Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    I'm using a SprintPCS Treo 600 and I got a Kingston 512 mb SD card. It seems to work fine for a while and then I need to eject it and reseat it to get it working again. When it stops working, Filez gets giberish for the card name and sees no files on it. Audible player doesn't detect the files on it. Card Export won't connect. Etc. Ejecting and reinserting usually does the trick.

Anyone else experience this? Bad card? Bad Treo? I also had some problems with file corruption using a card reader on my desktop but I thought maybe that was file system incompatability.

Jason
    I get the same thing with a SanDisk 32MB card.

Par for the course, or do we have bad cards?
    Doug "Doberman" Hillman

If you can't be a good example then at least try to be a horrible reminder.
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    Yes! I was waiting to see if anyone else had this problem. Sometimes it just loses contact with the SD card. I have a Panasonic 256MB, and I know it is not the culprit, because I have no such problems with my Tungsten T.

For a while I thought I was the only one.
    I've been using a Sandisk 256M card for two months now. No problems at all. It appears you guys have bad cards.
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    Nope, card works fine in Tungsten, and all three of us have different cards, with the only variable in common being the device.
    I also use a Kingston 512 MB card. I formatted it on the Treo before 1st use, and haven't had any problems whatsoever.

I am also using an IOGEAR USB Universal Card Reader (Model GFR280), which also works great!
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    Maybe I'll try formatting using CardInfo, see if that fixes anything. Thanks for the suggestion, try it later tonite, after everything is backed up.
    I've been using a 32MB PNY for backup and a 256MB for apps, 2 months now, without any problems. I agree with "sleepysurf" Try formatting the cards on the Treo.

cash70
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
    This happens to me with two different cards... It often happens after a soft reset...

I've been using a SanDisk 256Meg card for almost 3 months now without a hitch -- until last night.

BackupMan was scheduled to do an auto-backup at 3:00 a.m.... I woke-up to an error message stating "System Backup Failed. The volume reference number is invalid. (0x2A09)". I sent a message to BackupMan's tech support for an explanation. They said that the Treo did not recognize that an SD card was inserted and that the Treo is very sensitive to bumps/jarring which can cause this symptom.

Well, after ejecting & reinstalling, the SD card was detected again. Then, I did a hotsync followed by a back-up only to encounter the same issue... What the heck is going on?

Related/Unrelated: I started using 'Profiles' yesterday.... Coincidence?
    -Brian-
    I don't have an SD card reader, so mine's been formatted (more than once) in my Treo. The device still regularly loses track of the card, necessitating an eject and reseating.

Nothing major, but a slight pain in the *** that shouldn't be required.
    Doug "Doberman" Hillman

If you can't be a good example then at least try to be a horrible reminder.
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    Has anyone tried replacing the phone to correct this? I'm going to go by the Sprint store today and see what they say. If the card is not consitantly there, then programs that depend on it often crash. Not fun.

Jason
    I've used two different 256MB SanDisk Ultra II cards, a Lexar 32MB card from walmart (very basic, no 32X or anything), and a 16MB card that came with my digital camera (Canon). All of them work fine with no such problems so far. (Knock on wood)

Of course that's what I said about the whole rapid battery drain/network signal thing and the next day it started happening.

Anyway, just wanted to add a little variety to the postings.

--TechDude
    No more dismounting... I have also had an A and B and the B was the one with the problem...

I have revision B with no problems.

Just a thought... does anyone having these problems also have the problem I saw mentioned here way back when about the SD card ejecting easily (on its own?)? I'm just wondering if it's a problem that has been caused by the card being ejected and reinsterted over and over.

I use Card Export to read and write files to the card, so I usually keep the card in mine. I only eject it for the occasional picture/movie I want to take on my digital camera.

I don't have a problem with it ejecting on it's own.

--TechDude
    Sometimes, just sometimes, you get a duff SD card and have to replace it... just like I have had to do. Kingston seem to be OK so far, but scandisk are dubious.
    Any programme or file I have had dodgy times with on card has always turned out to be a card problem and not a T600 one... so I trust my handheld more than the 5 x 512s and 1 x 256 and 1x 32 mb. If you have issues, try another card first... I think you will find it is the cheap card you bought rather than the rediculously expensive PDA... I could be wrong though :-)
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    Originally posted by scudder
    If you have issues, try another card first... I think you will find it is the cheap card you bought rather than the rediculously expensive PDA... I could be wrong though :-)
    That would have been my first guess, too. I've tried a 64mb card that I use all the time in a Bonzai card reader. I also returned my Kingston 512mb card and got it replaced. All three cards behave the same.

I'm on Rev C and don't have a problem with the card getting ejected all the time.

When using CardExport, I have to connect, disconnect, eject, insert, and reconnect everytime to get it to work.

Jason
    Originally posted by jasonf

I've tried a 64mb card that I use all the time in a Bonzai card reader. I also returned my Kingston 512mb card and got it replaced. All three cards behave the same.
    I think he was refering to cheap meaning card speed, not size. (Correct me if I'm wrong) The faster cards do seem to work better in my Treo than the slower ones.

I'm planning on trying one of the SimpleTech ProX cards next. Anyone have experience with those? I know it's a less popular brand, but I'm trying to find a fast card that will work in my camera and my Treo.

The SanDisk Ultra II's work great in the Treo but the camera can not record low res movies to them. And sometimes can't record high res.

--TechDude
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    Originally posted by TechDude
    I think he was refering to cheap meaning card speed, not size. (Correct me if I'm wrong) The faster cards do seem to work better in my Treo than the slower ones.
    I was just listing the small and large cards as an example of using different cards. Didn't even occur to me that size of the card might be a factor.

I may have discovered what WAS a factor though. I have been using LauncherIII because I had the free version from a previous PDA. It seems so far in my testing that everytime I launch LauncherIII the card loses connectivity. I'm going to remove LauncherIII and see if that has any affect.

Jason
    last word on this from me is that even the slower and cheaper cards work, but only if you format then in your treo 600. If you try format from the PC they seem to corrupt. Golden rule for me is to format in T600 and never try to view the files via the PC... this works.
    Just sync to download files rather than use the card reader... not a great solution, but I am convinced if I but cheap, I but often!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast