Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    Ever tried scrolling with your pinky, or had to pull the stylus out just to scroll a page? VolKeys is for you!

VolKeys lets the volume buttons on the left side of your Treo 600 perform scrolling.
    • Supports any application that has a single scrollbar, or that supports the 5-way navigation pad
    • The default action of these buttons (ringer / earpiece volume) remains intact when you're using the phone.
    • Free trial version gives you 15 days of full functionality

Find it on Handango:
    http://www.handango.com/PlatformProd...roductId=98764
    Last edited by jishaq; 04/29/2004 at 05:09 PM.
    Nice idea, but isn't this the same thing Vol Rocker and TreoButler already do?
    Yes, it's the same idea, though it is a very simple and basic utlity that only does one thing and one thing only. The others are more complex and perhaps more desirable for some. I like the stark simplicity of VolKeys, and I'm hoping I do not run into the SW and HW conflicts I had with both TreoButler and VolumeRocker. If it gets more complex, as the author indicates, I may end up being totally wrong on this.

* Noticed that scrolling on HTML pages in SnapperMail not only scrolls but lands on all hotlinks as it scrolls. It seems to combine a 5Way down press with a right press simultaneously. I like that. It doesn't function like that in Blazer, which is a good thing, because it would not really scroll, but would just move from one link to another.
    I'm with EL9, I like simplicity too...
    Can't talk, down-loading (incert Homer Simpsons voice)
    Jeff,

Could you take a minute and have a look at this proposal I posted yesterday about a nice little utility called TreoSelecText:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...-t45965/s.html
    Would someone please program the vol buttons to do a FULL PAGE up and down (as opposed to a LINE up and down?!!!)

Don't get me wrong. Kudos to you guys for tapping into the side buttons. But what do we have now, 4 utilities that do the same HALF thing? (NavButton, Volkey, VolumeRocker, and TreoButler is it?) They simply do whatever the 5way already does.

C'mon guys! We need the side buttons to do a FULL page up and down at the same time that the NAV button retains its line up and down functionality.

Eagerly awaiting...
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    Originally posted by elysian9
    Jeff,

Could you take a minute and have a look at this proposal I posted yesterday about a nice little utility called TreoSelecText:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...-t45965/s.html
    That's a great idea, I'll think about it more when I have spare time. As long as an application uses a traditional PalmOS Field UI resource, it could be supportted easily; however, apps that transcend fields and do custom drawing in place of Fields (like most any word processor, browser, etc) might not work. Or worse, they might have to be special-cased, which is a big can of worms.

Keep up the good ideas!

-Jeff Ishaq
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    Originally posted by cosmicpatriot
    Would someone please program the vol buttons to do a FULL PAGE up and down (as opposed to a LINE up and down?!!!)
    Funny, this was exactly my original intention -- I remapped VolUp to PAGE up, and VolDown to PAGE down to see what happened. But a program's interpretation of these keypresses is entirely up to the application developer; e.g., ToDo List takes a PageUp and converts it into a line up.

For the next version of VolKeys, I'd like to have it do a real, honest-to-goodness PAGE scroll if there's a scrollbar present; otherwise, line-by-line. Sounds easy enough right?

Thanks for the feedback.
    -Jeff Ishaq
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    Originally posted by BS Mann
    Nice idea, but isn't this the same thing Vol Rocker and TreoButler already do?
    Hehe, I didn't see those utils before I hacked this one up. I'll check them out. I was just fed up with the stupid damned "Ringer Vol" thing popping up every time I absent-mindedly pushed the vol button for a scroll. So I did something about it.
    Funny, this was exactly my original intention -- I remapped VolUp to PAGE up, and VolDown to PAGE down to see what happened. But a program's interpretation of these keypresses is entirely up to the application developer; e.g., ToDo List takes a PageUp and converts it into a line up.
    Then your original intention is exactly what is needed! In point of fact, the Clies do just this. They have the jogdial on the side do line up/down while the page up/down knob does just that, page up/down!

For the next version of VolKeys, I'd like to have it do a real, honest-to-goodness PAGE scroll if there's a scrollbar present; otherwise, line-by-line. Sounds easy enough right?
    In that case, I greatly look forward to the next version of VolKeys! (Just remember to let the NAV continue to do line up/down while the VolKeys do the full page)
    Last edited by cosmicpatriot; 01/10/2004 at 10:46 PM.
    That's a great idea, I'll think about it more when I have spare time. As long as an application uses a traditional PalmOS Field UI resource, it could be supportted easily; however, apps that transcend fields and do custom drawing in place of Fields (like most any word processor, browser, etc) might not work. Or worse, they might have to be special-cased, which is a big can of worms.
    Alright Jeff. If you can do the newer VolKeys to do the true page up/page down, you will reach the status of Treo Hero. But finally write the utility that does selection of text with the shift/NAV combination, and now we're talking Treo Demi-God!

If I eagerly await the next VolKeys, I think I speak for others when I say I'm DYING for the Text Selection program! As for the Field UI resource, I have to mention again the Sony Clie. Someone had written precisely this kind of utility called Keyquick. As you say, apps that don't use the traditional PalmOS Field UI resourse are not affected, but this is NOT an issue!! The overwhelming use for this would precisely be the built-in main PIM apps. Please please develop this!
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts

Alright Jeff. If you can do the newer VolKeys to do the true page up/page down, you will reach the status of Treo Hero.
    Ok, I think I got the full-page scroll figured out. I've implemented this in 0.02b, try out the new PRC and let me know if there are any problems.

-Jeff Ishaq
    What happens is if your cursor is in a note and you press the vol up or vol down, it jumps out of the field and on to the buttons. Do you not have a Treo to test this? If not, I'm happy to be your tester!

For what it's worth, it does correctly scroll one page at a time through a list of memo's when there aren't any open. It is within an open memo (or todo or calendar note) that it does not work.
    What happens is if your cursor is in a note and you press the vol up or vol down, it jumps out of the field and on to the buttons. Do you not have a Treo to test this? If not, I'm happy to be your tester!

For what it's worth, it does correctly scroll one page at a time through a list of memo's when there aren't any open. It is within an open memo (or todo or calendar note) that it does not work.
    Meaning it does not scroll at all.

Also, in Blazer, it scrolls one page as did the previous version. In Blazer there is no difference between a VolKey down press and a Rocker down press. Is this intentional, or should a VolKey down press in Blazer do something more (or less) in Blazer? Personally, I would prefer a VolKey down press in Blazer to go the end/bottom of the web page, and VolKey up press to go to the top of the web page, as there is no way in Blazer to do this with any key press. Ideally this would be a user option (check box). For me, if the Volume keys scroll in exacly the same manner as the Rocker (as in both TreoButler and VolumerRocker) there is no significant advantage, except for the possible convenience of hand position.

Also, in a SnapperMail HTML page, as in the previous version, VolKey scrolls and navigates to the next link at the same time as it pages -- the same thing as a Rocker down press and Rocker right press combined. Hopefully, this will remain, as it is great feature (accident?).
    elysian9, I consider your Blazer suggestion as a very nice-to-have. Luckily the 5way already accomodates both a page down (with a down touch) AND a highlight next or previous link (with a left or right touch) which in my opinion makes it better than the other browsers. But I hope the bigger issue is addressed (of allowing full page up and down within a note while leaving the nav at its default behavior).

We're getting closer!
    Volkeys looks to be a great application. I tried out version 0.02b, but found one deficiency that prevents me from using. While actually on a call, it is no longer possible to adjust the call volume. The ringer volume sets just fine while in the Phone app, but once a call is initiated, the call volume cannot be changed.

Could you possibly have it detect that a call is in place and not intervene with pg up/down during the call as well?

Thanks.
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    Folks, thanks for all your input. I had no idea this little utility would be so well-received.

I am comitted to making this the best damned Volume Button remapper out there, so keep up the excellent feedback, and I will keep hacking away at it.

I am away from my office at the moment, and working at a client site. Thus I have not been able to debug onto my actual device, which explains how 0.02b has a few bugs that I would prioritize as "stop-ship;" I was just eager to get it out.

I will keep track of and address all open concerns when I get back to my office later this week and can do real device debugging, so please hang in there and keep an eye out on this thread for 0.03b.

Take care,
    -Jeff Ishaq
    Looking forward to it!
    I recently installed VolumeRocker, then discovered VolKeys through this discussion. I haven't tried it out, but I'm assuming there's the same limitation. I'm posting here because I see the VolKeys author in on this thread and hoping he might be able to fix this in VolKeys.

I find that it (VolumeRocker, at least) scrolls well in certain applications. However, in other applications, it mimics the 5-way navigation key. For example, in WordToGo, once you open a document, pressing the volume keys causes the cursor to select various menu keys and to ignore the scrollbar on the right -- so you don't get to scroll through the document. Ditto w/ SheetToGo -- except there are scroll buttons (one set for vertical movement and one set for horizontal movement) instead of scroll bars -- I assume that this would make it more of a challenge. In InboxToGo, however, one you open a message, the scrolling works perfectly.

Any hopes for tweaking either VolKeys (or VolumeRocker) so that that the volume buttons will scroll through documents?

Thanks.
    Noticed that VolKeys doesn't survive a soft reset (goes from enabled to disabled, v. 0.02b.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast