Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Originally posted by elysian9
    Radoslaw from Ranosoft requested the following to those who pledged:

If you pledged $15, then buy one copy
    If you pledged $30, then buy two copies

And so on.

In my case, to use another extreme example, I will buy 6.7 copies. And I will (buy 7 copies).
    Since you're determined to purchase multiple copies of an app you can only use one of, why not donate one or two to TC to give away in their next contest?
  2.    #22  
    OK, so, it seems that the app can select text without the stylus, is that it? Then what?

What do you do after you select text with your stylus or finger?

The only usable solution for this is to 1) have the app with the selected text dial the number

It was not concieved or designed as a dialer. Posters to the original thread were only seeking a way to select text in Windows fashion. A few of the recent Clies can do this and it is terribly useful. In fact, there was a hack for the Treo 270/300 that could do this, but it fell by the weyside. That said, TAKEphONE can do this (as you indicate), and in conjuction with TST, your Treo can select a telephone number in any text field and dial it without ever touching the screen, and will do it elegantly.

go to the URL or launch a new email with the text in the TO: field (of Snappermail first)

TST is not a launcher or an app add-in. It is a 3.6K text tool only.

- all with a press of the center nav button OR 2) ask Shimon of TakePhone fame to support this functionality in his TakePhone OS5 'hack'.

Don't need to. If you have both TST and TAKEonPHONE you're there. But not the Snappermail thing.

Either way- it's not a killer app until this functionality is complete.

I don't think anyyone ever said it was. Firstly, it is not an application in any sense of the term. It is tiny, tiny text tool, like Handsping's built-in 'Texter,' and the treoselectext.prc is even smaller than 'Texter,' which is 135K. You may not even know that 'Texter' even exists, but it is there ready to serve. If you type dont (without the ') it will turn dont into don't. It will capitalize an 'i' in mid sentence, etc. TST is the same thing. You can't see it, there is no UI, but it is there ready to serve. It is meant to compliment 'Texter' and Treo shortcuts. It was meant to be invisible, as a native text-select tool. That is all.

Does it do this already?

No. Many threads about this expressing consternation as to why HS did not include it.

You are more than welcome to d/l the file when it goes live. I'm certain you will come to appreciate the conspicuous omission that TST will remedy.
  3.    #23  
    Originally posted by Alli

Since you're determined to purchase multiple copies of an app you can only use one of, why not donate one or two to TC to give away in their next contest?
    That's a heck of a good idea. I'll do it.
  4.    #24  
    Originally posted by Burkhardi

Ditto.

elysian9, can you out a link up when the App is ready to download. thanks
    I'm updating this thread whenever possible. I won't leave anyone hanging, but like I said, you guys/gals will probably see TST go live before I do--busy day, caught 30 mintues to check in here.
  5.    #25  
    Originally posted by Bujin

I think the point is that you will be able to cut/copy/paste without pulling out a stylus. While the ability to launch, dial...etc., would be cool, the word processing benefits are still great.
    It's a text-select tool that enhances the Treos cut/copy/paste function. That's all. Lots of great lauchers out there. The file is 3.6K-- it's terribly single-minded.
  6.    #26  
    Originally posted by snerdy
    Wow, elysian9 -- I'm amazed that this project came together. Way to go, man.

The program doesn't seem to be up on PalmGear or Handango, but I'm in for at least one copy.
    I don't remember, did you pledge? If so, then match your pledge to the number of copies. If not, whatever you want...
  7.    #27  
    Originally posted by Burkhardi
    No, the cut and paste is free. $15 for the ability to select a word or line w/o the stylis. perhaps the price will go down after a while? I am going to do it. It's a fair price IMO.

Fleipe, No, really, I see what your driving at, but to some it will be worth it. Regards, matt
    Let's keep TST in perspective. At the risk of repeating myself (and I am, sorry) this is the tiniest of text tools. It just fills a very conspicuos omission.
  8.    #28  
    Sorry, wish I had something to report other than my misc. comments above. Hang in there, it will eventually happen.
    Don't need to. If you have both TST and TAKEonPHONE you're there. But not the Snappermail thing.

Hi,

Assuming this thing works - once you have a number highlighted - press the PHONE button, and you can dial it via TAKEphONE.

You know what - once this thing is out - I will enhance TAKEphONE's "capture" mechanism to allow for SMS-ing and also handling e-mail addresses (starting a new messsage with "to:" as mentioned above)
    Shimon Shnitzer
    Maker of TAKEphONE, 2day, 4cast, 2dial & CallCards -
    "Take telephony into your Palm"
    Web: http://www.shsh.com/products
    Blog: http://www.shsh.com/wordpress
    eMail: contact@shsh.com
  10.    #30  
    Email from Ranosoft witht the good news. I've got the official release zip now.

Handango will go live first, then Palmgear. It needs to cycle on these sites before it appears, so don't flame me if you don't see it for while.

The prc is now at at 7K.

Here's the readme.txt:

RNS:: TreoSelecText
    -------------------

1. INSTALLATION:
    - Install "tst.prc".
    - TreoSelecText is immediately ready to use.

2. SUPPORT:
    - support@ranosoft.net

3. FULL VERSION:
    - www.palmgear.com
    - www.handango.com

---------------------
    www.ranosoft.net/palm

Here's the history.txt:

RNS:: TreoSelecText
    -------------------

Version 1.0:
    - First release.

---------------------
    www.ranosoft.net/palm
  11.    #31  
    RE: Future versions:

I had suggested to Radoslaw the following during our whirlwind sessions:

Implement a a user preference panel, where one could chose how the center-press functions: whole word, whole line, select all, etc.

His reply today is "... 1.1 in a month's time."

No problems here. Only solutions.

[Please report all bugs and problems to this thread.]
    Last edited by elysian9; 01/19/2004 at 02:35 PM.
    Originally posted by Felipe
    $15 for cut and paste?
    as others have said, it is a little more than that. the ability to use the treo without having to take out the stylus is goal worth supporting and fighting for. eventually, hopefully, it will be there. it will take incremental steps.

personally i'd like to inch the process forward faster than would happen otherwise if left just up to HS/PalmOne.

i think it is fifteen...yeah...for this editing tool. but isn't just that. it is supporting a process of people working together in this forum to accomplish something positive instead of a lot of complaining that the treo camera sucks, has no BT, etc....

those things can't be changed until a new hardware model comes out. but having new apps made is something we can do.

in fact, i think this spirit of cooperation should be continued. i hope many people will buy the app to encourage treo software developers to consider us a significant market. (and therefore charge lower prices too because more people will be buying stuff too).

i think as a next step after this app is out and being reasonably supported (ie, purchased)...we as a more united group should target a product like docs to go or agendus and relentlessly email the developers until they release upgraded versions that fully support the treo's 5 way-nav control.

here in NYC. the union 1199 is particularly powerful in local politics because they leader, david rivera, can deliver his membership to the polls to vote. and in return the governor has richly rewarded them. lesson being, unity can produce results.

so finally, treoselctext in my eyes is just part of the point here. more importantly a group of people worked together to make something happen in a little over a week. harnessing that power and expanding it to continue to push for software optimized for the treo is where i see this really going.

what do other people think?
    Last edited by southbound747; 01/19/2004 at 02:28 PM.
    Sprint Treo 700p, Sony UX/TX, u720,
    Edirol R-09, Mitsu PK 20, Mimio
  13.    #33  
    Originally posted by TAKEphONE

Hi,

Assuming this thing works - once you have a number highlighted - press the PHONE button, and you can dial it via TAKEphONE.

You know what - once this thing is out - I will enhance TAKEphONE's "capture" mechanism to allow for SMS-ing and also handling e-mail addresses (starting a new messsage with "to:" as mentioned above)
    It's been said before. Synergy. Positive. Thanks, Shimon.
  14.    #34  
    And an icon. So, you can turn it off, if you find bugs, problems, etc.
  15.    #35  
    If you pledged please adjust your # of copies accordingly. New Price: $9.95. And there is a trial version, too.

this is Handango:

http://www.handango.com/PlatformProd...roductId=96921

(allegedly available)
    Last edited by elysian9; 01/20/2004 at 04:45 PM.
    I think it would be more useful to extend the highlight region one character at a time. Could that behavior possibly be an option?
  17.    #37  
    Bought the 1st 8 copies. I'll buy two more, when the TC contest winners claim their prize.
  18.    #38  
    Originally posted by platron
    I think it would be more useful to extend the highlight region one character at a time. Could that behavior possibly be an option?
    Seems unnecssary, but I guess every user has their preference. V. 1.1 (in about a month) will have the center-rocker press as an option in a prefernce panel in which you can user-select your choice of select/highlight for that press. We can include your suggestion, sure, why not... (see my previous post regarding the prefernce panel.)
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Got my copy... no problems yet on CMDA T600.

I too vote for an option to do individual character selection.

ERic
    The price is cheaper, I'll buy two when you dicide if TC can use it for a gift. let us know.
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast