Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I understand that this may be a purely east coast phenomenon, but I know from other posts that this is affecting a fair number of people. For the last five days (at least) I have had many hours each day where my Vision service is completely unusable, including basically every night from about 6pm on. I specify Vision service because I'm still able to use my Palm email program and send and receive text messages. When attempting to load web pages I often get stuck perpetually sending or receiving...or receiving at data rates so slow as to render the whole process worthless. Mostly I just get a data timeout. Even during the day when things are basically working, the speeds at which I'm browsing are sooooo much slower than they were just a week ago.
    I've spoken on three occasions to Vision techs (which means about 2 hours on hold) and they say they know a network problem exists and that said problem should be fixed in 12 hours. Web browsing usually seems better the next morning, only to end up back in the crapper later in the day. Like I said, I know that other people are having problems and I know this has been discussed in other threads, but can anybody shed any light on what the hell is actually going on...is this a Vision problem, Treo 600 problem or Blazer problem? Or something else? And can we expect this to truly get better? Not just for a few hours...
    I've been having the exact same problems in DC. Can anyone offer any help, or real information?
    I saw this exact same thing over the last couple of days, and was about to start a thread on it. Same thing - just when browsing. But - today, all seems just fine. Pages load as usual, and response time fast as it had been. I am in the Dallas area. Hope it's all settled out now.
    pretty awful overall in new jersey, lately, too
    Yeah, I've noticed this, too. However, the slowdown only seems to happen with Blazer. I've been trying out Xiino lately, and whenever Blazer just hangs on sending, Xiino seems to work just fine. So... I have no idea what this means.
    Originally posted by colonelmustard
    I'm still able to use my Palm email program ....
    Email also uses vision. Is send/receiving email sporatic or slow?
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    Originally posted by ChemEngr

Email also uses vision. Is send/receiving email sporatic or slow?
    Yes! I'm in South Florida, and I have noticed that when I use "send/receive" on my email program ( Snappermail, HS Mail and I've also tried Aerelon), it takes forever to connect and often just times out.

This is a common occurance. Yet later on, it connects with no problems. It's not the mail server because I can connect from my PC with not problems at the same time interval.

Hmmm.
    My service has been slowly degrading since the beginning of January. Latency has become extreme, as well as total failure to connect to PCS Vision services... (Signal strength is high, and voice calls are fine.)

I'm starting to get a little pissed...

;-(
    "I see dead pixels..."
    In Tallahassee, not only does vision suck, but whenever I try to make a phone call and switch to speakerphone immeadiately after dialing, the system locks up, does a network search, the S in sprint disappears, the call makes two clicks, hangs up, vision tries to connect and gets a Error 3000, tries to connect again and goes thru but extremely slow. Sprint has some explaining to do
    Last edited by jfmcdowell357; 01/17/2004 at 04:30 AM.
    Jeez, I've been reading these forums for weeks looking for posts about these exact same problems. I thought I was the only one having them!

I've noticed that Vision is up and down like a yoyo, even in the wee hours of the morning. Email (VersaMail), Blazer it doesn't seem to matter. Sometimes it works, other times it just refuses to connect.

I've given this issue quite a bit of thought, consider this:

1. The Treo 600 has been an EXTREMELY popular product for Sprint. I shopped for several days to find one in metro Detroit. Several friends have told me they're waiting up to 3 weeks to get them.

2. Sprint isn't offering any other devices, besides the Pocket PC Phones, that can really take advantage of PCS Vision. Regular phones can access Vision, but most phone users simply don't use it that much. Not for web browsing, anyway. Many of the Sprint users I know aren't even aware they have it on their phone!

So, is it safe to assume that the sudden flood of Treo's onto Sprint's network is causing an unanticipated strain on the Vision network? I use mine quite often when ever the need arises. I check both of my email accounts every 30 minutes, I also have a VPN connection to my home PC. I think it's likely that we Treo users might be the cause of the problem. I don't think it unlikely that Sprint simply hasn't considered the demand that smartphones would put on their network.

It's possible I'm completely wrong here, but there sure are a lot of users complaining about connection issues.

Any thoughts?
  11.    #11  
    I had considered the "too many treos for the network possibility" and, you're totally right, I don't doubt for a second that Sprint would underestimate the data strain of all these smarthphones. I was told by vision tech number 3 that they are upgrading a bunch of towers along the east coast. They know this is causing problems with Vision, or data or whatever it's called but should resolve itself soon. I had heard somewhere that sometime in early 2004 PCS Vison was supposed to get a speed boost...maybe that's what they are trying to accomplish with these upgrades (though for some reason I doubt it). Still doesn't explain why text messaging and email retrieval seems to work without a hitch. But then, this isn't close to my area of expertise. Anybody ever try to get out of a service agreement because of lack of service?
    It's not just our smartphones clogging the pipe. The world is over run with camera phones. Look at the explosion of "picture blogs" like textamerica. As if the whole world is insanely interested in what color toenail polish you used today, or how cute junior's drooling looks on camera.

Sorry for the rant, but it's not the strain of smartphones (although cell phones used as modems may be another story), it's the proliferation of Vision picture packs, and the cheap "2 for" Sprint sales. During Christmas you and your significant other could get matching Sanyo 8100 picture phones and swap pictures to your heart's content.
    I had considered the "too many treos for the network possibility" and, you're totally right, I don't doubt for a second that Sprint would underestimate the data strain of all these smarthphones. I was told by vision tech number 3 that they are upgrading a bunch of towers along the east coast. They know this is causing problems with Vision, or data or whatever it's called but should resolve itself soon. I had heard somewhere that sometime in early 2004 PCS Vison was supposed to get a speed boost...maybe that's what they are trying to accomplish with these upgrades (though for some reason I doubt it). Still doesn't explain why text messaging and email retrieval seems to work without a hitch. But then, this isn't close to my area of expertise. Anybody ever try to get out of a service agreement because of lack of service?
    BTW, let it be known that I never intended the "Too Many Treos" (TMT?) concept as a defense to Sprint's possible oversight regarding their network problems. Actually, Sprint has been very defensive about unlimited data access on their Vision network. I think we Treo users have got one over on Sprint.

There are a few reasons why I suspected the "TMT" issue:

1. Sprint just released their first Bluetooth phone, the Sony T608. Sprint offers unlimited data access on every phone EXCEPT the T608. T608 users are limited to 3MB per month. Many suspect that this is because the T608 can be used as a BT modem. T608 users could conceivably saturate the Vision network by using the T608 as a BT modem with any laptop. Perhaps Sprint DID anticipate this situation.

2. Sprint charges Pocket PC Phone Edition users an additional $30 per month for PCS Vision. Perhaps they anticipated heavy PCS Vision use from these customers as well? After all, I imagine that Treo users access Vision just as much, if not more, than PPC users.

While I think most current customers are safe, I wonder if Sprint might conclude that unlimited PCS Vision access on the Treo is bad idea. This could result in Sprint adding additional charges for new Treo users.
    Originally posted by dstrauss
    It's not just our smartphones clogging the pipe. The world is over run with camera phones. Look at the explosion of "picture blogs" like textamerica. As if the whole world is insanely interested in what color toenail polish you used today, or how cute junior's drooling looks on camera.

Sorry for the rant, but it's not the strain of smartphones (although cell phones used as modems may be another story), it's the proliferation of Vision picture packs, and the cheap "2 for" Sprint sales. During Christmas you and your significant other could get matching Sanyo 8100 picture phones and swap pictures to your heart's content.
    Hmmm, this may be a plausible explaination as well. I hadn't considered the Pictures package that Sprint so eagerly gives away to new customers.
    I read somewhere here that Sprint's PRL would be upgraded in February. Maybe that links up with this issue? Re: The tower/speed ugrade scenario.
    I've spoken on three occasions to Vision techs (which means about 2 hours on hold) and they say they know a network problem exists and that said problem should be fixed in 12 hours.
    Seems to be better now. I just did a round trip from Falls Church, VA to Long Island, NY and was able to use PocketTunes/Shoutcast for almost the entire trip (4 1/2 hours up and 6 hours down). I lost the stream for only 3 minutes while roaming.

cash70
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
    Rock'n here in Austin, Texas. As a matter of fact, my Vision connection stays on a lot more then it use too. I would loose it over night , or sometimes from one end of town to the other. It stays connected sometimes for a day or two.

No issues here, perhaps they fixed it?

Nothing worse then a slow connection.....
  18.    #18  
    Vision has actually "worked" here in my neck of the DC area all day...or at least I haven't had any data timeouts. But the speeds are still miserably slow. I've done about 20 dslreports mspeed tests and am getting results that are much slower than usual. Very seldom above 40kbit/s and usually below about 17kbit/s. I used to average above 90kbit/s before the past week of data problems. I don't know how scientific these results are but they do seem to back up the generally sluggish feel I get when browsing.
    Just did a soft reset, cleared cache and got 82kbit/s...twice...hmmm. What does it all mean? Are frequent soft resets part of some screwed up solution?
    I've had the problem in CT most of the week; however, tonight it's working fine - just speed tested at 99kbps - can't complain.

I re-installed WebPro just in case it happens again; I'm curious to see if WP works when Blazer doesn't, considering AIM and e-mail don't seem to be noticeably affected.
    I've had spotty Vision all night. I got my fastest DSL report at 94k and then wasn't able to browse anymore. If Sprint is actually upgrading their towers, great, but they should let us know. I remember on my old Sprint fone (Samsung 8500), when I forgot to pay my bill one month they sent me a text mesg asking that I call customer service.
    So, they have the capability to message all of us at once (I'm assuming) to give us news of things like upgrades. I'm not asking for a day-to-day update, but something rather than nothing would be a pleasant change. It might be to their benefit as well since, if I knew they were doing tower work, I wouldn't call in like I have been.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast