1.    #1  
    Hi all, visited a Sprint store which actually had a Treo 600 live in stock and was doing little "races" with the web browser, and the Treo 300 was SMOKING the Treo 600?!?!?!?

Full bars signal on both.

Note that this was NOT a scientific test by any means. I just cleared the cache of both, and started hitting thge same web pages at the same time with both.

I think the Treo 600 no longer uses the transparent Proxy server from what I am understanding (at least from Sprint I think this is true, someone correct me if I'm wrong), so this means that when a Treo 600 gets a web page, it doesn't have the delay associated with a proxy server midstream, but also doesn't have the ADVANTAGE of having a proxy server reduce the size of the page way down either, right?

Maybe this was just coincidence, that my results aren't typical, but I'll be darned if I could EVER get that 600 to do any better than my 300. And, I visited tens of pages with them.

Additionally, although they would sometimes BOTH timeout on web pages (which is pathetic), when the Treo 600 would time out, it gave a lame error saying "the web page is too large to load" or some crap like that. Seemed to me that this was a "copout" error, as hitting reload a few times would indeed load the page. If it times out, say "timed out". Not "page too large to load".

Also, more evidence that the Treo 600 doesn't use a proxy server was that when blazer would show the bytes downloading for a page, the Treo 600 was having to pull down large amounts of bytes. I have to admit that I didn't watch the Treo 300 as much since I was playing with the T600, but it sure looked like the Treo 600 was having to get a LOT more data down per web page.

Does anyone here have any insight to the Proxy issue, and has anyone else raced these two phones side by side before? Are my results typical?

I'm still on the fence. So far I have to admit that I'm starting to get a bit disenchanted with the 600..

Thanks all..
    ----------------------------------------
    mk3cn4 uses a Treo 600 with ReqWireless Web Browser (others are useless IMO), Snappermail, Xiino, PalmVNC... and is a big infone fan. Cheaper and magnatudes better than Sprint's 411 ripoff, www.infone.com.
    TREO 300 uses a proxy that does all web accesses, reduces the data, then sends to the TREO 300.

TREO 600 goes direct.

No contest.
    All true. BUT my 600 looks WAAAAAAY cooler.
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
    Originally posted by mk3cn4
    <snip>
    Does anyone here have any insight to the Proxy issue
    You can turn on the proxy in Blazer on the T600, it's just off by default. If you have the desire, and another afternoon to kill go back to the store and try it with the T600 browser using a proxy.

The place you set the proxy address (and port) in Blazer is in Preferences>Advanced>Set Proxy.

Now that said, I don't know the proxy address that sprint uses. I can tell you the one that T-Mobile uses, but that won't help you testing a sprint phone. Maybe you can just look in the 300's settings, or maybe you know it already, or maybe someone can chime in.

Bill S
  5.    #5  
    Originally posted by SeldomVisitor
    TREO 300 uses a proxy that does all web accesses, reduces the data, then sends to the TREO 300.

TREO 600 goes direct.

No contest.
    No contest in which way? The 600 is better and it's no contest? Or the 300 is better in your opinion with the proxy? Not sure what you mean by "no contest".

Here's my opinion and concluson based on my playing around..

I think in the case of an obviously overloaded Sprint network, my tests hint that having a proxy is indeed beneficial, and I would argue that the 300 with the proxy performs better than the 600 without simply because the Treo 300's pages were SMALLER and got through more often and faster. The 600 kept doing those "page is too large to load" error (aka TIMEOUT error) or just took FOREVER to load, and you could just watch a large page churning and churning waiting for data on the 600, data that was reduced to a fraction of it's size for the Treo 300. On a fast network, bypassing a proxy would likely be faster. Maybe when Sprint gets their crap together and gets the network going faster again the 600 will beat the 300, until then I would suggest that you 600 users try using the proxy.

Note that the Treo 300 uses a proxy automatically with no settings in Blazer, the 600 has to have the proxy address inserted. There is a thread here that has the IP address, don't have it handy. Thanks for the tip about adding the proxy to the 600 whoever that was in this thread, that makes me feel that a 600 would be at least as fast as a 300 if I went that way....
    ----------------------------------------
    mk3cn4 uses a Treo 600 with ReqWireless Web Browser (others are useless IMO), Snappermail, Xiino, PalmVNC... and is a big infone fan. Cheaper and magnatudes better than Sprint's 411 ripoff, www.infone.com.
    The first post in this thread said "300 faster than 600".

I was addressing that.

The TREO 600 is not CPU-limited when it is displaying web pages, it is bandwidth-limited - you go to CNN.com you're gonna get about 50,000 bytes per page.

You do the same thing with a TREO 300 using the Blazer 1 proxy and it'll castrate that down to some dinky size, maybe with no images, certainly with no Java.

No contest - 300 wins hands-down.

Is that GOOD?

No, that just is the way it is.
    Tis True... Tis True....

I hotsynced by Treo300 while I waited for my replacement 600 that suffered the horrible "battery will not take a charge" death. Hotsync put Blazer 2.0 into my Treo300 and it smoked..... Speed Demon.... Balzer 2.0 is much must faster on the 300 than the 600.

If you still have your 300 and have the unlucky opportunity like me to still need it as a backup, try it and see what happens..... (beware... do not do this on purpose if your 600 is OK as there seems to be things and apps lost in the translation back to the 300 when you hotsync after using the 600).
    ETUTREO300
    Originally posted by tvBilly

You can turn on the proxy in Blazer on the T600, it's just off by default. If you have the desire, and another afternoon to kill go back to the store and try it with the T600 browser using a proxy.

The place you set the proxy address (and port) in Blazer is in Preferences>Advanced>Set Proxy.

Now that said, I don't know the proxy address that sprint uses. I can tell you the one that T-Mobile uses, but that won't help you testing a sprint phone. Maybe you can just look in the 300's settings, or maybe you know it already, or maybe someone can chime in.

Bill S
    can you post T-Mobile's proxy?
    I have webpro which uses a proxy, and Blazer 3.0 which doesn't. Some pages load much faster on Web pro and other pages load faster on blazer with no proxy. I guess that is why I have two browsers.
    Originally posted by nodeel

can you post T-Mobile's proxy?
    getmorespeed.t-mobile.com

Port: 8080

Note that you probably ALSO have to set the proxy to compress your pictures. It may default to not compressing until you tell it to. Navigate to the above URL directly and you should be able to set the parameters.

Bill S
    is there a proxy for the sprint version?