Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    215 Global Posts
    Hi everyone.
    I do not have a bunch of mailboxes on different servers.
    I do not need to have my email sent to me throughout the day.
    I do not need Imap or ??

All I need is a simple Pop3 mail client to retreive mail when I want to.

The Mail app that came with the Treo is fine, but I understand that it is being replaced by Visto, and I really don't need to spend $$ for a software that is being replaced.

Does anyone have any ideas for a basic, plain, pop3 email client? I will purchase one, but I don't want to spend $$ for a yearly fee.

Thanks for any suggestions.
    Darlene
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I would think the Handspring Mail app would be fine. It's standard on the GSM phones and downloadable from Handspring for the CDMA phones.
    I would suggest SnapperMail. Very simple program to use.

www.snappermail.com
    A free and simple pop3 client that I would recommend is Eudora.

http://www.eudora.com/internetsuite/eudora4palm.html
    I agree with "alex_mathews". If all you need is a simple e-mail program. No heavy duty tasks, then you should try Eudora. Works very well and it is free. If you see that your e-mail requirements are growing and you require additional functionalities then you should try one of the $$$ programs.

cash70
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
    I agree with Dune, HS's email app is small, easy to use and does a great job for Pop3.
    See it and download it here:
    http://support.handspring.com/esuppo...sType=RESEARCH
    Jim@treo1.com
    <a href="http://treo1.com">
    treo1.com
    One Stop, plain and simple
    <a href="http://treo1.com/index650.htm"> Visit our new Treo650 optimized site!!</a>
    <a href="http://palmoscentral.com"> Visit our new website palmOSCentral.com!</a>
    Originally posted by cash70
    I agree with "alex_mathews". If all you need is a simple e-mail program. No heavy duty tasks, then you should try Eudora. Works very well and it is free. If you see that your e-mail requirements are growing and you require additional functionalities then you should try one of the $$$ programs.

cash70
    cash70, are you using Eudora mail on your 600? Do you have the problem that after mail is received and downloaded it does not show up in the inbox? I have to exit inbox then go back into the inbox before the mail shows up. An inconvenience. Is there a way to fix that?
    Global Posts
    215 Global Posts
    Thanks for all the suggestions.
    I'm brand new to this forum, but this is exactly the issue I'm interested in exploring. Do either Snapper or Eudora "peek" at mail, in this case on a roadrunner server, or do they actually download the mail off of the server.

This is a critical issue for me in that I'm often sent very large Powerpoint presentations to review.

Thanks in advance for the advice. Look forward to getting smarter about my Treo 600 operability by joining this group.

Bob
    rbrannon
    No idea about Eudora, but Snappermail peeks. It's configurable as to how many bytes you wish to download (or you can select entire message). If the peek is something you like you tag the message to retreive more. It works great, in my opinion.

Snappermail's only downfall is that it lacks IMAP support - but you're not looking for that so it's a none issue.

Dunc
    Originally posted by newtreouser

cash70, are you using Eudora mail on your 600? Do you have the problem that after mail is received and downloaded it does not show up in the inbox? I have to exit inbox then go back into the inbox before the mail shows up. An inconvenience. Is there a way to fix that?
    Hmmm...I am using Snappermail now. However, when I was using Eudora I didn't experience the problem that you described. I will install it tomorrow and try it out to see if that happens.

cash70
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
    Originally posted by cash70

Hmmm...I am using Snappermail now. However, when I was using Eudora I didn't experience the problem that you described. I will install it tomorrow and try it out to see if that happens.

cash70
    I didn't experience it either, but I read that other ppl did.

One thing about eudora, is that it has a mak limit on what it will download. Big reason why I tried so many other email apps.

Other than this (and an occasional hard crash), it is a great app.

But with SM, i don't miss it.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Originally posted by newtreouser

I suspect that you are configured to look at the wrong folder. Be sure that you are configured to look at the Inbox.
    I've got Snapper Mail up and running, but I seem to have a problem identifying/accessing attachments. I've sent myself several test messages with a small Word attachment, but when I open the mail on my Treo, there is no attachment.

I have a basic version of DataViz on my Treo, but to register it, I need to click on an attachment and pull down the version and build numbers. However, I can't do that until I'm able to view the attachment.

Any suggestions as to what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks!

Bob
    rbrannon
    Originally posted by rbrannon
    I've got Snapper Mail up and running, but I seem to have a problem identifying/accessing attachments. I've sent myself several test messages with a small Word attachment, but when I open the mail on my Treo, there is no attachment.

I have a basic version of DataViz on my Treo, but to register it, I need to click on an attachment and pull down the version and build numbers. However, I can't do that until I'm able to view the attachment.

Any suggestions as to what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks!

Bob
    Not sure. I use Snappermail with Quickoffice and jpeg.lite. Snappermail looks for these on its own. Said another way, Snappermail supports these apps. The question in my mind is does Snappermail assert that it knows about or supports DataViz?
    I've tried to send messages with small attachments through my roadrunner account, then accessing them with my Treo 600. I've received each of the messages on my Treo, but none had an attachment with it. I expect I'm missing something simple here. Any suggestions? Could there be a problem with the way I configured my Snapper Mail?

Bob
    rbrannon
    one can limit the size on the HS client too. It alsointergrates very well with the T600 (seeing it was made for it) and it's free.
    my 2-cents worth, Matt
    Global Posts
    215 Global Posts
    After reading everyone's suggestions I have a couple more questions.

1. The link to HS mail shows its beta and will not work with Cingular (which I use). How can I tell if the version I received on my Treo is the small HS Mail that you are referring to? The version I have is 1.0

2. If the HS mail is not what Dune thinks it is, that I will probably try Eudora and otherwise, Snappermail looks great for a 3rd choice.

The only thing I did not like about the HS mail that I have, is that I have to Send and receive at one time. I prefer to EITHER send or receive depending on what I'm working on.

Thanks again for all your help and support.

p.s. what does it mean when someone replies to a message with "bump"????
    2. If the HS mail is not what Dune thinks it is, that I will probably try Eudora and otherwise, Snappermail looks great for a 3rd choice.
    The one to which I'm referring to is the one with the SEND/RECEIVE issue you describe below. It can only do both, not either. This is an issue for me as well since I only use it to send images to textamerica. But I've set it up to check my sprintpcs.com email account which never has any mail in it as a workaround...

The only thing I did not like about the HS mail that I have, is that I have to Send and receive at one time. I prefer to EITHER send or receive depending on what I'm working on.

p.s. what does it mean when someone replies to a message with "bump"????
    To bump a thread means to reply to it so as to bump the thread to the top of the thread listings. Typically done by someone who needs an answer but noone has responded and the thread is falling further and further down the list (where it will get seen less and less often).
    Global Posts
    215 Global Posts
    Thanks dune!
    It is becoming clear now
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast