1.    #1  
    Hi all,

I just checked my AT&T-branded Treo, and the info is as follows:

Firmware: 02.04
    Software: Treo600-1.07-AWS
    Hardware: B

Have any AT&T users upgraded their firmware to 2.08 or 2.09? I have a feeling the AWS in the software revision number is AT&T specific (yeah, AT&T Wireless Service... I'm a genius...) I'm not planning on switching carriers any time soon, as I believe I will have to upgrade the firmware in order to unlock the phone.

Any feedback would be appreciated!
    Originally posted by hoju
    Hi all,

I just checked my AT&T-branded Treo, and the info is as follows:

Firmware: 02.04
    Software: Treo600-1.07-AWS
    Hardware: B

Have any AT&T users upgraded their firmware to 2.08 or 2.09? I have a feeling the AWS in the software revision number is AT&T specific (yeah, AT&T Wireless Service... I'm a genius...) I'm not planning on switching carriers any time soon, as I believe I will have to upgrade the firmware in order to unlock the phone.

Any feedback would be appreciated!
    I have upgraded from the original ATT firmware to version 2.09. To be frank, you should do the upgrade only you experience sound quality problems with your existing unit. With the new firmware, the menu selection is quicker but the battery drains a little faster. I had no sound quality problems prior to upgrade so I haven't noticed a difference in that category. However, my unit is unlocked now. You don't have to upgrade your firmware to get the unit unlocked, however, the unlock patch will automatically upgrade your firmware to the latest version. Hope this helps.
  3.    #3  
    Awesome. Thanks for the info.

One more question for you: Are you an AT&T customer? In other words, did the unlocking/firmware update affect your AT&T service in any way?

Thanks again.
    Global Posts
    723 Global Posts
    Do MMode, which is just wap over GPRS, similar to the T-Mobile Tzones. I have switched (unlocked) handsets between the networks with no trouble, it just takes some reprogramming of mms and Blazer settings. I can't think of a good reason not to use the later firmware.
    Originally posted by hoju
    Awesome. Thanks for the info.

One more question for you: Are you an AT&T customer? In other words, did the unlocking/firmware update affect your AT&T service in any way?

Thanks again.
    The firmware update bears no ill effects on the service side. Everything is normal or enhanced.
    Global Posts
    459 Global Posts
    it would be great if you could provice a link to this upgrade with your post, or just attach it to your post so others can use it!!
    a dirty mind is a terrible thing to waste
    Global Posts
    459 Global Posts
    Originally posted by randyg
    and where is the link to this update??
    Take a look at the thread named patched.zip and you will find the update there. The update will also unlock your Treo as well. The patch is hosed by Vulcan.
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    would you mind telling me how to check the version of the firmware, and how to update it? as well, the link?
    thanks in advance for your efforts.
  10.    #10  
    You can check which version you have by going into the Phone app, and going to Phone Info in the Menu. That will tell you which version of the firmware and software you're running.

As to how to update it, I'll leave that for someone who's done it.

And yes, that's where I got the update as well (the "Link to free unlock patch" thread).
    Originally posted by jgallus
    would you mind telling me how to check the version of the firmware, and how to update it? as well, the link?
    thanks in advance for your efforts.
    At the dial pad screen, hit menu, options, phone info. The phone info displays the information you need.
    Global Posts
    459 Global Posts
    it worked!! if only i'd had this a month ago when i had to switch to AT&T from T-Mo!! AT&T has awful plans and is almost twice as much per month. But it's only for a year. I did not do a hard reset because i did not want to lose specific info, and it worked like a charm.
    Does this void my warranty? I have a terrible buzz noise that happens with some regularity that only the receiving end can hear- would this help?
  14.    #14  
    From what I've read, yes, your warranty will be voided! Tread with caution!
    Thanks for the caution info. I guess I will just return it.
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    do you just intall all 40 files? i don't see any instructions or readmes.

thanks in advance
    Originally posted by jgallus
    do you just intall all 40 files? i don't see any instructions or readmes.

thanks in advance
    1. Unzip all the files and copy them to the /PALM/LAUNCHER folder on your SD card.

2. Hard reset the Treo.

3. Navigate to the card using the standard application launcher and run FirmwareUpdater.prc.

4. Click OK, click the Update Now button (I may have forgotten one or two OK clicks here so don't hesitate to correct me here).

5. Sit back and relax, it's going to take a good 10 minutes.

6. The phone will automatically hard reset at the end of the process.

That's all, really. Note that I think it does do the entire 2.09 firmware upgrade, so all this should even work when you're on an older firmware version. I recommend you do the regular upgrade first though.