Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Folks,

This camera is crappy, but what did you expect. Who F&@kin cares. After rebates, this device is $250, a cell phone, and MP3 player, a Palm 5 device, and oh yes a camera.

The MP3 player and Camera are gimicks. The fact that they work at all is upside.

Glenn
    Would anybody here have included this camera, as hs has done, knowing full well the very questionable quality it emits?

The only reason this phone isn't returned in mass as a result of the camera is because of it's insignificance to many, and the other redeeming features, that when weighed, justify keeping it.

By the way, if your answer to the questioned posed above is yes, then you, like hs, don't belong in business.
    Last edited by JTREOB; 01/15/2004 at 12:31 AM.
    Originally posted by JTREOB
    Would anybody here have included this camera, as hs has done, knowing full well the very questionable quality it emits?
    JTREOB,

I would include it -- it does work. You can take pictures inside and outside and e-mail or save them to the SD card. They are not great quality, but I have used the camera a few times for useful purposes, and (more importantly) laughs. Sometimes it's fun to send someone a photo even if the quality sucks!

Consider it a freebie and see how you can use it for fun (and not quality).

Glenn
    Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    Treo 300 = brilliant
    Treo 600 = still brilliant

Bill Gates and Sony Ericsson copying all the brilliant things about it and fixing the mediocre hardware embodiedment while Donna basks in the glory of her new found millionairehood sipping champage in the south of France = priceless
  5.    #25  
    Originally posted by Glenn_Butler
    This camera is crappy, but what did you expect. Who F&@kin cares. After rebates, this device is $250, a cell phone, and MP3 player, a Palm 5 device, and oh yes a camera. Glenn
    I expected a camera without blue dots, a keyguard that actually guards the keys, and a CityTime that actually updates off networktime...

Quite a few people care that they're paying for features that don't work.
    Last edited by gyrfalcon; 01/15/2004 at 12:48 PM.
  6.    #26  
    Originally posted by ToeCutter
    I too have a Rev C. The funny thing is my coworker and I bought our Treos on the very same day at the very same Sprint store. His Treo's camera works GREAT, even outdoors under an overcast Michigan sky. It's a Rev C as well.
    Wonder if it would help to return my Treo and get another one.

Maybe I can find one at a Sprint store that has a good camera.
    Originally posted by Gameboy70
    wireless-doc wrote:
    A simple experiment will demonstrate why I insist the Treo 600's poor image quality is primarily a software problem: take a picture and look at the image as the Treo saves the file; then look at the image once it's saved. The loss of detail is astounding.
    If the image looks good after snapping the picture, but then looks poor when viewing the saved image, then you need to lower the amount of compression during the save. Download the hack from the link posted above, and jack up your Q factor to 90 or so.

The saved image ought to be indiscernible from the original if the right compression level is used.

H
    Before anyone does any more whining about the Treo 600camera (Did you really buy a smartphone to get a camera?) you all ought to check out and study this website by a physician who really understands photography:

http://www.wireless-doc.com/treophototips.htm

Regards,

NateS

Keep in mind that some of the prize-winning photos of the 20th century were taken with a modest 'pinhole" camera.

Photography is about the skills which the photographer is willing to learn to adapt to the available environment, not about the camera.

Did anyone ever look at the Cistine Chapel and say: "Gee, that guy must have had great brushes! If I didn't have such crappy brushes, I could've painted that!"
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    Instead of whinning, let's start posting good pictures that we have taken with the Treo.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I've never owned a "regular" phone, and never will.

Handspring Visorphone, Handspring Treo 180, Handspring Treo 600, PalmOne Treo 650....
    Originally posted by notloc

I'd like trouble someone to try that out, snap a picture or two of some text, and maybe figure out what the minimum focal length of the camera is too. (It might be in the manual
    I wouldn't get your hopes up that you'll be able to snap notes or whiteboards with the camera.

Attached is a photo of a typed single page. The lighting was soft, non-direct, natural light in my office. The camera was held 12-16 inches off the desk (to capture the entire 8.5x11 inch sheet). I used qset to up (er, down?) the jpg compression to 90%.

Not really usable.

- Ben

(I had to compress it a bit further to get it to attach to this forum. I couldn't see a quality difference.)
    Thanks, bmehling, for trying that out for me. You're right it doesn't really look usable. (though, if the focus was only slightly better or the pixel count a little higher, it might have been) oh well, it was worth a try...

Thanks again!
    Luna wrote:
    Instead of whinning [sic], let's start posting good pictures that we have taken with the Treo.

Here is the first of several night/low-light pics unplagued by Blue Dots.
    The avatar photo
    Text photographed from about a meter away
    From the courtyard in Disney Hall right before sunset
    A cement factory at dawn
    The Blue Line at night
    Disney Hall again
    OK, last one (time to get a blog, I know . . . )
    That's Sistine Chapel and it took Michelangelo less time to paint the" Last Judgement" then it will to produce an acceptable pic consistancy with the 600 camera.
    There's just no hiding the fact that the current 600 camera is for the most part useless and should have been of much greater quality. True objectivity fails anyone who attempts to justify the current camera for spontaneous use. Its intended purpose.
    Last edited by JTREOB; 01/17/2004 at 01:58 PM.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast