Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 38910111213
    Do you have the protection plan? I think it's only $4 or $6 /mth. You might could get it replaced under this. Also they may replace it since it is an acknowledged defect. I would certainly try. If you account is a business account, make sure you are talking to a business CSR.

FYI, the 600 I had replace about 4-5 mths ago had a bubble in the screen. It never went away so I called for a replacement last week and insisted that I didn't want a refurb becuase of the network searching issue. They said ok we'll send you a new one, but 600 is no longer available, we'll have to send you a 650 - which I now have...
    Actually I think I do have the insurance program. I haven't looked up the details of the program for a while. Does anyone know if I'm only entitled to a refurb as a replacement, or a new unit?

I'm hoping for the "no, we don't have anymore 600s so we'll have to give you a 650" thing.

eKennedy
    Well, I finally called Sprint today about my Network Search issues. A little background, I bought my t600 from HS as part of the upgrade program backn in Oct '03. Worked great until Dec. '04 when it developed the Network Search issue.

Foolishly, I spent about a month and a half suffering with the problem - without visiting Treocentral! I had spent so much time here prior to buying my t600, but then it worked so well, I hadn't stopped by in a while. Thanks to you all, I realized this was a known issue, was a hardware issue that woudl require replacing my phone, and also that I could get it to work if I plugged it into AC (which has helped me limp by).

I wanted to let people know what I was told by Sprint/LL on the phone today: The Sprint phone rep didn't really seem aware of this problem, but she was at least nice. She told me I'd have to take it into a Sprint store. When I asked if there was anything special I'd need to do because my phone was off warranty and I had the LL insurance plan, she said I should call LL directly, because I could probably just get them to replace it and not have to go to a store.

So I called LL. The LL rep told me that as of Oct '04, there is some sort of "total equipment protection program" whereby Sprint will replace the phone regardless of whether it's on warranty...thus saving me from having to pay the insurance deductible. The rep did first ask whether the phone had been dropped or had any water damage, so I assume that in cases like that you still have to go through LL.

So the downside is, I have to make time to visit a Sprint store. The upside is, I potentially don't have to pay a deductible to get it replaced.

Don't know if this is true until I try it, and I don't know if it's already well-known around here...but I thought I'd post it just in case.

-'dog
    Same here...

I called CS, and they sent me to the store. They took the phone in the back for an hour and ran whatever diagnostics they do. When they came back out, they said it had failed the diagnostics and all the test calls they attempted.

The result being that it was covered under the Extended Warranty Protection aspect of the Total Equipment Protection plan, meaning just a $10 charge, rather than the $50.

They ordered me a replacement, a refurb he did say, that's supposed to take a week to come in.

Hope to go get it this Sunday.

eKennedy
    My Treo is failing and am out of warranty and have no LockLine insurance.

My Treo ESN falls in to the ESN range of the Network Search issue. I get the 'Network Search' error when the battery is low (as described).

Given my situation, any way to get this replaced? I tried Sprint customer service and they told me to bite the carrot.

Could my local Sprint store where I bought it help? Any suggestions to plea my case?

What does ESN stand for and if I am reading correctly is Sprint replacing this phone if it is within this ESN range and gets the Network Signal error??
    You could try to add the insurance now. When you sign up, they'll call the phone to make sure it's in working order. If you have it plugged in to A/C or your car charger at the time, you should be fine.

Then you wait the one month waiting period and then take it back to get a replacement.

At least I think you can add the insurance at any time. I was able to with another carrier with my last phone.

eKennedy
    Global Posts
    297 Global Posts
    skydog,

Does the Total Replacement Warranty still apply if I bought mine from Amazon? I have LL but just checking on my options.

TIA
    Quote Originally Posted by thebland
    My Treo is failing and am out of warranty and have no LockLine insurance.

My Treo ESN falls in to the ESN range of the Network Search issue. I get the 'Network Search' error when the battery is low (as described).

Given my situation, any way to get this replaced? I tried Sprint customer service and they told me to bite the carrot.

Could my local Sprint store where I bought it help? Any suggestions to plea my case?

What does ESN stand for and if I am reading correctly is Sprint replacing this phone if it is within this ESN range and gets the Network Signal error??
    Sprint is like Russian Roulette, just keep calling and eventually you'll get someone willing to help. Try talking to a supervisor or a manager, or what they call a Tier 2.

That is a known issue and they should warranty the phone even if it's past the warranty period.
    This happened to my phone about 14 months after purchase. I called Sprint and was able to show that it was a known defect. There's even mention of the problem in the Palm Knowledgebase.
    After a long phone call a Sprint Treo Technician agreed that, indeed, it was a known defect with phones in a certain serial number range (of which mine was one) and they gave me a refurb...which comes with a six month warranty.

If you look through this thread you'll fid the ESN range of phones known to have this problem.

Ken
    Quote Originally Posted by kschoenberg
    This happened to my phone about 14 months after purchase. I called Sprint and was able to show that it was a known defect. There's even mention of the problem in the Palm Knowledgebase.
    After a long phone call a Sprint Treo Technician agreed that, indeed, it was a known defect with phones in a certain serial number range (of which mine was one) and they gave me a refurb...which comes with a six month warranty.

If you look through this thread you'll fid the ESN range of phones known to have this problem.

Ken
    Thanks! Tell me, how did you convince them (or what info did you use) to convince them that is was a known defect. Did you soley use what was in the Palm knowledge base? Did the knowledge base list the serial numbers of the bad phones??

Thanks for the help!!

Jeff
    Global Posts
    217 Global Posts
    This is a huge (and very useful thread), but hard to get old info. Could someone list again the problem ESN range?
    thanks,
    -amell
    thebland,

I went through the threads here and found the serial number ranges and coupled that with the Palm Knowledgebase article on the issue and the tech at Sprint looked it up, found that it was a known defect and told me to get a new phone. One tech did suggest that I had gotten 14 months out of the phone and that's all I could expect. I didn't agree and just said...Thank You and called back.
    Once I got through to the tier 2 support folks it was easy. It's a well known issue to them and they'll take care of it. Of course, they should have issued a recall, but that would have been the honest thing to do...and I don't think that worked in the Handspring line of thinking (and certainly not for Palm when they bought them out).
    Amell: I think this is the ESN range:

09600716001 thru 09600864216

Anyone get their 600 replaced with the 650 (even if you had to come up with the difference?)
    i'm from Bulgaria(north of Greece and Turkey) and i have a problem with my treo 600 too.my friend brought it to me a year ago,but with a car charger and adapter with it for 220v.i think i killed my bat with it,but now i got normal charger bought from "RadioShack".the thing is the wireless mode doesn't want to turn on-once it does,it turns off,even with the charger plugged in and baterry at 100%.we don't have any stores here that offering treo parts,so i should ask some of my friends to buy a 2000mAh bat and to bring(send) it to Bulgaria.and sure most of the internet companies doesn't ship anything to my country ordered with credit cards.
    Ok, so I bought the darn Treo 600 on ebay, and now...dead. I tried a hard reset--will lose everything, but I've become attached to this PDA already. Now the battery's charging..thank God. Any suggestions about how I can keep this baby up and running once the battery recharges itself?
    Global Posts
    392 Global Posts
    depending on the battery's age, you will probably have to install a new battery
    Quote Originally Posted by caspaz View Post
    Ok, so I bought the darn Treo 600 on ebay, and now...dead. I tried a hard reset--will lose everything, but I've become attached to this PDA already. Now the battery's charging..thank God. Any suggestions about how I can keep this baby up and running once the battery recharges itself?
    bought mine off of Ebay as well. I should have opted for the return insurance, as at exactly 3 months, wham, battery issues, service search issues and random lockups and resets etc. Does anyone know if just replacing the battery wiill fix this? PalmOne says just to look at it is $179.

help
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 38910111213