Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    After about 2 hours in the cradle, I hit the light switch and the charging sound came on. Still, just a green lighting bolt showing, but 0% charge strength.

Then, several removals from the cradle prompted an instant - "shutting down" warning, but I quickly put it back in the cradle.

A few more power-on/off cycles and then a soft-reset, and suddenly my batteryhas 100% showing... and now the signal light is red.

I haven't quite figured out how to reproduce this....but at least I'm functioning again. Still planning on stopping at the Sprint store.
    Originally posted by TreoTheo
    Am so glad someone started addressing this issue. I had a rev. B delivered on the first or 2nd day Treo shipped out of HS in October.

Got network problems galore one day (about 3 weeks ago) while on a bus from DC to NYC and after realizing it happened near cities, not just on the lonesome interstate, thought "maybe sunspots?" ;-)

Was still happening back in Manhattan that night. Then "gone" ... until tonight.
    Previously saw a topic about upgrading the PRL list and tried that, but it didn't seem to even improve the signal, let alone the network issue.
    Talked to a CSR and a TechSupport at Sprint---they both had no clue and tried to blame it on local signal issues.

Last week I started getting the turbo-drain and the red X on the battery when charging until I reset (soft). And then the occasional Network issue again.

I'm a physician and I'm on call tonight. I have to receive pages from patients (via SMS) and be able to answer their calls.
    I literally had to go back to the office to be on call. I'm deperately hoping it shapes up at least for the night, once I have the battery charged up.... it's the ONLY phone I have. I really wanna go home <pouting> .

Definitely am getting BackupBuddy NOW (had been putting it off...get VFS version now to backup from SD card if I'm away from work PC--like at home with my Mac!)

It makes me sad <sigh> to return my first Treo that I got the first week they were out--my badge of early adopterlyness... :-( And to smirch my mental image of the Treo as once of the best relaized technological concepts.

Anyone have experience with getting new/refurbished handset from Handspring / PalmOne?
    Do I even need to call Sprint or bother with going to a store? Clearly this is now a well-described phenomenon. I'm bringing these posts with me, whatever I end up having to do.

I called Sprint, told them that my local store told me to call the toll free number to get a replacement due to the charging issue.

I received a brand new Rev C phone in 2 working days...been working perfectly ever since.
    I've had my Treo (Hardware Rev B) since they first came out last year. Tonight I had my first Network Search problem. Took pelican's advice (Thanks!) and called the Sprint Tech support, (1 for English, "Technical Issues", "Placing Calls" then in the queue for Technical Support). Got a very friendly reception from Germaine; told him it was a Known Issue (and to look for the Tech paper on the issue from Feb 2 (Thanks, TreoHugger!) ) and asked him to send me a replacement.
    No argument, no problem, he immediately asked where I wanted it shipped and said he'd include a return kit as well.
    Love my Treo, Love SprintPCS customer support!
    Cheers,
    John
    I tried your suggestion to call Technical support and refer to the Tech Paper.

My guy said that the issue I was referring to was fixed with the latest 1.10 software release and that I should install that.

I explained that I'd already had that installed, and he said I'd need to go to a store to get a new phone.

I responded with my headaches with the store claiming that they haven't seen TREOs in months (I'm in LA).

Then, I referred to the fact that I'd read about others calling in and having no problem getting a replacement phone and a mail-in box. He asked me to wait a minute while he try *something else*....

He came back and said that it's not listed and has no idea how other people are getting phones. He claims the Treo600 isn't in there for ordering.

He said, find out who they spoke with and how they managed to order the phone.

Z
    Originally posted by john_dove
    I've had my Treo (Hardware Rev B) since they first came out last year. Tonight I had my first Network Search problem. Took pelican's advice (Thanks!) and called the Sprint Tech support, (1 for English, "Technical Issues", "Placing Calls" then in the queue for Technical Support). Got a very friendly reception from Germaine; told him it was a Known Issue (and to look for the Tech paper on the issue from Feb 2 (Thanks, TreoHugger!) ) and asked him to send me a replacement.
    No argument, no problem, he immediately asked where I wanted it shipped and said he'd include a return kit as well.
    Love my Treo, Love SprintPCS customer support!
    Cheers,
    John
    Phone tech support would not give me a replacement--even if I offered to pay up front for the replacement and sent the phone in for the diagnostic testing in order to credit me the charge.

They also could not find a tech paper from any day mentioning network search problems or battery drain problems--even after speaking with another agent and a supervisor. And no one had heard of this problem.

They insisted I had to take the phone to the store, that that is always the rule for any warranty replacement, and that even if the store was out of stock, the store tech/rep would call in the replacment--that I could not do it.

Unfortunately I'm being told there is a 3 hr wait for in store tech support (they give you a number and make you drop off the phone) !!
    I'm going to try to go in first thing in the morning.. yuk!!
    Sorry to hear the stone walls you have run into getting your phones replaced. In the past, I have run into some of the Customer Service reps (and some Tech Reps, but not as many) who have been way below standard in the bedside manner department.
    In each case, I've politely thanked them, said goodbye and called back to get a different rep. I've rarely failed to get most of what I expected using this techique.
    Good hunting!
    John
    I too am having the Network search problem. I bought my phone in mid Nov from a Sprint store. How do I know if it is a Rev. A, B, or C? If I return it to the Sprint store, does it matter if they replace it with a new or refurbished phone? I'm not loving the idea of having paid for a new phone, only to walk around with a refurbished one...

Also, is there a limit to how many times Sprint will replace a phone? How do we know these 'new' replacement phones won't start bugging out in 3 months?
    I didn't have the Network Searching problem until...

I was listening to PockeTunes one night, and woke up with my battery drained to 15%. PTunes had locked up and the screen stayed on all night. I was lucky enough that the lockup kept any charge at all in the phone.

Anyhow, I have been experiencing dropped calls with Network Searching ever since!
    I agree that the problem is battery (power) related.

Has anyone else experienced the Network Searching after a power drain for the first time?
    to me also. It started last week and it is getting worse and worse. Same symptons, sometimes I can't make calls (network search) and when I am receiving calls and I try to answer the phone locks up. Missing quite a few calls now. Cal Sprint 3 times yesterday and each person I spoke to had not heard of this problem at all and I was told that I MUST go to a sprint store!! Tried to explain that I travel every week and it is very hard to get to a store!! Didn't make a blind bit of difference. So, will try and get there this weekend and join the long queues !!! Bought the phone in January and is hardware rev C.

This is becoming a major pain as my $600 phone is turning into a paper weight, unless I have it plugged into the mains, which turns my mobile phone in to a wall phone !!!! Arrrggghhhhh.
    Quote Originally Posted by davetati
    to me also. It started last week and it is getting worse and worse. Same symptons, sometimes I can't make calls (network search) and when I am receiving calls and I try to answer the phone locks up. Missing quite a few calls now. Cal Sprint 3 times yesterday and each person I spoke to had not heard of this problem at all and I was told that I MUST go to a sprint store!! Tried to explain that I travel every week and it is very hard to get to a store!! Didn't make a blind bit of difference. So, will try and get there this weekend and join the long queues !!! Bought the phone in January and is hardware rev C.

This is becoming a major pain as my $600 phone is turning into a paper weight, unless I have it plugged into the mains, which turns my mobile phone in to a wall phone !!!! Arrrggghhhhh.
    If you're going to the trouble to wait in line at the Sprint store, it may be a good idea to call first and make sure a technician will be there. Often the technicians who actually check the handsets do not work on weekends.
    I am awaiting Treo 600 #5 in 2 months for these exact problems. I am at wits end...
    I started getting this problem Sunday evening. I called Sprint and they told me they were sorry but there was nothing they could do over the phone, I had to take it to a Sprint store. So today I go to the Sprint Store in Aurora,IL. I walked in and told the tech the problem and the only thing he asked was "Did you download anything to it" I told him no and he told me to hold on. The tech didn't make any calls or even run any tests. The funny things is that when I went into the store, it was of course working perfectly. He went in the back and walked out and gave me a brand new(Yes, not refurbished) phone and I was out within 5 mins. I think this was way too easy, but I am happy for now. Life is Good, once again.
    I started getting this problem this past Friday. Unfortunately with the boards down all weekend I wasn't able to research it very much. So far it has been very unpredictable. Not working at all for about an hour, then working fine for a day or so. Then it had problems with network search hear and there. And gave me a lot more trouble again today. The battery drain has not been as much of an issue as it has been with some others. I know that with my luck when I go into a Sprint Store it will function just fine

I'm gonna try to bring it in some time this week. I'll let you know what happens.

Paul
    add another person to the list... network search and dropped calls have been happening to me all of a sudden. i have had a treo 600 phone since the launch in october without problems until now. one day was absolutely terrible, it dropped every call i made and the the next day it seemed fine. hopefully that will be it but from the looks of this thread probably not
    I went to the Sprint store during lunch, and the tech there I always have a problem with him - but I always find a way to be right...

I go in and tell him the problem. He imediately starts making excuses about why the phone won't ring. Don't you hate that? Companies that are so used to making excuses that they are ready to make them from the time you ask the questions? This happens a lot with tech suport with a lot of companies >

Anyhow, he takes it in the back - of course he didn't find a problem. He even said he tried calling it 5 times, but no dropped calls. He went on to say that he cannot do anything for me until we can replicate the problem... So I argue with him for a little while.

So then I said "Oh yeah... I remember that one of the symptoms was that the time it takes to charge the phone is longer, and the time to drain the battery is faster." He said that the charge should take 4 hours. I didn't hesitate. I said "Here. I'll be back in 4 hours." My charge was at 20%, I drained it on purpose so that I could duplicate the dropped calls in front of the Sprint tech. And the night before I noticed that I put it on the charger for 5 hours and the charge went from 26% to 73% >

I came back 4 hours later, I didn't see him but the lady there recognized me from earlier, went back to get the phone, and said "Here's the new phone. I'll set it up for you."

Moral: I couldn't duplicate the dropped calls in front of Sprint to get the replacement, but the extended time to charge the battery was easy to duplicate!! And remember, when you get your replacement, be prepared to get the PalmOne model Mabe it's just me, but I like the Handspring logo better...............
    Update: As we speak, I am charging the new phone. It's only been 55 minutes, and the charge just went from 20% to 62%!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Stupid newbie question, but how to I find out what hardware revision & software version my Treo 600 is running?
    Open Phone app, Menu, Options, Phone Info...
    Folks,

I got my treo in October, rev C, and brought it up to 1.10 on Sprint when it was relaeased. Never a problem for the longest time.

Then a few weeks ago, I saw the Network Search at home, and called Sprint. Apparently they were having tower problems in Boston.

Had two business trips, and a family vacation where the phone sporadically worked and didn't -- it was driving me crazy.

Finally last week while at a trade show in Myrtle Beach, I slipped into a Sprint store (while the phone was pretty much useless), and they tested it and it failed the "HP" test. Since I was a business customer and they had none in stock, he noted the account and I called tonight and they are sending me a new one.

BTW, I never had a battery problem, except once a few weeks ago (after the NS problem started), it showed full siignal strength until a soft reset. Then it showed the actual, about 1/3.

I don't think this has to do with battery problems, but what do I know...?

Glenn
    count me in, unfortunately. I'm having the same network search problem. When power is plugged in, no problem. W/o AC, 50% fail rate on both inbound and outgoing calls, with the problem being the same sequence others here are noting: "dialing..." then "network search" where sprint used to be. I also tend to get a lot of "roaming" after network search, but it usually goes back to sprint pretty quickly. Never fails w/ 4 bars of signal strength, but often with 3 and below. I'm calling Sprint CS now...
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast