1.    #1  
    Is there an external RS232C serial port on the Treo 600? I've got a Palm app that needs to communicate with external serial devices, and I'd love to ve able to run in on my phone.
    Handspring sell a serial cable and you can hotsync with it.

You need to do some modification/hack if you want to use it for external device. A mere null modem adapter will not do.

The answer is, yes, it is possible. But it can be complicated.
    http://pc-mobile.net
    Any more details? I'd love to be able to use the diagnostic/tuning program I have for my car, but I need a serial port to connect to the ECU.
  4. ceb
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
    Originally posted by dune
    Any more details? I'd love to be able to use the diagnostic/tuning program I have for my car, but I need a serial port to connect to the ECU.
    If you are using ProDiag for Audi/VW then the serial hot sync cord will work fine. Of course you'll need the adaptor for the other side too......
    Cheers

Charles
    The Serial Cable sold for Hotsyncing is the one to use.

It is wired as just that, a RS232 interface, just has an enhancement for sending a handshack to the hotsync software.
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    Yes the Handspring Serial Hotsync cable would supply RS232 on the DB9 end. However, it also requires power (3V) be provided via pin 7 (if i remember correctly) in order to power the inverters inside the cable to convert from TTL to RS232. Even though external power can be supplied with the Serial Hotsync cable, it is only used to power the treo itself.
    Originally posted by kevp913
    Yes the Handspring Serial Hotsync cable would supply RS232 on the DB9 end. However, it also requires power (3V) be provided via pin 7 (if i remember correctly) in order to power the inverters inside the cable to convert from TTL to RS232. Even though external power can be supplied with the Serial Hotsync cable, it is only used to power the treo itself.
    Huh? Sorry, are you saying the cable DOES needed to be modded or does NOT?

Ceb, no, it's Analink for the Miata Link ECU.

When I used my iPaq (different software obviously), serial sync cable <- null modem adapter -> ecu cable worked fine. That's NOT the case with the Treo?
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    Ok. The treo itself does not have a RS232 port (ie, doesn't use RS232 signalling). It uses TTL. Handspring's Serial Hotsync cable converts the TTL into RS232 so you can plug the treo into your computer's serial port. In order for the conversion to take place within the cable, power is taken from the serial port on your computer and it then powers the internals within the cable. Make sense? So, I'm not sure of the exact setup of your ECU serial setup, but it may or may not be compatible without modification.
    Originally posted by kevp913
    Ok. The treo itself does not have a RS232 port (ie, doesn't use RS232 signalling). It uses TTL. Handspring's Serial Hotsync cable converts the TTL into RS232 so you can plug the treo into your computer's serial port. In order for the conversion to take place within the cable, power is taken from the serial port on your computer and it then powers the internals within the cable. Make sense? So, I'm not sure of the exact setup of your ECU serial setup, but it may or may not be compatible without modification.
    Aha. Thanks for the clarification. I think it was just like that on the iPaq (as the default sync/cradle is USB and the serial cable was extra). Now, something else to buy!
    here's a source for cables that also have power for RS232
    http://www.pcables.com/prod1.html

Also see this thread for more information.

Conrad