Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 LastLast
    Hello - long time listener, first time caller.

please add my name to the listing of Network Search issues with my Treo 600. I had no idea what was happening to my baby, but I was getting mad and upset with every moment it didn’t work. I didn’t pay $450 for a lemon. At I didn’t know what was happing and Sprint Customer Support *2 told me that I needed a PRL so I got one and I thought I was back in the saddle…but no that was not it. A bit of research on these forums helped me see the light. I has been smitten with the dreaded network search error in the worst way. While I was traveling out of the office too…No battery charger to be found and no phone calls either.

The forums here really helped me gear up with loads of ammo like ESN ranges for bad phones and other info. I had the network search disease and I needed Sprint to replace my phone…only one thing, I bought mine off eBay and I had no clue if I was due a replacement of not. The helpful guy at Sprint Customer Support told me to take it into the store to be tested. I knew that I would have a hard sell, but no idea how hard it would be. I got to the store with all my information I had obtained from the web including printouts of the PalmOne web page documenting the network search issue.

Fresh from my business trip and loaded for bear, I went into the Sprint store to get my new unit. I was helped by a gentleman; let’s say his name was Robert. I told him my light, filled with stats and info and he looked up my account. I mad one potentially large mistake when I got my phone originally activated. I was asked where I purchased the phone and I said eBay…big mistake. I needed to keep my mouth shut because the operator who activated my phone, logged into my account that the Treo was from eBay and that it was not covered under warrantee…whatever. So back to Robert—He starts to give me this song and dance how it was not covered under warrantee and that there was nothing he could do. I told him that I thought it was weak that he was hiding behind a warrantee and that this phone problem is a chronic PalmOne issue and this phone needs to be replaced. He told me that I would need to see a manager about this and that one was not in at this time. I kindly asked for the proper names of his 2 managers and I was off…on a mission to gather more info and to study the PalmOne warrantee to see if it is indeed void if the phone is transferred.

The next day I called Roberts manager and told him my case. He started to hide behind the eBay warrantee thing. He knew exactly what the issues were. He knew that there is a bigger issue then I even know with this phone. He knew that when I started reading off the ESN #’s of the problem phones that I knew what I was talking about. He knew I was educated and that I wasn’t going to walk away empty handed. He told me that they didn’t have any Treo 600’s in stock and that was fine by me. I just wanted a working phone. I wanted Sprint to do the right thing and replace the bad phone they knew was a problem…no more, no less. He asked me if I was a business account holder. I said no, but that I was on my works business account…even though I pay for my own bill. He told me that this gave me tons more leverage and that he would speak to my business account rep to get me a new phone. He said he would call me back in a few hours to verify, Sure enough, in 3 hours, my work phone number was ringing and it was the Sprint Manager telling me that a new phone will be expressed to my billing address, Sure enough, first thing Tuesday morning, the doorbell rang and there was the UPS man with my new baby. Postage paid return mailer and all…This phone was brand spankin new and ready to be charged and used. I can’t wait to take the phone back into Robert at the Sprint store for him to activate. It feels like a huge victory for me..but Sprint did the right thing!
    Just wanted to add my experience to the rest...

I've been having the Network Search problems increasingly for the past couple of weeks. Only yesterday did I find this thread and realize I was not alone (by a long shot). I originally purchased my Treo from Handspring.

I called Sprint and was told to take the phone into a service center to be tested. I did this today. 23rd Street & 5th Ave in Manhattan. First question I asked the tech was, "Are you familiar with the Network Search problems with some Treo 600s?" He was very familiar with it. His name is Brandon.

He immediately said that they would replace the phone with a refurb. It would take a few days to order, and I could pick it up at the store at which time I'd give them my defective phone. They never even ran the HP test or anything.

It get's better. I told them I was leaving town tomorrow and asked if they could find a Treo in stock at another store in Manhattan that I could go and pick up.

After some phone calls, they located a stock of Treos at the Sprint store at 42 Broadway. The manager, James Owen, called down there and set it up with the other manager, Warren Cox. By the time I got there they had a BRAND NEW phone ready for me. No questions asked. No testing. Nothing. I think the guy's name who set up the new phone is Armondo.

The new phone is Hardware Rev. C and running 1.10. The new ESN is well out of the problem range.

I've certainly had my battles with Sprint over the years, but they completely owned up to this problem and made it right immediately. I hope others can have similar success.

Chris Flockton.
    Last edited by flockton; 07/08/2004 at 04:11 PM.
    Just posted in a separate thread. I'm on my third Treo now. No sign of problem in the first few hours, but unfortunately my refurb serial number falls right in the middle of the "bad batch"...
    I'll just add I'm having same problem now, it is somewhat random, but I have detected this much:
    - tends to happen when battery is 70% or lower, but not always - there is still randomness to it.
    - plugging unit into car or wall charger will stop the problem always.
    - once it starts happening, there is no consistent way to stop it other than plugging into charger. I've tried many times the turn off wireless for 3 min or more, soft reset, turn wireless back on. Usually you just have to wait an hour or more and it just starts working again.

Anyway, now that I see it is widespread, I'm calling Sprint for replacement.
    I don't know if this jives with anyone else's experience, but my Network Search problems evaporated the day my refurb was ordered. I waited until I couldn't place or receive calls at all, and then I brought it in to the Tysons Corner Sprint store. They tested it and wrote on the paper that it failed the "agilent" test...whatever. The refurb was mailed to me. During the following two days, my original phone WORKED FLAWLESSLY. My suspicion is that they recalled these devices in this unusual way so that they would not have to deal with the PRPRPR $of$ $some$ $formal$ $recall$. $I$ $almost$ $didn$'$t$ $want$ $to$ $return$ $my$ $phone$, $it$ $was$ $working$ $so$ $nicely$!

My phone was delivered in December, and started failling in July. All the typical problems (except I never saw the "X" on the battery).
    jello
    And one more thing...does anyone know what in particular was actually "bad" in the "bad batch" of T600s?
    jello
    Hey gang... I just bought a new Treo 600 last week and have been doing some research to decide if it's worth keeping. After reading this thread, I am certainly skeptical and a bit nervous.

I did purchase the Best Buy warranty, figuring that if it craps out a few months from now I can get a "free" upgrade to the Treo 610 (or whatever they end up calling it).

My ESN falls just outside of the "bad" range someone posted... but not by much. The range listed was 09600716001 to 09600864216. Mine is 09600866535. SHOULD I BE WORRIED?

I am wondering if anyone that has had a "problem" Treo 600 had an ESN that WASN'T in that range?

I have one week left to evaluate the unit where I can return it with no hassles.
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    I am on my third 600. I walked into Sprint with the 600 in my hand and the sales rep walked up to me and said he would replace it. I didn't even get the words out of my mouth. I live in Houston. The rep told me that he hopes this one works. Seems they are just going through them. He also said he heard that Sprint may replace all the 600s with a new model soon.
    I'm awaiting Treo 600 number 9 in five months! This last one has network search error & speakerphone muffle sound. I was told by a rep today at the Sprint store on La Cienega that the new "batch" was released & thenetwork search crap is fixed! But there were none in stock so I have to wait for them to send a replacement. It's no telling whether I'll get a new batch one or just a plain old refurb (all 8 refurbs I've owned had same network search problem-that was not fixed when they were refurbed). If you have to return the phone, INSIST on one from the new batch... I'll keep you posted.
    Quote Originally Posted by bitstream
    Hey gang... I just bought a new Treo 600 last week and have been doing some research to decide if it's worth keeping. After reading this thread, I am certainly skeptical and a bit nervous.

I did purchase the Best Buy warranty, figuring that if it craps out a few months from now I can get a "free" upgrade to the Treo 610 (or whatever they end up calling it).

My ESN falls just outside of the "bad" range someone posted... but not by much. The range listed was 09600716001 to 09600864216. Mine is 09600866535. SHOULD I BE WORRIED?

I am wondering if anyone that has had a "problem" Treo 600 had an ESN that WASN'T in that range?

I have one week left to evaluate the unit where I can return it with no hassles.
    For what it's worth, my treo is well inside this range of ESN's and I've had very little problems out of mine. Frequent resets recently, but I'm pretty sure that's because I have like 30 applications laoded. 10 of which I downloaded recently to test.

Other than that, I did have a fast drain on the battery twice a fw months back, but I haven't had a problem since then. Good luck.

--TechDude
    My Treo started acting up a few weeks ago. Very infrequently until about four days ago. For the past four days it has dropped 99% of outgoing calls, and wouldn't let me answer any calls at all. Data also would connect and then switch to cancelling. ESN was right smack in the middle of the "bad" range. Took it to Sprint store, they said they'd test it, come back in an hour. Wasted an hour in best buy, then went back....brand new Treo ready and waiting, already provisioned. Nice.
    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    - Albert Einstein
    I had the same network search issues and battery problems as all of you and after sprint refused to replace my phone I just broke down and bought the PDAParts replacement battery. Hm that sentence is long. Anyway, with a T6 Torx bit and some skillful use of fingernails the replacement is quick. I've never run my battery below 60% now, even with heavy internet and camera use. It's worth it.
    http://www.gethightech.com/Merchant2...gory_Code=BATT
    My phone's ESN is clearly outside of "bad" ESN range. I don't know if it matters if I post my ESN here but to be on the safe side it is 0960089****. So much for a defect ESN range - any phone can be a defective POS. My phone is a replacement phone from Sprint (not a refurb) for a completely different issue. I have had it for about 3 months now and since last week it has had that network search problem everyone has been discussing on this thread. At first I thought it was a network issue with Sprint, not the phone. But I have about a dozen people that I talk to that are on the Sprint network and not one has a problem. And it is getting progressively worse. Today was the kicker. I was on the phone with a VERY important client and it hung up *network search* I called back and it hung up. Called again and it hung up. He tried calling me and it wouldn't answer, he called again and it wouldn't answer. He called again and it miraculously answered. But it hung up after about 4 seconds. At that point I wanted to toss the phone out my car window and I almost did. Instead, I went to the trusty Treocentral board to find out I'm not alone. As I type, the phone is suffering the same problem. I'm calling Sprint first thing in the morning ang getting this thing replaced.
    I will now have to go to the sprint store tomorrow morning to replace my t600 handset. It all began, i believe, after the newest prl update. The "no service" message use to show once in a while, as of now, i cannot recieve or place a call at all, anywhere. The phone freezes for a second and sometimes the "S" in the "Sprint" brand that shows in the upper left hand corner(network indicator) just disappears?? I guess its time for a replacement.
    Well I went into the store today and got my very own first replacement treo 600... (welcome to the club).... Let's see happens with this one... I said give me a brand new one as a replacement because i spent too much to be stuck with an old refurb... well the refurb looked new and had latest prl... so i took it... besides the rep said if i got a brand new one as a replacement, i'd be stuck with it if something were to go wrong with it... but hey if the refurbs look brand new?? I don't mind getting a close to knew phone every few months...
    pmm12210,

After upgrading the battery, do you still have the network search problem after you run the battery down past 60%?
    Good evening,
    My name is Jbroad572 and I'm an alcoholic.... oops I mean Treo 600 Network Search Victim. I bought mine and was told it was brand new, but it was a refurb (person lied), anyways it was a LL replacement phone. I am having this issue and guess I will be making a trip to SprintPCS with some of these pages from the forums and hopefully palmone proof of the problem. We will see what happens.

Glad to know I'm not the only one.
    I always assumed it was a network problem hence the 'network search' error. I asked my wife who also has Sprint but a Sanyo phone. She never has this problem. So fast forward, I read this discussion, went to Sprint and they have ordered another phone to be here in 3 days. Hopefully it will be fine with this one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Advance The Man
    I always assumed it was a network problem hence the 'network search' error. I asked my wife who also has Sprint but a Sanyo phone. She never has this problem. So fast forward, I read this discussion, went to Sprint and they have ordered another phone to be here in 3 days. Hopefully it will be fine with this one.
    I did not read all of this tread, but it seems that the problem ( low battery and network search) is limited to Treos on the Sprint network.(CDMA).

I wonder if there is something about the frequency or speed or something that makes the Sprint CDMA network different than the GMS cingular/att/tmobile networks.

I also wonder if that is one reason why Verizon took so long. Did the problem get fixed before Verizon released the phone for their system?

Or maybe we have a ton of new verizon users on the verge (three months) of a major recall. Will Verizon replace the phones as well as Sprint did in most cases?
    Curt
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jbroad572
    Good evening,
    My name is Jbroad572 and I'm an alcoholic.... oops I mean Treo 600 Network Search Victim. I bought mine and was told it was brand new, but it was a refurb (person lied), anyways it was a LL replacement phone. I am having this issue and guess I will be making a trip to SprintPCS with some of these pages from the forums and hopefully palmone proof of the problem. We will see what happens.

Glad to know I'm not the only one.
    I too would like ot get up and say "Hi, my name is Dtrain and I too have a Network Search Disabled treo". I'm kinda mad because I've had mine since Last Oct about a wek after theyt were launched. I had no problems untill a month ago and all of a sudden i keep getting the usual network search but it didnt affect me too often and I thought it was just bad reception.(terrible at my house!) But then it has to "update date book" every 2 mins and that, as you all know, freezes everything for a couple of seconds. SO I went to my local Sprint store and left it with them to test and lo and behold it failed the network sensitivity test. So new one on the way here hopefully Monday. I asked if it would be new or refurb because I knew they had them in stock because I saw a guy buy one while I was waiting. But the tech said it was refurb that supposedly by contract (w/ P1?) if you have had the phone for more than 2 months they have to start you with a refurb. UUGGHH!!! I tried to beg and plead but I'll have to settle for refurb. Hopefully it turns out ok!! I now know what it's like to "feel your pain!!"
    Last edited by dtrain13; 07/23/2004 at 07:39 PM.