1.    #1  
    Last night, I was doing a HotSync and left my Treo 600 connected to my laptop via the USB sync cable. When I came back to my office, I went to remove it from the sync cable and accidentally gave it a mild shock of static electricity. After the shock, the touch screen was not responsive, so I turned it off and then back on. After this, all was well with the touchscreen. However, I later discovered that the keyboard was 'confused'. Now the keys in the upper left of the keyboard (QWERT) don't work correctly. The 'r' key acts like the 5-way down button, the 't' acts like the SMS button to the right of the 5-way, and the others don't seem to do anything. No amount of soft/hard resetting or restoring from backup/hotsync would fix the problem. The Sprint service tech I took it to this morning said he couldn't fix it and has ordered me a replacement.

Needless to say, I'm very upset. My Treo is my baby!

Anyone else had an experience like this? Any ideas?
    Have you tried a reset? And if that doesn't work, a hard reset? And, finally, somewhere I saw a procedure for reset that simulates removing the battery. If the first two resets don't work, try that one.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
  3.    #3  
    Originally posted by meyerweb
    Have you tried a reset? And if that doesn't work, a hard reset? And, finally, somewhere I saw a procedure for reset that simulates removing the battery. If the first two resets don't work, try that one.
    I've tried both soft and hard resets (many times) with no luck. I'm afraid to try the battery disconnect reset because I've read stories (in this forum) of people not being able to turn their Treo on again after doing so.

Anyone have any luck with the battery disconnect reset?
    While not exactly the same problem, I have been having a similar problem with static electricity.... When I plug my Treo into the Cradle, it reboots my computer!
  5.    #5  
    For those that are interested, I just got off the phone with the Handspring tech. He had me do the battery disconnect reset, which didn't solve the problem. However, it didn't kill my Treo either.

Anyway, I guess I'm stuck waiting for my replacement to arrive...
    Usually a restart on your pc when you HotSync or plug in the cradle is caused by a poorly grounded PC. Check your PC internals if it is a home build and make sure all the grounds are hooked up correctly.
    Originally posted by palmnerd
    For those that are interested, I just got off the phone with the Handspring tech. He had me do the battery disconnect reset, which didn't solve the problem. However, it didn't kill my Treo either.

FYI - My Treo just failed with EXACTLY the same symptoms as your Treo. I am now also awaiting a replacement. Looks like this could be a hardware design flaw (insufficient protection around some sensitive circuit in the keyboard).
    Originally posted by Dorv
    While not exactly the same problem, I have been having a similar problem with static electricity.... When I plug my Treo into the Cradle, it reboots my computer!

this used to happen all the time with my T300 and my work PC (a Compaq) 2 other people in the office that used palm devices also had the same problem...

Funny thing how it was never a problem on my home pc's (1 Dell & 11 Custom build) or any of the Dell PC's in the office...

BTW - do you have a Compaq or HP computer?
    Originally posted by palmnerd

Are you being charged anything for the replacement? Imsure you h ad insurance right?....... man I know how you feel about your phone... I cry if I leave mine at home.
    :Watch the Sky:
    www.godmode.com
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    Originally posted by kayden75

this used to happen all the time with my T300 and my work PC (a Compaq) 2 other people in the office that used palm devices also had the same problem...

Funny thing how it was never a problem on my home pc's (1 Dell & 11 Custom build) or any of the Dell PC's in the office...

BTW - do you have a Compaq or HP computer?
    I have a Dell and keep shocking it into a reboot. I have the same problem, often (when it is really cold as it has been in January in Philadelphia) when I place my Treo in the cradle, I shock it and the computer (and sometimes the Treo) reboot. It is driving me crazy and I am afraid that one time when it happens, I am going to fry my computer RAM, hardrive and/or Treo.

How do I check the grounding? The computer is plugged into a surge protector, but the shock seems to be traveling through the USB port.

Thanks,
    Jeff
    Originally posted by jglev

I have a Dell and keep shocking it into a reboot. I have the same problem, often (when it is really cold as it has been in January in Philadelphia) when I place my Treo in the cradle, I shock it and the computer (and sometimes the Treo) reboot. It is driving me crazy and I am afraid that one time when it happens, I am going to fry my computer RAM, hardrive and/or Treo.

How do I check the grounding? The computer is plugged into a surge protector, but the shock seems to be traveling through the USB port.

Thanks,
    Everyone needs to be extra careful and be sure to ground yourself to something prior to messing with USB ports on computers...or any port for that matter. Ports are powered units, which respond to electricity, and usually violently to static electricity. This goes for any electronics. When you are working on them, you have to ground yourself to the unit. Usually, this requires touching the power supply casing...as it discharges any static built up in your body to ground. You can almost do this on anything, discharge that is...touch the metal case to the computer...and if it is a laptop, touch the metal lamp next to your computer before even opening the lid. This will allow the electrons to flow from you to ground, thus making you neutral...and less likely to have a problem like this again.

Also...since the cord is a process to use...plug it into the wall first, creating a grounded outlet...then plug it into the computer via USB, then plug into your phone. When removing...remove the phone first, then remove the USB cord.
    <CENTER>
    <strong>
    <span style="color: blue;">Where's the "Make Coffee" button again?</span>
    </strong>
    I was having the same problem. I put one of these mats near my cradle (which is also near my mouse, keyboard. etc...) and touch it before I cradle my treo, no more shocks.

http://www.anti-staticmat.com/AntiStaticOneTouchPad.htm

Not bad static insurance for under ten bucks (ok 12 with shipping).
    Quote Originally Posted by palmnerd
    Last night, I was doing a HotSync and left my Treo 600 connected to my laptop via the USB sync cable. When I came back to my office, I went to remove it from the sync cable and accidentally gave it a mild shock of static electricity. After the shock, the touch screen was not responsive, so I turned it off and then back on. After this, all was well with the touchscreen. However, I later discovered that the keyboard was 'confused'. Now the keys in the upper left of the keyboard (QWERT) don't work correctly. The 'r' key acts like the 5-way down button, the 't' acts like the SMS button to the right of the 5-way, and the others don't seem to do anything. No amount of soft/hard resetting or restoring from backup/hotsync would fix the problem. The Sprint service tech I took it to this morning said he couldn't fix it and has ordered me a replacement.

Needless to say, I'm very upset. My Treo is my baby!

Anyone else had an experience like this? Any ideas?
    If you live or work in a dry climat, you can build up a Static Electrical Charge. As soon as you in contact with a ground source, you will discharge that buildup.

The safest workaround is to simply place your thumb onto the contacts of yout Treo BEFORE you plug in teh hotsync cable. This will release the static buildup before it gets a chance to damage your Treo.