Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Originally posted by BaltimoreTreo

I always thought that too but I am confused now. On my Treo 270, I had numerous connection options. Moved the SIM card to a 600 and I only have T-Mobile options.
    They were stored on the 270, not the SIM. Just re-define them on the 600.
    Network settings are never stored on the SIM card. In the Treo 600's case they are stored somewhere in a preference file. If you don't believe me then simply download the Treo 600 Emulator from handspring and perform a network HotSync. It will create an virtual replica of your unit and you will see all those network settings in the emulator. Oh, and yes, these settings can be provisioned over the air. This gives T-Mobile full control to ensure that their customers are using the correct settings.
  3.    #23  
    Have someone with a T-mobile version had a chance yet to test with a non T-mobile SIM-card to find out if it is locked to the T-mobile network?
    This whole thread asked if the T-Mobile Treo 600 is locked to T-Mobile, yet, with all the users that goth theirs, no one has answered the question. Come on guys, is it locked or not.? We all know that T-Mobile will give you an unlock code if you ask for it, but that isn't the information we are looking for in this thread. It always amazes me how a simply thread question can go off on so many unrelated tangents that circumvent the subject of the thread. Another example of this is the price paid for the Treo 600 from T-Mobile. I am yet to read a single post or thread that mentions how much you paid for a T-Moblie Treo 600. Is this information some kind of secret???? I beginning to wonder if anyone really got a T-Mobile Treo 600. And since we are talking about tangents, maybe those who have got theirs, can share with us what image/message appears on the screen when you turn on the wireless mode. Thanks.
    shf
    I understand, I've wanted to test mine but have literally not had time to go in search of a spare SIM card since I got it. If no one else gets to it first, I will eventually test it.
    Enquiring minds want to know ...
    Originally posted by BaltimoreTreo
    I understand, I've wanted to test mine but have literally not had time to go in search of a spare SIM card since I got it. If no one else gets to it first, I will eventually test it.
    Can you at least provide answers to the other two questions? Price and start-up screen?
    shf
    Originally posted by shfawaz
    Can you at least provide answers to the other two questions? Price and start-up screen?
    I thought the "start-up screen" question was already answered...

Originally posted by archie
    No T-Mobile logos anywhere that I can see yet - including the phone itself and the software/apps. Just the T-Mobile text in the upper left of screen noting the provider.
    Under the Options menu item of the phone app, when you choose the "Select Network..." option, it then says, "Searching for available networks. Please Wait."

When the dialog comes up after about 5 seconds, I can choose T-Mobile or AT&T Wireless. At the bottom is a checkbox for "Automatic Reselection".

I would say NO, this is NOT LOCKED... hardware wise.

Startup screen says Handspring. No T-Mobile "logos" anywhere.

I paid $399 without using my previous Treo 180 serial number.
    Originally posted by jennyfur

I thought the "start-up screen" question was already answered...

I was more interested in knowing if there was a T-Mobile Log splash screen, much like the Cingular logo that appears when you turn on the wireless function.
    shf
    Under the Options menu item of the phone app, when you choose the "Select Network..." option, it then says, "Searching for available networks. Please Wait."

When the dialog comes up after about 5 seconds, I can choose T-Mobile or AT&T Wireless. At the bottom is a checkbox for "Automatic Reselection".

Thanks for the reply. We both posted at the same time. $399 thru corporate, thats a very good price. Did you get a discount or is it safe to say everyone that ordered here paid this price. If so, waiting for Handspring to do a handset upgrade is probably not going to be worth waiting for.
    Last edited by shfawaz; 01/16/2004 at 08:33 AM.
    shf
    And T-Mobile can of course unlock the phone on request. If you are a new customer you have to wait at least 90 days... and then of course pay any penalty that may be tied to your contract.
    In regards to recieving a discount, I honestly don't know if I did. At one time, it was mentioned I would recieve $40 (whatever... ever little bit helps I guess), but no discount was noted in any phone conversation or billing statment.

But I am thinking I can recoup some of this by selling my Treo 180... at least for a serial number. Anybody interested. Excellent shape.

Unfortunately this does not tell you if it is locked - I can do the same thing on my locked AT&T Treo 600 and it shows both AT&T and Cingular.

The only sure fire way to test if it is locked is by trying to use a SIM from another provider.
    Originally posted by jpsf

The only sure fire way to test if it is locked is by trying to use a SIM from another provider.
    Yes, and that is why no one has answered the question. Few people have two active SIMs.

I do have two SIMs, one from T-Mobile that I use routinely around the world. I also have one from Sprint. The purpose of this one is to permit me to receive calls on my Sprint number and make calls on my Sprint account while traveling where there is GSM coverage but no Sprint CDMA. Of course, this chip will only operate in unlocked GSM phones such as my Treo 600 or my Nokia 8890.

Both phones behave the same way when this SIM is inserted, i.e. they do not request a SIM, try to register, and report "out of coverage." This is because Sprint has no roaming agreement with the North American carriers and so this chip cannot register itself on NA GSM networks.

I expect that this SIM would behave the same way in any unlocked GSM phone and would register on any GSM network where Sprint had an agreement.

All that said, my Treo 600 is unlocked (Cingular software and T-Mobile SIM), not the T-Mo branded phone in question.
    How much, whats the romaing costs, etc??

Originally posted by horsmanp
    How much, whats the romaing costs, etc??
    It is the max charged by the local carrier. Think $1-/ minute back to the States. Sprint phones do not work and only those who really do not care about the cost bother with this. Note that you are a Sprint user and were not even aware that they had this program. Of course, you can buy an Ericsson World Phone for $100-, but you have to do it.

If one has a GSM phone and is worried about the cost, one buys a prepaid SIM at a local newstand or at http://www.telestial.com. The difficulty with this is that you cannot receive calls on your own number.

That said, in the context of international travel, one is not likely to spend enough on phone calls to change the cost of the trip much. Similarly, when compared to the cost of making the same calls from an international hotel room, any difference is likely to be in your favor. Finally, any difference in cost is worth it to simply be able to dial the call as you would dial it at home (but do not forget the +; my sister was at the end of her trip to HK before she remembered that she had to dial the plus). In short, on a one week trip one cannot save enough money to cover worrying about it.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12