Page 1 of 13 12345611 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    As mentioned in other threads, I have experienced both a battery drain/recharge problem and a "network search" / connectivity problem while trying to connect to Vision or place calls. After looking through a few threads, I am starting to get alarmed at the scope and reach of people who are experiencing this problem.

As examples, I have posted the thread URL's below, but there are many more, and possibly others who have not yet identified or isolated this problem.

How many of us are there out there...from the looks of this, there may be hundreds...!@@@@@!!!!

Is anyone else getting as alarmed as me? Is anyone even aware of the scope of this? This almost seems like recall material???!!!

It seems to have happened to Sprint 600's that have been around for about three months...as if that is all the power/charge cycles that the unit can handle and then...POOOF.

Comments?

http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...-t45975/s.html

http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...-t46406/s.html

http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...-t46370/s.html

http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...rk+search.html

> ...This almost seems like recall material???!!!...

If so that could be one reason Sprint once again says on their web site the TREO 600 is out of stock.

Since there was at least one post (I think I remember many but don't hold me to it) that Cingular recalled their TREO 600s for SOME reason it might be useful for Cingular TREO 600 owners to start contributing to this thread.

====

Of course, selling out could be why, too.

But that's a different thread.
    Last edited by SeldomVisitor; 01/18/2004 at 05:34 AM.
    I have just recently started to experience this problem. Very frustrating. anyone else notice that when the battery has drained below 25 percent and the dreaded network search problem begins to occur, that your stylus has lost its configuration settings and needs to be recentered?
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    Sprint just replaced my Treo 600 because the Network Search problem had reached the point that I could not answer/make about 75% of the calls. I guess because they were out of stock, all they could send was a refurb. But at least I am operational again.

I took the old unit to a Sprint store and the technician said it failed the tests. However, he said it was capable of making calls. Of course, it would behave at the moment when the repairman was examining it.

The refurb is Hardware Level C. I'm hoping that will help prevent it from happening on the new unit.
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    When I had my phone tested for the "Network Search" problem, the technician reported that it failed the "HP" test.

Anyone know what that is?

Also, I have sent an email asking Sprint what they are doing about this problem and whether it is normal policy to replace a phone under warranty with a refurb.
    I just got my replacement yesterday after over a month of this problem. I got the t600 the week it came out..... had to go to store, which is a pain...CS would not take care of it and sent me to a store....which took me a month to find the time to go to.
    Dear Philo as of yet, I have not had this problem, so far in central florida or in Vegas area. However, I am keeping an eye out for the problem as we all should since you were kind enough to pass on the info.

Take care, Jay
    PS I dig your hair in your pic. My grandfather was an electrian, he would make what he had in hair, look like yours when he taught us not to play with outlets when we were very little kids. Perhaps your hair is standing on end, b/c the power drain from your battery went to your head, (or heair), LOL. All kidding aside, thanks for info, I am truly keeping an eye open to see if I have the same problem down the road, prob w/ the phone not hair and crosseyed!).
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    Well,

I just got a new "Rev C"-- nonrefurbished model. We'll see how that goes. As others have noted, the center button seems a "half millimeter" taller, and it actually sort of clicks when I press it, unlike my original "Rev A".

Hopefully, this new rev will make the difference and I won't have to do this again in 3 months...or is it good for us all to suffer a little PAIN to get a new model every quarter?

Jay, I know you and I got our Treo's within days of each other, so I would keep an eye out for the problem...you still have Rev A from October? As for my avatar, that's my devil picture when I got a little crazy with the mousse and built some horns on my head! Glad you like it....

Jhasty, I encountered your situation once when I had to reprogram the screen when the battery problem somehow lost the stylus configuration.

Phil
    i will thanks for the tip. Also thanks to everyone here, I have learned so much take care, jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    I have hardware version C on my treo600 that i bought on 10/10/03. I've encountered the network search + battery X problem starting this month. its a big pain, because it still passes all sprint diagnostics thus far and it can't be replaced until it fails. Things will have to get worse before they get better.
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    Sbono, can you reproduce the problem reliably? What if you run the battery down very far-- I noticed that the network search problem gets worse as the battery wears down.

My T600 gradually degraded to where the unit would miss 8/10 calls, couldn't connect to Vision, and would flash the "Recharge X" back and forth from red to green even though it was not fully charged.

I'd really love to know what makes the diagnostics pass or fail...this has to be battery-related, but I'm still wondering why that impacts the radio?

Hmmmph. Why do I obsess on this device so much?

Oh yeah...cuz my life's in there! DOH!
    computers can't live with them can't live without them! take care, Jay
    Phildro,

just got a new "Rev C"-- nonrefurbished model.
    How did you get a nonrefurbished model?

I also received my Treo in early October. It is hardware revision A,
    Software Rev: Treo600-1.0-SPR.\

Network Search problem seems to be getting worse!
    Problems started for me late last week and it is rapidly getting worse. Fast drain and frequent network search. This is a drag and just when I am getting ready to go out of town for a week.

I called Sprint this morning and they are sending out a replacement - 3 to 5 days supposedly. She didn't ask any questions or do any testing.

I got my 600 back in October as an upgrade for a 300. Its a hardware level C.
    So, you can keep your existing 600 until the replacement arrives?

I am curious as I will be traveling quite frequently as well, and do not want to go without my 600 while waiting for a replacement.
    So, you can keep your existing 600 until the replacement arrives?
    I was told that I would get a return kit with the replacement phone. So at least in my experience you can keep the original until the replacement arrives - YMMV.
    I have a Rev B Phone which I received the first week the Sprint Treo 600 was available. My problems began last week, starting with a near constant Network Search/Dropping Calls/Unable to Make Calls problem. I have also noticed that the Battery is draining at a much greater rate than previously. This has become exceedingly frustrating, as I would say it happens at a 70-80% rate.

I will be calling Sprint tomorrow and requesting a replacement phone.

Having been a Treo user since the 180, and suffering through the teething pains of that and the 270, I am very disappointed that HS would release a new device with problems of this magnitude. Totally unacceptable.
    Same EXACT problems here and finally glad that it wasn't just me. I have some more symptoms for those who are seeing this. First like many of you, I bought the Treo600 when they first came out <Early Oct> and it was a Revision B. It's been very great and dependable except for the last few weeks when all of the sudden -- the Network Searching and the 'pause of death'.

Here are the exact same symptoms:

When Calling/Dialing:

First you will see the familiar "Dialing...", get a sudden pause -- a freeze -- followed by a beep, and then "Network Searching..." then boom.. back to the phone app <favorites>.

During this time, you might see "rint" or Sprint withOUT the "S" and then "network searching"... I honestly thought it was the towers but i had 4 BARS in some cases.

Here is the wierd part.. it's random! Usually happens during the day-time. As for battery, yeah, I did notice the drop but not as drastic as you think.

OK the real annoyance is the pause of death.. nothing works while it "network search" so you are stuck. Then all of the sudden --power off, restart -- And yes, this is something that you can't control.

On Answering Calls, Calling:

When it does dial, you begin talking and then .. silence.. as your call is dropped. Then beep, 'network search' back to phone app. Try to redial and it says, OUTSIDE WIRELESS, DO YOU WANT DIAL?...

When someone calls you, you can hear it ring-and the answer comes up but as soon as you press it..network searching.. then they go into voicemail. About one ring, you try to answer but it pauses..

Some ironic things:

Phone will 'suddently' reset just sitting there.

When charging, overnight, it sometimes fails to fully charge.

PCS Vision actually works, which is wierd. Web browsing, however does pause and even resets.

So what now

I took it to a Sprint Store earlier last week (south dallas) who I doubt if they tested it because it passed the HP. As the symptoms worsen, I then called PalmOne who transfered my to Sprint PCS Tech and over the phone tried a few tips (such as reseting, waiting 3 mins before turning on wireless, calling the phone etc) before deciding it was probably defected. They said that in order to get a replacement that I needed to go have it checked at the Sprint Store. Why? I figured that they wanted to know 1) if it had physical damage <it didnt> and 2) have them run the 'HP' test. In this case the HP test failed.

The Sprint Store people said that all over the country, the Treo 600 is pretty much out of stock. So they would send a replacement via UPS and gave me a UPS envelope to return the 'defective;' Treo 600. Probably a 3-4 day wait. So you keep your old Treo 600 until you get the replacement. However if you fail to return your old Treo 600, you will get charged for it. I don't have Sprint Equip Replace but the Treo 600 does have a 1 yr warrantee.

The funny part is that once in a while, the Treo 600 works. I still love the phone and figured -like others- that those first Sprint 600 models were probably rushed too early. The wierd question - again like others- is why all of the sudden after 3 months it shows these symptoms. Is this why everyone is out of stock?

In a nutshell, if you see repeated "Network Search..." and it keeps getting worse until you can't make any calls then it might time to call Sprint PCS.

One more thing: For MAC OS X users, refuse the temptation to change the default icon on your SD card. I did and it was causing all kinds of wierd problems <non-radio related> until I re-formatted the SD card <using the Treo> and problems went away.
    Follow-up to my post yesterday.

I was surprised to recieve a brand new replacement 600 today! It was shipped by UPS Next Day Air. Within an hour I had it provisioned and all apps and data synced. So it was total of less than 24 hours from the time I reported the problem to the time that I was up and running with a new phone.

This is my first experience with Sprint service and I have to admit that I was really shocked by how well this was handled.

That said, I hope that Handspring has fixed the original problem so I don't have to go through this again.
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    Wait another 3 months and we'll see...others with Rev C have experienced this issue.
Page 1 of 13 12345611 ... LastLast