Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Ok, so I've got a blog at textamerica and I currently use the Handspring Mail app (the downloadable one that comes standard with the GSM phones) to send the pictures to tamw.com. The problem is that the Mail app wants to CHECK my pop3 mail before it sends (which I'm not using) - so it takes 30 seconds to time out checking, before it will send. There is no SEND (only) command and no way to disable the checking.

I don't want to use Sprint PictureMail simply because there's no point in paying for it and it's not what I want anyway.

I use Chatter's IMAP support to GET my mail (as well as send) except it doesn't do attachments (at least not yet) so I can't use it for the textamerica bit.

I'd really love to be able to do it straight from the Pictures app, but alas, there is no spot to add a SUBJECT (Which tamw picks up as the caption). Jeesh. The devil is in the details.

Any ideas?
    Last edited by dune; 01/14/2004 at 02:22 PM.
    I swear by SnapperMail.
    I assume U are using the Sprint SMTP Sever to send? What account are you sending with? I would either set up the Sprint account or check the acccount U R using. U can leave the mail on the server U know. Or do it all thru the XXXX@sprintpcs.com account and not give the addess to anyone.
  4.    #4  
    Alli, I'm willing to give Snapper Mail a try, but to have ANOTHER $$ email program is a bit annoying. I don't think it can replace Chatter for me.

Burkhardi, it's not an account or technical issue really. I can send mail fine. It's the fact that each program is missing something:

1) Handspring mail app can't SEND only
    2) Picture share can't send SUBJECT
    3) Chatter can't send ATTACHMENTS
    Originally posted by dune
    Alli, I'm willing to give Snapper Mail a try, but to have ANOTHER $$ email program is a bit annoying. I don't think it can replace Chatter for me.

Burkhardi, it's not an account or technical issue really. I can send mail fine. It's the fact that each program is missing something:

SnapperMail does all of those things. Don't think of Chatter as an e-mail client, it's an instant messenging client the same as Verichat. That way you're not investing in a *second* e-mail client, but the one and only.
    Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    Originally posted by dune

Keep in mind that Snapper cannot send pictures from the internal Treo memory-- it can only attach pictures transferred to the SD card. I use handspring mail to photos to textamerica, and you're right, it does require checking a pop address before sending. Nevertheless, when my mailbox is empty, HS mail only takes about 3 seconds to cehck it before moving on to sending. I'd suggest just setting up a dummy pop account somewhere that will always remain empty-- this will solve your problem.

A problem you will soon run into is that attachments do not delete from the HS mail database. See the following thread:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...threadid=45923
  7.    #7  
    Originally posted by sbono13
    Keep in mind that Snapper cannot send pictures from the internal Treo memory-- it can only attach pictures transferred to the SD card.
    Good to know!

I use handspring mail to photos to textamerica, and you're right, it does require checking a pop address before sending. Nevertheless, when my mailbox is empty, HS mail only takes about 3 seconds to cehck it before moving on to sending. I'd suggest just setting up a dummy pop account somewhere that will always remain empty-- this will solve your problem.
    This is probably the easiest solution right now - I just have to get the pop3 going (not running a pop3 daemon anymore since we moved to IMAP)

A problem you will soon run into is that attachments do not delete from the HS mail database. See the following thread:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...threadid=45923
    Yes, I saw that. I will have to pay attention to that. Another small "detail" lacking in the perfect solution. ;p
    dune, the dummy account is what I was getting at more or less. U have the PCS mail, jusyuse that 1. It should work fine. good luck! I didn't know about the HS keepong attachmetns either, thanks
  9.    #9  
    Originally posted by Burkhardi
    dune, the dummy account is what I was getting at more or less. U have the PCS mail, jusyuse that 1. It should work fine. good luck! I didn't know about the HS keepong attachmetns either, thanks
    Oh, THAT's what you meant! Thanks, that's a good idea.
  10.    #10  
    Ok, I setup an account in Mail with the SprintPCS server info. However:

1) It doesn't get the mail that I see sitting in the inbox on the PCSMail website.
    2) It doesn't take 3 seconds. More like 30!
    3) But it doesn't error.

I'm using mail.sprintpcs.com as the pop3 server. I don't think that's correct. But pop3. errored - what is the correct server?

FOUND IT: pop.sprintpcs.com (From another thread)

All is well now. Thanks!!
    Last edited by dune; 01/15/2004 at 03:30 PM.
    Oh, THAT's what you meant!
    Yea, I forgot, people can't read minds and someitmes, I make things harder to undstand whenI try to explain them.

My PCS mail takes about 3-5 seconds to check, perhaps the ISP (Sprint) is slow at your end right now?

As far as the inbox, it may not do it after you view it form the web? Send a test message to your sefl and see if you get it? Also it may be set to only retrieve the last 15days or something? Check your peferences. I know on mine, I can let the mail stay on the server as a choice and limit the size of the inital download too.

Were getting there, like you ssaid at least it doens't error anymore...

I found that i can't use the HS mail to send files, I have to use the file to send it. In other words, if I have a Word doc i want to email, i tried to use the HS client to attach it and all I can see are pictures and ring tones. But if I go to the file, I can use the send option and use the HS mail that way. Kinda strange, but at least I know the work around now.

Keep plugging away at this, you'll get it soon. Like I said, mine checks the PCS and Road Runner mail quicly.

A agree, a send only would be nice, Eudroa had that. Also, I would be nice to see all the accounts at once or have a paster way to switch between them. matt
    You can now attach any file in ram or on the external card to HS/Palm Mail with SendIt. send any file anywhere. check it out www.toysoft.ca/sendit.html
    Want mp3/wav ringtones , Audio and Video recording for your Treo600/650? visit www.toysoft.ca
    hey dune i dont know if you know this but pickem will let you sent an attachment (jpeg) only. PICKEM is the name of the software
    Chatter receives attachments now, and will send attachments, but probably not until late this month (September).

Marc
    SnapperMail can now send images from RAM and even has a thumbnail image browser in 2.0 to use to select the image you want to attach. Very elegant and easy.
    Does anyone else have problems using the sprintpcs.com account - in that pictures sent from the HS app arrive at my work exchange account as garbled text? If I send it to my yahoo account, it works fine. This seems like an old format problem, but I can't seem to fix it...
    I use the default sprint app to type the caption. I just type into the text below and it enters as the caption.

Check out http://155.textamerica.com

I don't use any special smtp server just the default sprint app.
    Last edited by 155; 09/08/2004 at 11:22 AM.
    I gotta put in a vote for SendIt. Not only can I attach jpg files to email, but I can attach QuickWord docs, and prc's. It's pretty slick. Using it with SnapperMail.

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    alli why would you have snapper when with sendit you can use it to send and for a total of $18.95 you can get recieveit, instead of 39.99 with snapper.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast