Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I dont think anyone have posted the answer to this question yet. So, is the T-Mobile version locked or not?
    I talked to 2 different T-Mobile guys yesterday at Southdale in Minneapolis and they both said T-Mo will unlock any of their phones after a 90 day period because of subsidization, they need some time to recoup their money in billing.

I haven't actually checked with my Treo 600 yet - 'course I just got it 20 minutes ago, YES!

It came with another SIM card. What am I going to do with another SIM card?

I can actually use both of my phones now I guess.

Anybody want to buy a Treo 180. Still in great shape!
    I wonder if they will both ring if someone calls me?
  4.    #4  
    Originally posted by archie
    I wonder if they will both ring if someone calls me?
    Write your number and Ill ring you.
  5.    #5  

I haven't actually checked with my Treo 600 yet - 'course I just got it 20 minutes ago, YES!

Ok, whenever you get a chance...
  6. cvt
    touchdown - why do you care? i thought your treo was already unlocked. ;-)
    No T-Mobile logos anywhere that I can see yet - including the phone itself and the software/apps. Just the T-Mobile text in the upper left of screen noting the provider.
  8.    #8  
    Originally posted by cvt
    touchdown - why do you care?
    Curious. Plus if they are locked, it means there would be a larger potential customer base for an unlocking service.

Originally posted by cvt
    i thought your treo was already unlocked. ;-)
    Thats correct.
  9.    #9  
    No T-Mobile logos anywhere that I can see yet - including the phone itself and the software/apps. Just the T-Mobile text in the upper left of screen noting the provider.
    Ok. This means that the software has not been T-Mobile branded. It is of course possible that the phones are locked even if the software is not branded.

The easiest way to know for sure is to test with a SIM-card from another provider.
    If the phone is SIM locked you cannot call it.
    And the MMS app has a big Handspring logo on the entry page/first message.
  12. cvt
    Originally posted by touchdown

Curious. Plus if they are locked, it means there would be a larger potential customer base for an unlocking service.

well, i presume that you will suitably compensate archie for helping in your "market research".
  13.    #13  
    Originally posted by cvt

well, i presume that you will suitably compensate archie for helping in your "market research".
    Of course.

OT - I just won/purchased another locked treo600 off ebay. Those last minutes before the auction ends... adrenaline flowing, heart pumping like Im being chased by a lion...hmm...worrysome... I think I could become en ebay junkie! I better watch out...
    I don't know if the T-Mo Treo is sim-locked, but it certainly is provider-locked. The option to enter a new internet connection or a dial-up e-mail connection is not allowed.
    Andrew
    T-mo has unlocked phones for me on request. Takes 2-3 days. Also remember to upgrade your account for international roaming. (if you need it)
    Originally posted by Andrew-NYC
    I don't know if the T-Mo Treo is sim-locked, but it certainly is provider-locked. The option to enter a new internet connection or a dial-up e-mail connection is not allowed.
    Andrew
    If you mean you can't edit the network settings for T-Mobile, that has nothing to do with the phone being locked to a provider. The provided T-Mobile network settings are on the sim card, and are marked as not editable. This is the case whether the phone is "sim" locked or not, and is done so you can't accidentally mess them up. I'm pretty sure that T-Mobile can update them over the air, if they want to.

The "other" setting in the network preferences is used to add new network settings, and you can add as many as you want, of any type.

I do wish I could view the T-Mobile provided settings though...

Bill S
    Originally posted by tvBilly

If you mean you can't edit the network settings for T-Mobile, that has nothing to do with the phone being locked to a provider. The provided T-Mobile network settings are on the sim card, and are marked as not editable. This is the case whether the phone is "sim" locked or not, and is done so you can't accidentally mess them up. I'm pretty sure that T-Mobile can update them over the air, if they want to.

The "other" setting in the network preferences is used to add new network settings, and you can add as many as you want, of any type.

I do wish I could view the T-Mobile provided settings though...

Bill S
    I always thought that too but I am confused now. On my Treo 270, I had numerous connection options. Moved the SIM card to a 600 and I only have T-Mobile options.
    Enquiring minds want to know ...
    Well, I don't know anything about your 270, (or any 270 ) but my guess would be that the 270 has some network settings you or someone else entered, as well as the standard T-Mobile settings that are read from the SIM card.

The network settings don't have to be on, or come from the SIM card.

I'd also guess that the settings on your 270 are editable and can be deleted, except for the ones that live on the SIM card which you can also see when you put it in the T600.

If you use the "other" menu popup in the T600 to create some more network settings, I'm pretty sure they aren't stored to the SIM card, and don't follow it from phone to phone.

Bill S
    Well, I don't know anything about your 270, (or any 270 ) but my guess would be that the 270 has some network settings you or someone else entered, as well as the standard T-Mobile settings that are read from the SIM card.

The network settings don't have to be on, or come from the SIM card.

I'd also guess that the settings on your 270 are editable and can be deleted, except for the ones that live on the SIM card which you can also see when you put it in the T600.

If you use the "other" menu popup in the T600 to create some more network settings, I'm pretty sure they aren't stored to the SIM card, and don't follow it from phone to phone.

Bill S
    Well dunno if this helps, but I have a T-Mobile Treo 180 which also has a bunch of connection options that I did not enter (and no one else has used my unit, I got it brand new when the 180 was first released). So my guess is the 270 is similar and the connections were pre-installed on the phone itself (by the provider perhaps?), which would explain why moving the SIM card to the 600 doesn't bring along that same list of connections. I never saw a 180 or 270 from another provider to see if the connections listed were different. But whatever the case, it sounds like they aren't all tied to the SIM.

Bill S
    Which I routinely use. I have defined a dial connection to my ISP that I use as a backup for GPRS. Have needed it several times when I was roaming on a(n) (offshore) network that did not support GPRS (there was a competing network that did support GPRS but I needed to get online to find it) and twice when T-Mo GPRS was simply down.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast