1.    #1  
    I got my sprint treo 600 activated today. Playing with everything. I've installed the palm os Eudora, but I need to figure out a way to get my email addresses from Netscape (mail app I use on PC) into the treo.

At first glance it seems I can export my address book from netscape and import to palm desktop, but that will result in double-listings for everyone, one with email address and one with all other info.

I once tried switching to Outlook for just this reason and it was a nightmare. I don't like outlook.

Any ideas how to merge and maintain my email address book from netscape with my treo?

Thanks.
    Which version of Netscape are you using? I recall that Netscape version 4.7 came with a utility to sync the address book with Palm. It had to be selected during installation.

This thread discusses it a bit and provides an additional work-around.

cash70
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for the link. I can't figure out how to get the exported addresses to find their way into the email field of the correct person's record. (besides doing it manually)

I'm also thinking of maintenance, keeping my email addresses updated in 2 places.

how are others solving this problem? Do so many people use Outlook that no one has ever faced this in various contexts?
    Instructions available with Netscape 7.1:

Netscape Address Book Sync for PalmTM Devices

Getting Started
    When you are ready to begin transferring data between your Netscape address book and your Palm device, follow the instructions under Using Netscape Address Book Palm Sync.

Requirements
    Netscape 7.1
    Any Palm-compatible Platform device (e.g., Palm III and above, Palm m100 series, Palm m500 series and above, HandspringTM Visor)
    Palm Desktop 3.5.3 or greater and HotSync version 3.1.1 or greater. If you have an older version, you can download an upgrade from the Palm web site (www.palm.com).
    Using Netscape Address Book Palm Sync
    Before using Netscape Address Book Palm Sync, make sure your Palm device contains the latest address book data. If you have updated or entered new address book data in your Palm Desktop software, you should first perform a HotSync to update your Palm device's address books with the latest data. This will insure that your latest Palm address book data will be synchronized with your Netscape address books.

The Netscape Address Book Palm Sync installer utility lets your Palm device synchronize directly with your Netscape address books by replacing the Palm Desktop Address Book Sync with Netscape Address Book Sync.

To start using Netscape Address Book Palm Sync:

Start Netscape Address Book Palm Sync:

Open the Windows Start menu.
    Choose Programs.
    From the Programs menu, choose Netscape 7.1.
    From the Netscape 7.1 menu, choose Palm Tools.
    From the Palm Tools menu, choose Address Book Palm Sync Install.
    Note: If Netscape is already running, it uses the address books in the current user profile for synchronization. If Netscape is not running, it starts and displays the Profile Manager (if you have more than one profile) so that you can choose the profile to use for synchronization.

Press the HotSync button on your Palm device to start synchronizing.
    Note: To install Netscape Address Book Palm Sync from the command line, change to the directory where you installed Netscape 7.1 and enter the command PalmSyncInstall.exe.

Synchronizing With Your Palm Device
    After you synchronize with your Palm device, your Palm address book will contain all the records in your Netscape address books. Each Netscape address book is listed as a category in your Palm address book. Your Netscape address book will contain a new address book for each category in your Palm address book. For more information, see Field Mapping.

Synchronizing With Another Netscape User Profile
    To synchronize your Palm device with a different Netscape user profile, you must first quit Netscape. Start Netscape again, and choose the user profile you want to synchronize with. Press the HotSync button on your Palm device to synchronize.

Synchronizing With Another Program
    If you want to synchronize with another program, you must first uninstall Netscape Address Book Palm Sync.

Verifying that Netcape Address Book Palm Sync Is Installed
    To verify that you have established a HotSync connection with Netscape, right-click the HotSync Manager icon in the system tray, and choose Custom. The Custom dialog box should display "Netscape Address Book" in the Conduit list.

Synchronization Guidelines
    Maximum number of address books
    A maximum of 15 address books can be synchronized.

Netscape Address Book Palm Sync can synchronize only the first 15 address books due to the Palm device's limit of 15 categories. Before you synchronize, make sure that the total number of categories plus the total number of Netscape address books does not exceed 15. Palm categories that have the same name as a Netscape address book will be merged when you synchronize, so they should only be counted once.
    If your Palm address book already contains 15 categories, you can either remove some categories before you synchronize or make sure that your Netscape address books are named the same as the Palm categories, so that they will get merged when you synchronize.
    Netscape address book fields
    Netscape address book fields, with the exception of the Notes and Address fields, cannot contain multiple lines. When you synchronize, field values in your Palm address book will be converted to single line entries in your Netscape address book, with each line separated by a comma.

Palm Categories and Netscape Address Books
    On your Palm device, address records are stored in categories. In Netscape, address records are stored in address books. Netscape Address Book Sync matches Palm categories and Netscape address books. After a successful synchronization, each Palm device category will have a corresponding Netscape address book.

Palm category names are limited to 15 characters, so if you have a Netscape address book name that is longer than 15 characters, its corresponding category name will be truncated on the Palm device.

cash70
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

5.    #5  
    WOW!
    Where did you find that? I've been scouring my Netscape 7.1. I have no menu or help items for "palm" and nothing like this under "sync".

Was this something I would find under custom installation? Some sort of plug in?

I can't find these features in my netscape 7.1

OH WAIT...
  6.    #6  
    I do see it now, but it says that it will switch my WHOLE address book to sync with netscape instead of palm desktop.

I'm just trying to get my email addresses in there.

I'm going to play with it a little and see how badly I can mess my address book up (that's the way these experimental "seems like a good idea" things tend to go with me)

I'll let you know.
  7.    #7  
    Well, it "worked' but not the way I would have liked.

It basically made multiple entries instead of something "smarter" like matching same names and combining records.

The effect is the same as if I would have exported my address book to a text file and imported it to the Palm (something I have done before), and for me this results in over 100 records titled "-Unnamed-" being imported into Palm (hey, I'm consistent: I keep my netscape address book as slopily as I keep my palm address book)

I'm in doubt that there is a convenient solution for this.
    I don't think that there is another way to sync Netscape. That is why I ended up switching to Outlook.

cash70

9.    #9  
    Thanks to cash70 for the info about the palm sync thing.

I think I've made something work which solves my email address problem, letter characters in phone number problem and problem where there's more than one phone number in each record.

It's called massive manual palm address book housecleaning.

I exported/imported all my netscape addresses into palm, then I just sat for a few hours last night and sorted everything out. Put one phone number per field, swapped numerals for letters in phone numbers, matched email addresses to correct people.

Now I hope that the magic will begin. I deleted every single address/address book from netscape, then synched it all back in from the palm. Now it's nice an neat in Palm and nice and neat in Netscape. I still like to synch for everyday use with palm, but I hope if I keep my netscape address book maintained like it is now, I can do just an occasional sync to keep the email addresses updated in palm.

For others who don't want to do the housecleaning, I suggest: your address book is a mess anyway so just export addresses from netscape and import to palm. you'll have double, tripple and more listings for some people, but so what... you'll still be able to access it all (and your address book is a mess anyway, even though I know and you know you mean to clean it up "some day.")