1.    #1  
    i had started a thread a while back asking for help in finding a way to lock the treo quickly and easily. i am happy to now find out that launcherx 1.1 has its own way to do this that i didn't know about until today ( i have had the launcher since this new version came out). anyway, from the main screen, simply select menu then F. from there, the treo shuts done automatically. nice
    Last edited by southbound747; 01/15/2004 at 09:14 AM.
    Sprint Treo 700p, Sony UX/TX, u720,
    Edirol R-09, Mitsu PK 20, Mimio
    In order to re-open, is it a matter of keying in a password?
  3.    #3  
    well yeah. it is still the same old way to lock any palm device...via the password. it just does it faster. just 2 buttons from the application page of launcher x. other people on this site have an app where you press a series of boxes whise sequence you program as a password. that doesn't do much for me. a password is a password...whether it is alpha-numeric or boxes. in fact. i am trying to avoid using the stylus or touch the screen as much as possible.

so yeah....you need to then turn it on regularly after it is locked. power button > password > etc.

but that is the point too. i wanted to lock it to prevent prying eyes...password is the only way i know to do that.
    Last edited by southbound747; 01/15/2004 at 08:45 AM.
    Wouldn't menu+alt D be a two step process? Why not just hit the on/off hard button? Plus you don't need any special software to do it.
    Mike
  5.    #5  
    ok mike help me out here. the on/off button is the power button...top row...furthest to the right of the 5 way nav button. and you say pressing this twice will automatically lock the treo?
  6.    #6  
    first of all it is menu + F, not D. when i tried the power button twice (as you said mike) it went off....like it would for the power button once...but it just went into keyguard mode...that is not being locked. and yeah it isn't for everyone. many people don't use launcher x. but for those who do, i just wanted to share this way. and yes it a 2 step process. and even 3 if your aren't in the application menu. if anyone finds a faster way....please share it.
    Originally posted by southbound747
    i had started a thread a while back asking for help in finding a way to lock the treo quickly and easily. i am happy to now find out that launcherx 1.1 has its own way to do this that i didn't know about until today ( i have had the launcher since this new version came out). anyway, from the main screen, simply select menu then F. from there, the treo shuts done automatically. nice
    I'd say RTFM, but I'm guilty of missing a whole bunch of features, too. You don't need any applications, or any fancy key combinations to lock your palm. Try this:

Go to the Security App. Assign a password. Now select the "Auto Lock Handheld" text box and choose "on power off."

Now, everytime you turn off your palm with the power button, or it times out, your device is locked automatically. But note that the built in palm security is widely considered to be very weak. Check out OnlyMe for a far stronger lock.

HTH,
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
  8.    #8  
    yeah that is a way to go too...autolock. but the problem there is that it also will go off automatically while it is idle... 'timing out." there are many times i don't want that to happen. it really shouldn't be hard to lock a palm easily when you want to without it happening while it is idle too.

i'd like, ideally, a one-step process that i can initiate. but thanks for the heads up on the weakness on the palm lock. i will check out that other software you suggested.

ps...hth...is "happy to help?" and rtfm...is what? maybe... "refer to the F***ing manual?
    Last edited by southbound747; 01/15/2004 at 09:19 AM.
    If you've got data on your palm that you think is important enough that you want to lock it, you probably want it to happen automatically. At least I do. If I have to manually lock it when I want, then I know that, at least some of the time, I'll forget to lock it when I should.

The Palm security app does give you an option to have it lock after a certain period of inactivity, say 5 minutes. So if you want to be able to turn it back on quickly after it times out, that option might work.

OnlyMe, btw, also locks automatically. It also has a "lock delay" and can be set so the lock delay applies when the device times out, but locks immediately if you power off with the switch.

And one feature that I like: you can set it so that if you type the first character of your password within 2 seconds after power on, it will unlock. After 2 seconds, the entire password must be entered. Compromises security a little bit, but since (hopefully) no one else will know, the likelyhood of someone accidently unlocking the device seems slim. In any case, it's optional.

Oh, one problem: While you can accept a call without entering the password, you can't hang up until you do. The developer is working on that, I think.

If it's only certain information you want to keep secret (passwords, pins, credit cards, etc.) rather than your address book, calendar, and the like, take a look at Cryptinfo. It uses serious 128 bit encyption to really protect that information. I've used it for years and find it very reliable. There are similar products out there, but I have no experience with them.

Finally, if you want industrial strength security, check out PDA Defense Professional. It let's you selectively encrypt databases on your PDA when you shut down, in addition to locking the device. I tried it, but found it too intrusive for my needs. And I don't know how it would interact with the phone features.

Both the CryptIno and PDA Defense products have some very good discussion of security in their documentation, IIRC.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    HTH= Hope that helps

RTFM= Read the friggin manual-

You were close!