSCentral.com!</a>
  2.    #122  
    Originally posted by elysian9

I may be answering out of line here (RNS will have to weigh in on this), but other RNS software such as HiLauncher, only requires a one-time license. (I bought 1.0 and got 1.1 without more $.) I cannot imagine additional $ for upgrades of TST. So... short answer: No, 99.9% certain. ( I will ask RNS just to settle it firmly, so that we can all have peace of mind.)
    RNS has confirmed that updates to TST will be free to those who purchased 1.0.

In fact, all updates and upgrades for all their applications except HoHo are totally free.
  3.    #123  

* Elysian9: 10 copies purchased, 8 copies donated: (confirmed, thank you!)

* southbound747: 3 copies purchased, 2 copies donated (confirmed, thank you!)

* thegasguru: 7 copies purchased, 6 copies donated (confirmed, thank you!)

* GeekyMom: 2 copies purchased, 1 copy donated (confirmed, thank you!)

* Burkhardi: 2 copies purchased, 1 donated (confirmed, thank you!)

* Treo 1: 1 copy purchased, 1 copy donated (confirmed, thank you!)

* nicker: total of 3.5 copies pledged (no purchase or donations confirmed)

Total donations to date: 19
    Hi all,

My name's Gavin Maxwell and I'm the owner and developer at Pocket Science Pty Limited here in Sydney Australia. I've just been made aware of this discussion by one of my Clip PRO users. Seems a simple solution would be for TST to have an extra key command to activate CP - it would be about 5 lines of code to do this. If someone has the TST developer's email address please ask him to contact me: gavin (at) pocketscience.com.au and we can get TST working with CP!!

Cheers,
    Gavin.
    I really was excited about this TreoSelect text until I used the free demo. This is definitely not how I envisioned it would work. IN fact, I find myself struggling to press shift and left-dpad very quickly in sequence to make this work. I just don't see this being done right. Am Missing something or is the demo version not working right?

M

The result of this thread: http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...0&pagenumber=1 TreoSelecText functions like a native built-in tool, much like 'Texter.' There is no UI; the file resides in RAM and is deletable using fileZ.

It was created by Radoslaw Nowak, RNS, Founder and Chief Software Architect of Ranosoft, www.ranosoft.net/palm (HiLauncher, HoHo, HBX, etc.). I worked with him via email today, to tweak this as he coded the prc file via simulator and then sent the test prc files to me for hardware testing. Very smooth operation indeed.

Highlight/Select one word to right = shift +Rocker-right
    Highlight/Select one word to left = shift+Rocker-left
    Highlight/Select one line up = shift+Rocker-up
    Highlight/Select one line down = shift+Rocker-down
    Highlight/Select current line = shift+Rocker-center

TST has so far been exquisite on my GSM Treo 600, and consistent and stable. I've tested it in all the native text apps, Snappermail, DateBK5, TAKEphONE, and pop-up text windows in Blazer. All good. Amazing to be able to select text as in Windows.

TreoSelecText will be available Monday on PalmGear and Handango for $14.95.
  6.    #126  
    Originally posted by markm10
    I really was excited about this TreoSelect text until I used the free demo. This is definitely not how I envisioned it would work. IN fact, I find myself struggling to press shift and left-dpad very quickly in sequence to make this work. I just don't see this being done right. Am Missing something or is the demo version not working right?

M

The demo is only partly functional. The full version is very easy to use and does exactly what I specified. You can see from the replies and from over 300 d/ls the first week that things are sweet with TST. Sorry that the demo is so crippled.
    Allow me to be more specific...the demo, which enables left select text functionality only, does not seem to allow me to select left-oriented text very easily. I run software projects for a living, and I can assure you this would fail my quality standards, even for the simple operation of left oriented text selection. The demo should give me a more positive feeling and it does not. Real simple here...

I want to press shift twice (i.e., shift lock), then while I click the left dpad it selects text as a I go. I can then copy/cut/paste etc. This tool does not seem to work intuitively toward my use case, even in left select useage analysis. Again, I just don't see it. I am trying this darn tool over and over again and when I am in a calendar entry with 5 separate words I find only 10-20% of the time does it select the word when I use the shift-LDPad combo key sequence. Really painful here. I've been thinking through how this would work for about 2 months now and am obsessively passionate about making this work, just as you seem to be since you drove the development of this. I would gladly pay $100 to the developer if this worked more intuitively the way my mind is expecting. I wish I could articulate this usability better. Perhaps you can send this to him. I promise you this, this option is that important to me and pulling out the stylus one more time tomorrow will drive me mad.
  8.    #128  
    Originally posted by markm10
    Allow me to be more specific...the demo, which enables left select text functionality only, does not seem to allow me to select left-oriented text very easily. I run software projects for a living, and I can assure you this would fail my quality standards, even for the simple operation of left oriented text selection. The demo should give me a more positive feeling and it does not. Real simple here...

I want to press shift twice (i.e., shift lock), then while I click the left dpad it selects text as a I go. I can then copy/cut/paste etc. This tool does not seem to work intuitively toward my use case, even in left select useage analysis. Again, I just don't see it. I am trying this darn tool over and over again and when I am in a calendar entry with 5 separate words I find only 10-20% of the time does it select the word when I use the shift-LDPad combo key sequence. Really painful here. I've been thinking through how this would work for about 2 months now and am obsessively passionate about making this work, just as you seem to be since you drove the development of this. I would gladly pay $100 to the developer if this worked more intuitively the way my mind is expecting. I wish I could articulate this usability better. Perhaps you can send this to him. I promise you this, this option is that important to me and pulling out the stylus one more time tomorrow will drive me mad.

There is no shift lock (at the moment). If you read through this thread you will see that this feature may be available in version 1.2. Current version is 1.0. 1.1 at the end of February. For me, it is currently totally intuitive, as it is for many others. To each their own. For quite a bit less than $100, in fact less than $10.00, you may have the full version, and you will be able to hold the shift key and select whatever text you want with the 5-Way rocker. 1.1 will increase user preferences, and add and fix a few things here and there.

Cheers!
    Originally posted by pocketscience
    Hi all,

My name's Gavin Maxwell and I'm the owner and developer at Pocket Science Pty Limited here in Sydney Australia. I've just been made aware of this discussion by one of my Clip PRO users. Seems a simple solution would be for TST to have an extra key command to activate CP - it would be about 5 lines of code to do this. If someone has the TST developer's email address please ask him to contact me: gavin (at) pocketscience.com.au and we can get TST working with CP!!

Cheers,
    Gavin.
    so gavin, you are the developer of clip PRO? my understanding is that it is not yet fully compatible with the treo's 5-way navigation control. do you have plans to optimize clip PRO for use with the treo?
    Sprint Treo 700p, Sony UX/TX, u720,
    Edirol R-09, Mitsu PK 20, Mimio
  10.    #130  
    All pledges and donations have been confirmed! Countless thanks to southbound747, thegasguru, GeekyMom, Burkhardi, Treo1, and nicker. You have done a truly amazing thing. We got ourselves a tool we all sorely missed, and in the process raised 21 complimentary copies for a TC contest. Great teamwork! Who will those lucky winners be? (As of Today TST has clocked 371 d/l's.)

* Elysian9: 10 copies purchased, 8 copies donated: (confirmed, thank you!)

* southbound747: 3 copies purchased, 2 copies donated (confirmed, thank you!)

* thegasguru: 7 copies purchased, 6 copies donated (confirmed, thank you!)

* GeekyMom: 2 copies purchased, 1 copy donated (confirmed, thank you!)

* Burkhardi: 2 copies purchased, 1 donated (confirmed, thank you!)

* Treo 1: 1 copy purchased, 1 copy donated (confirmed, thank you!)

* nicker: 3 copies purchased, 2 copies donated (confirmed, thank you!)

Total donations: 21
    elysian9 et. al.: Saw your feedback on my suggestion of adding pure navigation via 5-way to TreoSelecText. Sorry for delay in responding. Lots of work to do; not much time to post here.

Details on key selections can be worked out. I think the real question is, is adding pure navigation to TreoSelecText a good idea? I think it is a good idea for the following reasons:

-In long texts, you often need to page up, down, & across to get to passages (since "Find" can't locate text you don't remember clearly); you want to scroll without using a stylus, especially when TreoSelecText already lets you select text without it.

-Using TreoSelecText as is just to navigate (when you really don't want to select text) risks wiping out text you selected.

-Adding pure 5-way navigation to TreoSelecText makes it more attractive for a word processing company to support the Treo 600, since they'd need only add standard Treo 600 5-way support while TreoSelecText adds uniform 5-way text selection and pure navigation that also works with the Treo 600's built-in apps.

-Adding pure 5-way navigation could increase TreoSelecText sales

-Adding pure 5-way navigation parallels Windows use of separate modifier key (Ctrl versus Shift) for text navigation and text selection, so this would be more complete for many typical users

How about the following pure 5-way navigation keys (if the Treo 600's Option key can be used by the programmer):

Navigation Function..........Treo Key Combination

move one word to right....Option+5-way-right
    move one word to left......Option+5-way-left

move one screen up........Option+5-way-up
    move one screen down...Option+5-way-down

The use of the just the Option key for 5-way navigation (vs the Shift key for selecting text) removes the objection of elysian9 to the cumbersomeness of simultaneously depressing 2 keys along with the 5-way (I agree it is more cumbersome--it was there only for pure parallelism to Windows word-at-a-time text selection).

Note that using the Option with the 5-way to move by screen allows faster navigation through text; also it is already used as a convention in the in-built Contacts and the Applications (and others?). So it seems this would help familiarity.

Forgive the long post--I can't post a lot so want post complete.

What do people posting here think about adding pure 5-way navigation to TreoSelecText?
    sounds interesting to me. there are many times that i would like to be able to jump up or down a screen without the stylus....and the navigation function you are talking about sounds good. separating the buttons is a good idea. (pressing 'em all at once like you said before was impossible...but this sounds doable). option + the 5 way for navigation...sounds like a good choice. and then shift + the 5 way to select text....yeah, sounds all right to me.
  13.    #133  
    Originally posted by FuturePerfect
    ... What do people posting here think about adding pure 5-way navigation to TreoSelecText?
    How could anyone object? We always want tools to do more than they currently do.

Implementing such a major additional alternate feature would be based not on whether or not it's a good idea (and it is), but strictly on how adding all the code necessary to make this work affects the development schedules and software priorities of RNS.

It is important to keep in mind the seminal nature of this project. It was entirely atypical: pledges, donations, and inquiries by a single Treo 600 user (me) literally across the globe, trying to find someone who thought it worth their time. I think we were all flabbergasted when it actually happened in 9 days. I was. And now, almost 400 d/l's later, we have a tool that most of us by now are taking for granted. And that's how it should be: "Of course the Treo 600 can select text with the 5-Way navigator. Didn't it always do that?"

It's amazing how far we've come. Have a look at what TC members have generated since November 2003: Treo 600 Specific Utilities/Tools/Fixes by TC Members . No other handheld device can claim these achievements.

My point is that you may never see this option/5-Way feature incorporated into TST, or you may see it in months from now, but not because its merits are poor. On the contrary, this would be a good tool to have indeed, but TreoCentral is a flock of the already-converted. The SW developers are the ones who need to hear from the end users. In this case, us; and many here at TC are presently and regularly emailing SW developers of other important applications, urging them to support the Treo 600 5-Way Navigator. So, I suggest you contact RNS directly at info@ranosoft.net, and explain your ideas just as you have done here. Be a real part of the TST effort. You've got nothing to lose. Maybe you'll get it in TST v.1.3, or just maybe someone here will give us a stick of TNT: TreoNavText.

My point is that you may never see this option/5-Way feature incorporated into TST, or you may see it in months from now, but not because its merits are poor. On the contrary, this would be a good tool to have indeed, but TreoCentral is a flock of the already-converted. The SW developers are the ones who need to hear from the end users. In this case, us; and many here at TC are presently and regularly emailing SW developers of other important applications, urging them to support the Treo 600 5-Way Navigator. So, I suggest you contact RNS directly at info@ranosoft.net, and explain your ideas just as you have done here. Be a real part of the TST effort. You've got nothing to lose. Maybe you'll get it in TST v.1.3, or just maybe someone here will give us a stick of TNT: TreoNavText.
    Well I think I will decide on a separate tool - the TreoNavText, but I will start working on it immediately after TreoSelecText 1.1 is released (23 February?) unless any other developer does it faster
    RNS:: software for your Treo! www.ranosoft.net/treo
  15.    #135  
    Guess I'll have to just have to stop looking around the globe to find someone to make TNT
    thank you RaNo for deciding to work so quickly on the TNT
  17.    #137  
    I've been informed by miradu that the TST contest will start tonight and run for a week. 21 copies will be given away. Again, 21 thanks to all who donated.
  18.    #138  
    Originally posted by FuturePerfect
    ...Navigation Function..........Treo Key Combination

move one word to right....Option+5-way-right
    move one word to left......Option+5-way-left

move one screen up........Option+5-way-up
    move one screen down...Option+5-way-down
    Thanks, FuturePerfect, for starting the debate on navigation. I made your argument to RaNo and proposed a companion tool called TNT. You've got your wish. I'd look for it in early March, but no guarantees.
    Thank YOU elysian9!

I also e-mailed RaNo on Feb 10 and communicated my ideas on navigation, as you had suggested (and also thanked him for all his great work too).
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast