Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I thought it would be a good idea to post a link straight to the post where you can find the patched firmware that will unlock your Treo. Saves you from having to wade through hundreds of posts in an evergrowing thread. :-)

The post is here

A big thx again to Frenchfries and ifly2 who found the solution!

If you have any questions about the patch, please post in the other thread and not here because it will make it easier to keep track of questions & issues.
    Please note that posting actual files (maybe even instructions) quite likely is a violation of the Digital Copyright Millennium Act part (a)(1)(A) (about page 5):

== "...(1)(A) No person shall circumvent a technological
    == measure that effectively controls access to a work protected
    == under this title..."

-- http://www.copyright.gov/legislation/hr2281.pdf

Isn't that special?

Crap.

So...

Maybe just some discussion of how to go about doing this in intimate detail might be prudent...
    Even worse is that a service provider can lock a phone to their network and then ask you for 20 to unlock it (and then they go on to tell you that unlocking the phone will then cancel your contract and you will be liable to pay the full year's contract immediately!) The also add that it will invalidate all warranty, etc. then cut you off!
    Someone should investigate the legalities of that one! I had not even seen a contract, let alone read the T and Cs as I bought it using the telephone sales line...

AND THAT IS WHY ORANGE UK SUCKS!

I feel much better after that! especially as my phone is now unlocked and you guys did all the brain work x
    Actually the encryption doesn't protect a "work" as such.

Also I am happy to host the file on a non-US location if you like where we have no DMCA equivilant.
    This post should be made sticky, so people can find it quick. How long until some @sshole decides to start selling this patch and profitting from others hard work. Thanks again everyone.
    Originally posted by vulcan
    Actually the encryption doesn't protect a "work" as such.

Also I am happy to host the file on a non-US location if you like where we have no DMCA equivilant.
    Please don't feed the troll.

The site it's posted on is in France. Even if the patch did violate the DMCA, which it doesn't, it wouldn't matter.

Bill S
    You're stupid but that's okay.

The DCMA has long arms. The WTO, of which Good Old France has interest, supports it.

Is it troll-like to suggest that one's ISP may remove files quicker than one can blink when informed of a probable DCMA violation regardless where in the world it happens?

So be it.

BTW - TreoCentral is probably gonna get at least an email about this from palmOne - let's see what happens.

Otherwise, go **** yourself.

No kidding.

And Mol - Be Careful Out There.
    Diclaimer: IANAL!

I think Seldom is right, in this case. I haven't read the DCMA word for word, but I know DirecTV used some of its provisions to sue (in civil court) many of the people abusing their service through smart-card hacking.

PalmOne and the carriers could very likely argue successfully that they were irreparably harmed by DCMA violations that allowed users to jump ship on carriers that subsidized the purchase of one of these expensive phones.

You should all tread lightly, that is for sure. Consider this... even if you WIN a DCMA court battle, how much will it cost you to defend yourself?

Jeff
    I purchased my Treo from Handspring directly. It was not subsidized at all. I had a plan already with AT&T. If anything, I wasn't aware or warned that the phone was sim-locked.

The biggest problem is that this law is written in such vague language that it makes us think twice about every little thing we may do. Ughh.

I think this was an awesome effort by those involved, and I don't believe for one second that there is anything to fear.

Geez, people used to fear criminals, illness, disasters. Now look at us...
    Before idiots like TVBilly continue to mischaracterize from whence I am coming, please note that the ONLY thing I think will cause problems is the copying, modification, storing, and making available to the public copyrighted files that belong to palmOne.

As I noted in that post #2 of this thread - discussing in INTIMATE detail what needs to be done might be passable (though the damn DCMA does talk about reverse engineering, of which this very much is part).

Some Norwegian guy (I think he was Norwegian) recently went through legal hell because he published a story/article/post/something about how to bypass some DVD copyprotection. He eventually won, from what I understand, but who wants to go to court over such things?

Anyway, let's see what happens via-a-vis palmOne and Mol and TreoCentral - should be an interesting aside!

====

BTW - a corallary to all this is, of course, if you are going to unlock your locked TREO 600 do it REAL SOON before the **** hits the fan...
    The DMCA is a scary law that I greatly disagree with. Either way, in america discussing (ie linking to) a copyrighted work/or deengineered work can be considered illegal. (the worlds views on IP is seriously screwed up, another topic, another time.)

Distributing firmware is also illegal. If the zip file was hosted on treocentral servers, we would have to take it down immediately. But, it's not on our servers, and it's a really really useful tool for the community. I'm not sure how legally sound it is, but we will keep the link up until we get notice.

PalmOne has already notified us that reflashing your Treo WILL VOID your warrenty, so this may be how they are choosing to deal with this situation. It's probably the best, because there is a real need for unlocked devices, but (I believe) contract agreements with carriers prohibit them from selling it themselves.

In another interesting note... isn't putting the link just as text legal, when linking is not? Google defeats any DMCA notices by including the actual letter with EVERY "illegal" URL included with serach results where such things have happened. Try searching for xenu, and scroll to the bottom.
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
    > The [DCMA] is a scary law that I greatly disagree with...

Yup - Congess over the last few years has passed a bunch of scary laws (we won't get into the outrageous Homeland "Security" crap).

So...Vote.

> ...illegal...

Not criminal at all - civil restrictions (ya can get yer *** sued!)

> ...isn't putting the link just as text legal, when linking is not? ...

Not clear - I don't think it's been taken to court yet, but it might have with some publically published encryption stuff - some guy wrote an article containing source code for some encryption software that our Good Ol' Gummamint had classified as a weapon (!). He may have won a Free Speech argument - or maybe The Gummamint dropped the whole thing before it got to The Supremes (who undoubtedly would have kicked The Gummamint's ****).

In any case, I'm sure the French site Wannado will listen should palmOne screech.
    Unlocking YOUR phone cannot be a violation of the DMCA.
  14.    #14  
    I decided to remove the file from the server. I'm not worried about the actual unlock, but I am worried about supplying modified software that is copyrighted. I don't want to get arrested the next time I travel to the US

And no, I won't send the file to people by email, so please don't PM me for it.
    Mol,

I completely understand and respect your decision, but I am utterly disappointed as well. These laws are working better than I ever expected in that they are using the threat of litigation to prevent people from even thinking about doing something that may or may not be illegal.

As someone who works in the film industry, I support copyrights, but also fair use. But fear mongering? Nothing is worth that.

I just returned from Paris, and I used a plug adapter there to recharge my Treo. I wonder how long before that is construed as a violation of the DMCA...
    ------
    okay, sorry about the acronym... fixed now.
    Last edited by hoju; 01/19/2004 at 12:12 PM.
    There is enough information in the thread close to Mol's post explaining what you need to do to unlock the Treo without his patch.

A little reading and a little effort and you can still do the unlock.

Cheers
    Marc
  17.    #17  
    Originally posted by hoju
    Mol,

I completely understand and respect your decision, but I am utterly disappointed as well. These laws are working better than I ever expected in that they are using the threat of litigation to prevent people from even thinking about doing something that may or may not be illegal.

As someone who works in the film industry, I support copyrights, but also fair use. But fear mongering? Nothing is worth that.

I just returned from Paris, and I used a plug adapter there to recharge my Treo. I wonder how long before that is construed as a violation of the DCMA...
    I understand your disappointment, but hey, did I voted in the government that came up with these laws?
    Everyone's knowledge of the DMCA is clearly reflected in the fact that most people here can't even spell the actual ACRONYM right.

Few points, first, reverse engineering any code intended to encrypt or protect is against the DMCA. This means that the act of changing your phone or copying the file itself isn't the problem, it's the act of reverse engineering encryption or running an app that does so.

Therefore, someone's previous post is incorrect when they say it can't be illegal to hack your own phone. It indeed is against the DMCA, just as decrypting or deciphering DVD encryption of a DVD you own is against the DMCA.

Whether it's enforcable or not could be dependant on a Judge's interpretation of a concept called "The Fair Use Doctrine". This has been the saving grace for many issues such as copying music and movies that you own, and could apply here. Any manufacurer of any code can place anything they wish in a EULA, whether or not it's enforceable is another story. Judges have been known to rule that copying music that you own is NOT illegal, as this is considered a reasonable "Fair use" of the work in question. This might apply to the Treo phone as well. Your mileage may vary.

Note that this is all my opinion, but I have been to several DMCA seminars and this is how I've been led to interpret it. It has nothing to do with unlocking your phone. It has everything to do with the act of attempting to bypass encryption that happens to be meant to prevent you from unlocking your phone.
    ----------------------------------------
    mk3cn4 uses a Treo 600 with ReqWireless Web Browser (others are useless IMO), Snappermail, Xiino, PalmVNC... and is a big infone fan. Cheaper and magnatudes better than Sprint's 411 ripoff, www.infone.com.
    Whether it's enforcable or not could be dependant on a Judge's interpretation of a concept called "The Fair Use Doctrine". This has been the saving grace for many issues such as copying music and movies that you own, and could apply here.
    I am unaware of any existing case law in which "Fair Use" was the "saving grace" in a DMCA (got it right this time!) case. "Fair Use" is a reasonable defense, I'm just not aware of any case yet where it has actually worked.

Were you speaking out of knowledge of specific examples or more in generalities? Just curious...

Jeff
    > Everyone's knowledge of the DMCA is clearly reflected in the
    > fact that most people here can't even spell the actual ACRONYM
    > right...

Yeah, ain't that the truth!

And I even posted a link to the Act...and STILL didn't get it right...sheesh.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast