1.    #1  
    Photo Guide

I've officially started an effort to display the results of a lot of my experimentation with this camera. And I have to say that I'm satisfied with using it on an almost daily basis. There are many times when I'm sure I can't produce a usable image and the camera winds up surprising me. This provides most of the fun in using it.

I've been getting a steady stream of emails asking if the production quality control was lacking and some cameras were better than others, but I highly doubt this. People also ask about getting better results. I'm going to try to examine all the pitfalls that work against producing a good image. The fact is, with the Treocam, these problems are exaggerated, but the good news is once you use a simple set of guidelines, you have a very usable, always-at-hand digital camera.

As always, I'm interested in comments, questions or criticisms.

I also want to note that almost all of the techniques you use to optimize the results with this camera can be applied to all digital cameras.

Bill K.
    <a href="http://billkosloskymd.typepad.com/wirelessdoc/">Wireless Doc the blog</a>
    For the benefit of all would you mind listing here the "ideal" user settings in the TreoCam Preferences dialog, that would give optimum results?
  3.    #3  
    I turned off the camera capture sound, which I'm sure everyone has done already. I unchecked Confirm before saving because I have to see the image on a large screen before I can adequately judge it, plus it slows down the process of shooting multiple images.

I use the Large Picture Size, and routinely rescale the final image to 320 x 240. When I was using TextAmerica, I used a setting that automatically did the rescaling when I posted from the phone.
    <a href="http://billkosloskymd.typepad.com/wirelessdoc/">Wireless Doc the blog</a>
    Global Posts
    499 Global Posts
    One think I have noticed, it seems to make a difference how soon you take the picture after the camera is turned on. If a shot is snapped before the camera fully warms-up you do not get the blue dot syndrom. If you wait a few seconds, the image has a blue hue to it. I have noticed this with incandecant lighting.

This image was shot within a second of the camera being activated:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Global Posts
    499 Global Posts
    The second image was shot after the camera had 5 or so seconds to warm-up. Notice that it has much more blue in it.
  6.    #6  
    You're right, and I do have a series of photos showing the adjusting sequence.

There are times where you can accept the color shift, mostly on the warm side, but shooting before the camera has completely adjusted. And, it does prevent the blue blotching even though the overall color appears more neutral.

On occasion I'm repeatedly turning the camera off and then on to take advantage of this. It's rare that I'll wait for the camera to adjust, especially if the light is marginal.
    Originally posted by wireless-doc
    I turned off the camera capture sound, which I'm sure everyone has done already. I unchecked Confirm before saving because I have to see the image on a large screen before I can adequately judge it, plus it slows down the process of shooting multiple images.

I use the Large Picture Size, and routinely rescale the final image to 320 x 240. When I was using TextAmerica, I used a setting that automatically did the rescaling when I posted from the phone.
    Why do you shoot at 640x480 and then reduce to 320x240 on your computer? Why not just shoot at 320x240 right on the camera?

Also, have you noticed blurring on the edges? This seems to be a rampant problem with my camera on the left edge of the screen.
    wireless-doc: I have to say I'm very impressed with the pics on your website.

I'd be very interested to know how much post-processing (if any) you generally do other than the resizing you mentioned.

edit: apologies I've just had another look at your pages and note that you put that you've done no additional editing other than the resize, which makes your work doubly impressive. My excuse for not seeing the comment on first viewing is that I was too busy looking at the pictures...

As someone who's owned a camera of one sort or another since I was about seven (quite a while back now...) I really enjoy having a camera on the Treo as now it's always with me. I now find myself snapping stuff when before I'd be thinking, "I wish I had my camera with me."
    Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Treo 180g -> Treo 600 (UK GSMrevA)
    My advice is to take as many pictures as you can. Quality by volume.
    http://www.firstadopter.com - where early adopters discuss great stuff first
    I wish there is a manual adjustment on brightness for indoor pictures. I can make it brighter or darker by moving the camera between very bright and very dark objects until I get the right brightness, then I will quickly move it back to the subject. The problem is that I cannot get that to stay for more than 1 sec.. most of the picture I took will have the correct brightness but fuzzy because I have to take the picture really fast and cannot steady my hand. If I can sit down and brace my elbow on sometime I can usually get pretty good results indoor.
    Wireless-Doc, good helpful thread.

Question:

I have my camera mode set to large size pics so why is it that sometimes the pics do come out LARGE but other times small?

When I check the setting it is still at "Large" pics.

Thanks

P.S. LOL, I must be the only one on the forum who had not set my camera to "no capture sound" because I thought you couldn't change it. Clearly I have been scanning data and not reading. Just changed it!
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    Originally posted by mo-bile

Why do you shoot at 640x480 and then reduce to 320x240 on your computer? Why not just shoot at 320x240 right on the camera?

Also, have you noticed blurring on the edges? This seems to be a rampant problem with my camera on the left edge of the screen.
    Am I missing something? I thought that they only size options for the Treo camera were Large (640x480) and Small (160x120). How do you set it to shoot at 320x240?
    I've never owned a "regular" phone, and never will.

Handspring Visorphone, Handspring Treo 180, Handspring Treo 600, PalmOne Treo 650....
    wireless-doc:
    off topic, how is sprint in NYC with TREO 600? RF quality? thanks a fellow new yorker.
    Ben
  14.    #14  
    1. mo-bile: The small option is 160 x 120. When I shoot at this resolution I'm only trying to capture basic shapes and colors. But it is a workable setting. For the edge sharpness, I guess you could crop out the edges, but I don't think it's that distracting.

2. Rendition: Persistence pays off.

3. Need: The shifting from bright area to your area of interest in a technique that I've tried and will help even outdoors. It would be great if they could program the D-pad so that the up arrow could increase brightness (I guess the technical term is gamma adjustment), and down arrow darken.

4. ben: text.dslreport speed test - 76 Kbps with 200KB test.

5. geeky mom: regarding the capture sound and the privacy issue, my favorite camera years ago was a rangefinder with a leaf shutter that was essentially noiseless. The sound they use now is meant to replicate the grinding noise of the mechanical curtain of the focal plane shutter used in 35mm slr's from way back when. If your intent is to do harm, there are plenty of photographic devices which can render incriminating detail at lower light levels, noiselessly.
    Last edited by wireless-doc; 01/14/2004 at 09:26 PM.
    off topic, how is sprint in NYC with TREO 600? RF quality? thanks a fellow new yorker.
    I have no complaints. Have used Sprint for 7 years. Obviously there are blackouts in elevators and such but overall works pretty well in the city.

data is much stronger than the phone signal in my experience
    Here's one from our recent Las Vegas trip.
    Treo 600 GSM