Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi,

Recently saw on BBC website the aura wireless headset, which is non-bluetooth. It has small base unit which fits to bottom of your treo 600 (same size jack). It uses a small magnetic field to propogate the signal to the headset.

The device is new and in the states, I am in uk, ordered it, it arrived have been using and works really well.

I would like to know if anyone else has had a go, its available from Fonegear.com at $74 +p&p. Dirt cheap for us brits given the cool exchange rate. It arrived within 4 days via UPS.

I'm impressed, but do not yet know if I'm frying my brain or not!!! (

My Treo still on probation....

Adzo
    Haven't used that one in particular but have used the Jabra Freespeak for Non Bluetooth phones. I'm guessing this is something similar.

www.jabra.com
    Originally posted by Adzo J
    Hi,

Recently saw on BBC website the aura wireless headset, which is non-bluetooth. It has small base unit which fits to bottom of your treo 600 (same size jack). It uses a small magnetic field to propogate the signal to the headset.

Adzo
    This got me interested, but a quick look at the site and it suggests that unit is rather cumbersome.

The lack of real BT is the one thing that is making me think about selling my Treo.

Cheers
    Marc
    I just can't see bluetooth being that important of a feature. I mean to make me give up the phone. Besides using a bluetooth headset, what else is so vital/great about having bluetooth?

I used a bluetooth headset with my SE p800 and most of the time found the reception sub-par.
    Well BT or Wifi are needs for me.

I wanted the Treo to replace my PDA and a big need for me of my PDA is to be able to use my internet connection at home (which is also the office).

Wifi is better, but failing that BT can be used to share my PCs Internet connection so I can browse the web or read email anywhere in the house without having to connect via GPRS.

I have done that with the SE P900 using BT and do it all the time very well with WiFi and my PDA.

As it stands I need to keep the Treo and a PDA which is just overkill.

Cheers
    Marc
    As a follow up:

I can use the P900 as I want as a PDA and a phone, however I like the keyboard idea and the build of the P900 makes me scared to carry it in my pocket.

So that is going too!

P900 - Good phone PDA combination, great screen, good size, bluetooth. But poor build and no keyboard.

Treo 600 - Good phone PDA combination, great build, keyboard. But no bluetooth and a poor screen (after you've played with a P900 or a recent Tungsten).

I need them merging together!

Cheers
    Marc
  7.    #7  
    I also really would like Bluetooth, however in the UK, we must not hold phone and drive and I'm on the road a fair bit so was looking for an option, this ones seems good.

Can't get a hold of the Jabra one, and it seems sold out for the reason above in the UK....

However there is the bluetooth dongles out there and I will be dipping into this also, again, its another add on to the phone. Would have been good to already have it. Also from another discussion forum, someone did say that this might be an issue for Palm as they have other products which can bluetooth, so adding it for the treo might be commercial suicide for other products!!

will keep u posted.
    You could order the Jabra from here:

http://www.expansys.com/product.asp?code=BT200-NB

They are in the U.K.
  9.    #9  
    Thanks Igreenberg, but it has 14 day order plus it 88 pounds and I got the fonegear one for around 45 pounds.

I'll see what the dongle situation is then try, as that comes with software so that I can perform other bluetooth network activities...

Thanks anyway

Cheers

Adzo J
    Hi Everyone. First, thank you for your interest in foneGEAR. With regard to Adzo J's inquiry, the Cord Free headset does not fry brains. Unlike RF technologies, our magnetic induction based-devices transmit extremely low power (about 100 nanowatts). In addition, the use of a low frequency band (about 10-15 MHz) eliminates RF absorption by biological tissue, because Cord Free is a non-RF device. The U.S. currently has the lowest limit (1.6W/Kg) for what is known as specific absorption rate (SAR). To understand how low the Cord Free system power level compares to this limit, consider that if all the emitted power were concentrated into 1 square mm, the measured SAR would be 16,000 times less than the U.S. limit.

In many ways, the Cord Free operates in a superior manner compared to Bluetooth products. In contrast to the Bluetooth products available for non BT-enabled phones/PDAs, our headset range is 1.5 meters, and a single AA battery provides 25 hours of talk time (about a month for many people). Stand-by time is up to three months. Because the Cord Free is a magnetic induction device rather than RF, there are no interference issues with Bluetooth, WiFi, ham radio or the microwave oven because it operates on a completely different part of the spectrum.

The foneGEAR Cord Free Headset is compatible with all wireless phones, all cordless phones with input jacks, PDA phones, laptops and tablet-PCs. It is a truly universal product. Please check us out online and with any questions or comments at 877-FONEGEAR.
    Jonathan Stein

Marketing Manager
    foneGEAR
    877-FONEGEAR
    www.fonegear.com
  11.    #11  
    Jon,

Hey thanks for posting a reply, it is comforting to know vendors and creators read these discussion threads.

Let me post an update.

IT IS GREAT! I did have once a headache and it is this what prompted me to state my concerns, however in 2.5 weeks worth of usage I have had no problems. It works fine, I have not once lost a connection or signal.

Only issues people have stated is that they hear my voice a little low, but that is not too bad a concern.

It is mostly used in my car, and I have had no problems other than finding an appropriate place to attach the base unit!

Given the price, it is a very competitive product against Bluetooth and justifies further interest from T600 users.

I rate it very highly and recomend it to the forum!

Well done Aura (MIT guys, you da bomb!)

Kind Regards

Adzo J
    Is there some place we can view a picture of the base?
    Go on the web site www.fonegear.com and click to buy the item there you havec a pic or on the site ook at the video

Marc-Andre
    Thanks everyone for the feedback. I have attached a picture of the headset and base, which shows how it connects to a phone or other hardware. I am very glad to hear about the good experience with the headset. If people are telling you that the volume on their end seems a little low, there is a section in the Instruction Manual titled "Adjusting Headset Microphone Volume" that explains how to get more output from the mic (let me know if you would like another copy, I can email it). We will actually be able to help with where to put the base in the car, as foneGEAR will soon have a complete line of accessories to go along with the headset, so look for new clips and connectors soon. Regards, Jon
    Jonathan Stein

Marketing Manager
    foneGEAR
    877-FONEGEAR
    www.fonegear.com
    Sorry, pic did not attach on last post.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jonathan Stein

Marketing Manager
    foneGEAR
    877-FONEGEAR
    www.fonegear.com
    Nice piece of kit, and I got excited about buying one until I saw the postal charge to the UK...
    Where do you get your costs from? $45+ Do you not think that is a bit excessive. I cannot imagine it weighs one lb...
    Sorry, but not a lot of sale potential there, more than half the cost of the unit again on postage, oops!
    Currently we are unable to lower the cost to ship to the UK, because our own shipping costs are high to Europe. foneGEAR does not profit on the shipping; rather the main problem is that there really are no inexpensive options for sending packages over to Europe.

We do recognize the opportunity and are taking steps to correct the issue. Even with the shipping costs, the Cord Free is less expensive than many of its competitors, although that is still a pretty frustrating answer if you live in the UK. Sorry for the inconvenience, and as soon as we are able to make the shipping less expensive, we will.
    Jonathan Stein

Marketing Manager
    foneGEAR
    877-FONEGEAR
    www.fonegear.com
    Originally posted by foneGEARguy
    Currently we are unable to lower the cost to ship to the UK, because our own shipping costs are high to Europe. foneGEAR does not profit on the shipping; rather the main problem is that there really are no inexpensive options for sending packages over to Europe.

We do recognize the opportunity and are taking steps to correct the issue. Even with the shipping costs, the Cord Free is less expensive than many of its competitors, although that is still a pretty frustrating answer if you live in the UK. Sorry for the inconvenience, and as soon as we are able to make the shipping less expensive, we will.
    Odd. I'm in France and I order gear regularly in the US, and if the supplier has an International Shipping option I often use it. Lately I've bought egrips, a retractable USB charging synch cable, a KidzMouse (not for the Treo, he he), a USB 2 PC card hub, and other stuff. Shipping has never cost me more than 5 to 10 dollars.
    I have to say that you truely are talking through your hat Jon... I could direct you to thousands of other transatlantic companies who use UPS to ship goods that are bulkier, heavier and more expensive to insure who do not charge more than $10... so IMHO you could try harder if you want to shift the goods off your shelves... but not my loss mate!
    Mol, I guess my other option would be to move to Paris, now there is a nice thought! Goodbye Scotland, hello Marais! Whoo hoo!!!
    Originally posted by foneGEARguy
    Thanks everyone for the feedback.
    Jon,

Why not think about doing what other suppliers and merchants of cell gear that target forums like this and give us as a group a discount? Like have a coupon for Treo600 users or treocentral forum users? You'd sell a lot more units I bet.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast