1.    #1  
    Hi All,

Based on the info available in another forum on the net, I was able to get Versamail 2.6 installed on my Treo 600. Of course, this was done purely in the interests of finding the most suitable IMAP client for my Treo, and IMHO this is certainly it (at least till IMAP Snapper actually arrives). I wish that Palm would hurry up and release it to the world.

Anyway, one problem I do have is that the 5 way nav won't function properly. I know that the website says that it will only work with the T|E / T|T3, but the Five-way Navigation section of the Palm VersaMail 2.6 Advanced Features Guide states that the "Five-way navigation works only on Palm handhelds that have a five-way navigator" and goes on to talk about functionality that does not occur on my device.

Other sections of the website also promote the use of the 5-way navigator for one-handed use.

The main problem I am having is that the D-pad does not work at all in the main view, and in the other screens, it is sometimes a bit 'bizarre' with 'hidden' areas of non-functional focus appearing on the screen.

I was just wondering if anyone else has tried this out with the same results, or perhaps could point me in the right direction.

PS: Palm, if you're listening this is how desperate we are. Please release the thing with full Dpad support.
    Still thinking of what to put here..
    i think the Palm 5ways seen in Tungstens use a different API than the Treo 5ways unfortunately. you can't select apps on tungstens like you can by pressing the 5way with the treo for example. anyone care to confirm this?
  3.    #3  
    Hi illdefined,

Thanks for responding.

I'm kinda surprised to learn that the APIs are different, would have thought that they would be the same.

I thought it might be a file I'd missed out, or some setting somewhere...

We live in hope I guess. Hopefully someone can shed more light on this one. Meanwhile, I'll try it on my old T|T and see what happens.
    no problem.

let me know what happens on your tungsten.
  5.    #5  
    Looks like you're right about the darned API. Tried it on my Tungsten last night, and it works as advertised. I also noticed that the 5 way works a bit differently than on my Treo - further proof I guess that the APIs, or they implementation is quite different for the 2 devices.

It's a real pity, as I quite like Versamail. Looks like it will be a 2 horse race between Palm and Snapper to see who can come up with a suitable IMAP capable mail client for the Treo. Something tells me though that it isn't exactly a priority for these guys. For some reason Treos are very much niche products it seems..
    Global Posts
    723 Global Posts
    I use Versamail 2.61 on my Treo 600. It doesn't work well with the pad, but today I made a huge breakthough with it... Imap over ssl to Exchange 2003! This means system admins can open port 993 instead of 143 and that transmissions between the Palm and an Exchange server are nicely encrypted! The catch? It works great on the Treo, not at all on a Kyocera 7135, which doesn't have ssl libraries.
  7.    #7  
    z3bum,

I agree that it does work on the treo, and quite well at that, especially for IMAP. But as you say, Dpad support is not quite there due to the difference in 5 way nav APIs, so the stylus (or your finger) are required.

After using the Treo for a few months, I have to keep remembering to drag the stylus out when trying to use my old T|T, that's how dependent, and how much I like the Treo interface.

Let's hope for more & better IMAP clients for the Treo in the future.
    Has anyone tried this program to see if this allows the 5-way nav to work with Versamail?

http://www.freewarepalm.com/utilitie...merocker.shtml
    Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    Originally posted by MobileGuy
    Has anyone tried this program to see if this allows the 5-way nav to work with Versamail?

I would love to - unfortunately, I don't have VersaMail 2.6, I own VersaMail 2.5, and the navigation emulation doesn't do anything for it of course <sigh>.

Danita
    I'm interested in trying IMAP on the treo - never used it before. Can you tell me where to get a copy of Versamail 2.61 that I can try. I will gladly purchase a copy when the Treo is supported. Any help would be appreciated.

TIA,
    Don
    Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    As far as I know, you can only purchase 2.5 - 2.6 comes with some of the Tungsten models, and I know of no means to obtain it from PalmOne without a Tungsten <sigh>.

Danita
  12.    #12  
    Guys,

If you wind your way through this, you should be able to find the above.

http://www.cliesource.com/forums/sho...threadid=30230

BTW, forget about the other bits, as they will work but totally screw up the phone functionality of the Treo. We'll just have to wait on that one I guess.
    Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    Originally posted by MobileGuy

Well, I've tried, and I can say that it improves the navigation abilities, but only slightly.

You can press the center button when you are in the message list and that highlights the first message. Pressing the center button again will open the message. Using the right and left buttons while reading will move you to the next/previous message. Pressing the center button while reading a message returns you out to the message list.

Unfortunately, when a message is highlighted, clicking the right button will not select the message (checkbox). It actually "does" check the box, but then the "second" click from the VolumeRocker unchecks it immediately again. I can see no way to navigate down to the bottom action buttons in any screen.

Danita
    I got 2.6 working. I also signed up for an account with Fusemail. The problem is that I can't seem to get Versamail to sync the sub-folders I created in fusemail. Only the Inbox syncs. Is that the way it's supposed to work? I also tried having versamail create a folder (with a different name) on the server and I get an error. Any suggestions?

Don
    You might try Chatter (and sign up for the imap discussion group at http://lists.imchatter.com, because most of the newer features aren't public yet).

Chatter provides true pushed email. With it, you can sync up to 8 folders (on the same or different accounts/hosts). You can also sync sent mail with a sent mail folder on the server. What's more, it works in the background and when the phone is asleep, and all network operations are asynchronous (i.e. you can be doing other things on the Treo while mail is sent and/or delivered) There are lots of alerting options and other customizations.

There is also a new email interface option which makes Chatter look more like a traditional mail client (a number of Chatter users don't ever use the IM features).

My goal is to have a public version of the full IMAP client within a month (there are still new features being added)

Marc