Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 185
  1.    #61  
    Originally posted by cosmicpatriot
    Good news: this tool is, IMO, indispensable for not using the stylus.

    Bad news (not the end of the world, but annoying): it leaves the shift key activated. So if you want to delete a block of text, you select it using the utility, but when you hit backspace, you have to hit it twice - once to deactivate shift, then again to actually backspace. They should fix this.

    It works fine otherwise.
    Actually, if you have a closer look, the shift "hold" has a timeout (2 seconds?) After the time out you're free as a bird. Try it.

    I'll look into seeing if we can implement a user option on the length of the timeout, or just have it removed.
  2.    #62  
    Originally posted by Felipe
    I'm trying the demo.

    You have to use two hands to select text? You need to press shift and the direction key at the same time.

    Is this how it is in the not demoed version?
    Yes, by design. Not sure if that can be changed. I do know that the shift key is very tricky for programmers. On the other hand, we assumed that if you are using the thumboard for entering text, then you've got both thumbs in action. So...

    For one-handed operation it did not seem necessary, as there is little one can do with any celerity with only one thumb for text editing. So TST was not deigned for one-handed text entry. True, why not be able to select/copy/paste with one hand; and you're right, it cannot be used for that kind of one-handed action. But if you are doing that, we assumed that you would eventually put both thumbs on the keyboard to edit whatever text was copied in the context of whatever other text was present, and so, again, that may help to explain the reasoning I used.

    Maybe in another version? Many of the quetions asked or any suggestions will eventually get answered. So enjoy TST for what it was designed to do: highlight/select text for editing. Remember... this all happened in about 1 week's time, and the actuall prcl was created in 3 hours! And we got more than I asked for, as I've posted previously.
  3. #63  
    e9,
    In no way did I attempt to mislead.
    I was in no way saying/implying that.... just trying to get the actual comamds out to the public, so people would not complain, as they do so well and often on this blue orb we live on.

    Nip it in the but before it happend if you will.
  4. #64  
    Actually, if you have a closer look, the shift "hold" has a timeout (2 seconds?) After the time out you're free as a bird. Try it.
    Tried it. You are correct, but I wouldn't even bother making it a definable thing. Why would you want to keep the shift enabled after deleting text? Definitely kill it as it just isn't necessary. (Thanks for the prompt responses, by the way).
  5.    #65  
    Last edited by elysian9; 01/20/2004 at 04:27 PM.
  6.    #66  
    I need a way to easily track suggestions, as they are already getting tough to follow. I will update this post with lists. This will help with deciding on what to change/add for v.1.1, etc. Please reply specifically to this post, so I can track your suggestions easily. Use BUG BOX if your post relates to a problem or bug. Suggestions only go here:


    1. Remove the timeout on the shift key when in highlight/select mode.

    2. User option to start highlight/select mode.
    • a. As is, hold shift+rocker.
      b. Press shift key, release, and then rocker presses.

    3. User preference for center rocker press.
    • a. current line
      b. current word
      c. current character
      d. select all (as in menu S)

    4. Make trial version fully functional.

    5. If curser is mid-word then shift+rocker press selects current word then next word with RR and RL, etc. [This suggestion can be handled in two ways: by having the center press user configured for select current word, which is my preferred way, or by a user preference option that can be switched on or off.]
    Last edited by elysian9; 01/20/2004 at 07:43 PM.
  7.    #67  
    Please post problems and bugs by replying to this post. For suggestions please reply to SUGGESTION BOX. Bug reports go here:
    Last edited by elysian9; 01/20/2004 at 07:39 PM.
  8.    #68  
    You can now use TST to highlight and select telephone numbers, email adresses, urls and names in order to and dial the numnber, send emails, and save names without every removing the stylus or tapping the screen. Very cool indeed.

    http://www.shsh.com/beta/tkphos5hk102.zip


    "Capture: Can handle emails & URLs !!! (highlight an email address or URL, and press “Address” (or “Phone”) button to start an email message or browse). (Note: can be used with the new “Text Select Tool” for the Treo 600."
  9. #69  
    Originally posted by elysian9
    You can now use TST to highlight and select telephone numbers, email adresses, urls and names in order to and dial the numnber, send emails, and save names without every removing the stylus or tapping the screen. Very cool indeed.

    http://www.shsh.com/beta/tkphos5hk102.zip


    "Capture: Can handle emails & URLs !!! (highlight an email address or URL, and press “Address” (or “Phone”) button to start an email message or browse). (Note: can be used with the new “Text Select Tool” for the Treo 600."
    Note: you need the main TAKEphONE application, too...
    Shimon Shnitzer
    Maker of TAKEphONE, 2day, 4cast, 2dial & CallCards -
    "Take telephony into your Palm"
    Web: http://www.shsh.com/products
    Blog: http://www.shsh.com/wordpress
    eMail: contact@shsh.com
  10. #70  
    On Windows, are there simple text editors (for Windows .txt files) or word processors (for Word .doc files) that will sync with the Treo 600 and work with TreoSelecText there?

    I have a 100K byte .txt file (200K bytes as a .doc) file I use for notes and don't want it split into 25+ memo pad files.

    Is it true as I've heard rumored that none of the big name Treo word processors (WordSmith, Documents To Go, etc.) will work with TreoSelecText? That's OK--I'd be satisfied with a simple editor that would work with a simple .txt file; or I'd even convert it to a .prc file if the editor syncs with the Treo.
  11.    #71  
    Originally posted by FuturePerfect
    On Windows, are there simple text editors (for Windows .txt files) or word processors (for Word .doc files) that will sync with the Treo 600 and work with TreoSelecText there?

    I have a 100K byte .txt file (200K bytes as a .doc) file I use for notes and don't want it split into 25+ memo pad files.

    Is it true as I've heard rumored that none of the big name Treo word processors (WordSmith, Documents To Go, etc.) will work with TreoSelecText? That's OK--I'd be satisfied with a simple editor that would work with a simple .txt file; or I'd even convert it to a .prc file if the editor syncs with the Treo.
    The rule of thumb regarding TST is that the app must contain a Palm text edit field that supports a blinking cursor, and in which the native menu will copy and paste, etc. But there are some caveats here: HTML pages will not support TST (at the moment) and I haven't met a Palm Reader that supports it yet either. TST is a first release, v. 1.1. Future vesions will enhance the current functionality.

    FYI: DTG and WS would support TST if they supported the Treo's 5-Way, which currently they do not. The problem is not with TST but the the Dataviz and Blue Nomad. DTG will eventually however support it, at least according to their emails. We'll see.

    Why not drop a note in the suggestion box?
  12. #72  
    So that means I'm out of luck at this time for any text processing app (except Memo Pad) that syncs with Windows and works with TreoSelecText on the Treo right now?
  13. #73  
    No, DTG doesn't support TST, but they are working on supporting the Treo600 5-way. So there is some big hope....
    Regards, Matt Burkhard
  14. #74  
    Thanks Burkhardi. And I'd settle for only the simplest app!...

    Regarding suggestions, elysian9, first, I will e-mail the developer that you mentioned, DTu@dataviz.com with my 2 cents.

    FYI, I previously got a reply from support@bluenomad.com (Bobby Genest). He responded to some my own ideas about Treo 600 5-way support (to follow in suggestion box, when I figure out how to use it). Bobby said support for the Treo 600 5-way conflicts with support for the Tungsten T. He said Blue Nomad had compromised, and WordSmith had SOME support for BOTH devices. But adding more support for one device might not work for the other device; hopefully in the future there'd be a solution.

    I do have some suggestions for TreoSelecText (which I bought to use and to support the very responsive developer). However, pardon my ignorance, but how do I reply to SUGGESTION BOX? Do you mean just put SUGGESTION BOX in the subject line?
  15.    #75  
    Originally posted by FuturePerfect
    So that means I'm out of luck at this time for any text processing app (except Memo Pad) that syncs with Windows and works with TreoSelecText on the Treo right now?
    I'd prefer to view this more positively, in the sense that TST should be taken as if it were native to the Treo 600; as if Handspring included it in ROM (they ought to license it, IMVHO). That was the seminal thought on TST. With that in mind, the conclusion drawn from any 3rd-party SW that does NOT function with Treo 600's 5-Way nav is simply that it has not been updated for the device, and therefore cannot utilize TST. Slowly, but surely, many developers are now releasing Treo 600 updates. And any update that supports 5Way will obviously include support for TST. With TST onboard, your Treo 600 will select and highlight text without touching the screen, as long as the 3rd-party software fully supports the rocker pad in a text field.

    Parital list of Apps working with TST:

    MEMO
    TODOS
    CALENDAR
    ADDRESSES
    SMS
    MMS
    SPEED DIAL (text fields)
    DATEBK5
    TAKEPHONE
    BUGME (text fields)
    SNAPPERMAIL
    HS MAIL
    TEXTPLUS
    TEXTRAS
    BLAZER (text fields, text popups, favorites, ETC)
  16.    #76  
    Originally posted by FuturePerfect

    However, pardon my ignorance, but how do I reply to SUGGESTION BOX? Do you mean just put SUGGESTION BOX in the subject line?
    Click on the reply box of my post above titled SUGGESTION BOX. This will make it easy for me to track. I will update that post to refelct the updated list. Thanks!
  17.    #77  
    Originally posted by FuturePerfect
    ... FYI, I previously got a reply from support@bluenomad.com (Bobby Genest). He responded to some my own ideas about Treo 600 5-way support (to follow in suggestion box, when I figure out how to use it). Bobby said support for the Treo 600 5-way conflicts with support for the Tungsten T. He said Blue Nomad had compromised, and WordSmith had SOME support for BOTH devices. But adding more support for one device might not work for the other device; hopefully in the future there'd be a solution.
    Well... he speaks not the truth. Blue Nomad did not write WS. It was written by an independent developer named Scottt Maxwell, who controls the rights, and who has recently very clearly indicated that he has absolutely no intention of continuing any development on WS. As new devices are released and OS 6 arrives, WS will likely fade from the scene, which of course, is just too bad, because it was the best. DTG is the Palm WP of the future AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK.

    He also mislead you regarding their by now infamous "compromise." Implementing support for a complex applicaton on multiple devices is commonplace. It is what developers do. Watch the updates: "support for the Tungsten-3 5Way added," "support for the Treo 600 5Way added," and so on. DATEBK5 has support for all Tungsten devices, Treo 600, Treo 270, Treo 300, Clie Ux-50, Garmen and more, all with utterly "opposing" navigation hardware. What that means is that the programmers have to add all the appropriate code, which means work, which means paying them. Even Blue Nomad provided this kind of varied support while WS was making money. And thats' the operative and final word here: $.

    What Bobby G was saying in one sweet word was: "Goodbye."
  18. #78  
    Originally posted by elysian9
    I need a way to easily track suggestions, as they are already getting tough to follow. I will update this post with lists. This will help with deciding on what to change/add for v.1.1, etc. Please reply specifically to this post, so I can track your suggestions easily. Use BUG BOX if your post relates to a problem or bug. Suggestions only go here:


    1. Remove the timeout on the shift key when in highlight/select mode.

    2. User option to start highlight/select mode.
    • a. As is, hold shift+rocker.
      b. Press shift key, release, and then rocker presses.

    3. User preference for center rocker press.
    • a. current line
      b. current word
      c. current character
      d. select all (as in menu S)

    4. Make trial version fully functional.

    5. If curser is mid-word then shift+rocker press selects current word then next word with RR and RL, etc. [This suggestion can be handled in two ways: by having the center press user configured for select current word, which is my preferred way, or by a user preference option that can be switched on or off.]
    Add 5-way navigation to TreoSelecText via another modifier key?

    I've had ideas for Windows-like navigation on my Treo 600--see my post on this discussion board at:

    http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...threadid=45183

    But, even though I still like my ideas (naturally) I also TreoSelecText for its universality (in fact, I already bought it).

    Below is a shorter summary of the concept that is detailed in my post thread referenced above:

    I can use TreoSelectText to navigate without cutting or copying the text (just depress the 5-way pad one more time in direction you want at the end removes the highlighting) but would feel better if I could navigate with another modifier key (besides Shift) and the 5-way, much as Windows uses Ctrl+ --> for navigation and Shift + --> for text selection. Then no worry about hitting another letter and it replacing all selected text (I know I can Undo it, but isn't separate navigation better?)

    Any chance this could be added in a future release?
  19.    #79  
    Originally posted by FuturePerfect


    Add 5-way navigation to TreoSelecText via another modifier key?

    I've had ideas for Windows-like navigation on my Treo 600--see my post on this discussion board at:

    http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...threadid=45183

    But, even though I still like my ideas (naturally) I also TreoSelecText for its universality (in fact, I already bought it).

    Below is a shorter summary of the concept that is detailed in my post thread referenced above:

    I can use TreoSelectText to navigate without cutting or copying the text (just depress the 5-way pad one more time in direction you want at the end removes the highlighting) but would feel better if I could navigate with another modifier key (besides Shift) and the 5-way, much as Windows uses Ctrl+ --> for navigation and Shift + --> for text selection. Then no worry about hitting another letter and it replacing all selected text (I know I can Undo it, but isn't separate navigation better?)

    Any chance this could be added in a future release?
    I do not understand your suggestion. Maybe use some clear examples of what you would like.
  20. #80  
    elysian9:

    Hope I posted to SUGGESTION BOX properly--I've never used the Board in this way before. If I posted improperly, please let me know what I did wrong.

    Thanks for the info about Blue Nomad.
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions