1.    #1  
    Seasons Greetings one and all

We have been getting reports from customers alerting us to the fact that the Treo 600 can inadvertently auto-answer phone calls when holstered in our Nutshell #203 belt case, even with the key-guard enabled.

Apparently we are not unique; this annoyance can also apply to cases from several manufacturers.

Customers report that holstering the Treo 600 with its screen toward the hip, rather than facing outwards, prevents this auto-answering happening.

As a rule of thumb, we do recommend that users holster their device with the screen inside to provide the best possible screen protection but obviously we are pleased to be able to report this addition "feature".

Nutshell Treo 600 case
    Ian @ Nutshell
    "When you least expect it...always expect the unexpected."
    Alas, this doesn't help with my Nutshell Case.

I bought the case about a month ago, and it's probably a pretty "rare" version, as it has no belt loop or clip of any kind, and no flap of any kind. And it's the "Alligator" version, which may have a different flexibility than the other versions.

Since there is no belt loop or clip, there is no way for me to tell which side is which, but one side does seem to have an internal insert or something that makes it a bit more rigid than the other side, so I can at least tell one side from the other.

When the T600 is ringing (I always have keyguard enabled) it doesn't matter which way it's facing in the case, it either answers in the case, or answers as soon as I touch the case/phone in an effort to take the phone out to answer the call.

Now don't get me wrong:

1) I really thing the problem is not with your case or anyone elses case. I think the problem is that the T600 phone application has a really bad flaw in its user interface, namely that it doesn't respect the keyguard setting when the phone is ringing. NO key should ignore the keyguard setting, (there are three or four that ignore it), but the space key is the worst possible key, as it's much longer than any other key, and it's located right on the curve of the phone at the bottom.

2) I really like your case, and your web site, and the way you do business. The single most expensive accessory I've gotten for the T600, including software, is your case, and I took a long hard look at all the case choices before deciding on yours. For my needs, the Nutshell was an easy choice.

3) I am expecting that there will either be an update to the T600 phone application, or a 3rd party solution, that will get rid of the bad design flaw allowing the space key to answer the phone when the keyguard is enabled. This will get rid of the problem.

I am glad to hear that others have found a solution to the problem, but I did want to mention that it's not a solution for me, and may not be a solution for others.

Bill S
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for the feedback.

You may be right in that some alternate leather (like Crocodile/Alligator) may be stiffer and more inflexible than our regular covers.

We'll take this on-board in future product designs, but unfortunately the #203 is a committed product, so it's not a simple task to make alterations once in production.

We add a layer of stiffening inside the back of each case that we mount the belt clip onto, which affords protection and is why we recommend that folk carry their device 'screen-inside'.

Hopefully someone who has influence in the Treo 600 design may be able to offer you guys a software patch to correct their button operation anomily.

Ian @ Nutshell
    "When you least expect it...always expect the unexpected."
    Wait, is this a new case? Did I order the wrong item?

I just ordered (two days ago, a 201 for my Treo 600.) I just received e-mail confirmation that my order had shipped. Is this a new version?

I don't recall seeing this on the site when I ordered.
    Mine auto-answers in every position except the one where it is not in the case.

Not to burst your bubble but I would hate for anyone to find out the hard way.

GM
    Originally posted by gerryoil
    Mine auto-answers in every position except the one where it is not in the case.

Not to burst your bubble but I would hate for anyone to find out the hard way.

GM
    Which version do you have?
    I must be one of the lucky ones. My Treo does NOT auto answer when it faces toward my hip while in my Nutshell. Good job Nutshell. A quality product that I am very happy with.
    I had a case made to my specs and I always put it in screen toward hip as the antenna cannot poke me in that position, so auto answer has never been a prob. In fact, I did not kow it was one until this thread. Take care, Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Thanks to Ian at Nushell who read my post in this thread and e-mailed me letting me know that I did in fact order the wrong case. They are shipping me out the correct case!

Thanks again Ian.
    Originally posted by lgreenberg

Which version do you have?
    One of the first with the double stitch on the sides. I know they made a newer version since then but the one I bought was suppossed to be for the T600 at the time.

GM
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    My nutshell case DOES NOT auto answer, but it does answer as soon as I try to pull it out -- preventing me from screening calls.
    I'm not sure if it's the spacebar being hit or what.

And I always "holster" it with the screen inward.
    --jaslo
    Originally posted by nutshell
    Thanks for the feedback.

<snip>

Hopefully someone who has influence in the Treo 600 design may be able to offer you guys a software patch to correct their button operation anomily.

I just figured it out, and made a patch, and now the keys don't do squat when the phone is ringing, and your case won't auto-answer the phone.

I'll be posting a message about this (not in this thread) shortly.

Bill S